My Polo 6C GTI upgrade

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
SamEvans
New
Drives: GTI 6C 3Dr

My Polo 6C GTI upgrade

Post by SamEvans »

Just purchased a 66 plate Polo 6C GTI on the weekend, got a Scorpion catback exhaust on it which makes a great sound that’s not too over the top, it’s also got the DCC + Sport button. It’s great!
A few questions for some existing owners:
When I shutdown I get like a whine coming from engine/behind dash almost a water pump kind of noise, it sounds normal would just like to know what it is.

Secondly and please don’t hate me as I’ve looked over these forums for hours and can’t find a definitive answer. I currently don’t have app connect and have the unit 3q0035820b I’m going to upgrade to the 3q0035842b from eBay.
Has anyone ever had success in component protection removal and to have Bluetooth working at the same time. @Dink I live in S Wales too so would greatly appreciate your advice.
I had the KENWOOD DNX518VDABS in my old 6R and I loved it, but because the C has a different loom and the MIB vehicle integration I can’t use it.
I just need CarPlay or at least a nav.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: My Polo 6C GTI upgrade

Post by iichel »

Upgrading the radio Will likely involve the dealership to remove component protection and adding features will involve a process called swap (software as a product)
SamEvans
New

My Polo 6C GTI upgrade

Post by SamEvans »

iichel wrote:Upgrading the radio Will likely involve the dealership to remove component protection and adding features will involve a process called swap (software as a product)
Thanks for your reply and yes I’m aware this is more of a service and involves dealers/retrofitters connecting to VWs online service and removing such protection. I do hear stories that doing this disables Bluetooth for some reason.

Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

Hi sam

When i changed my unit (i only went from a 42 to 42b) i did it in stages.

Firstly i fitted a second hand unit in the car this puts it in component protection but is fully functional and allows you to check you have the right usb port (rumour is that they are different in non app connect cars)

So then i took it to a local vw retrofit company (iirc it was in caldicot) which removed the CP and this then put the unit in to a basic state. You definitely lose BT and maybe DAB

So then took the car to vw Newport and explained what I'd done and they said it shouldn't be a problem. And when I picked the car up it was exactly as the factory unit but it now had the app connect icon. Being as i specced mirror link from factory it opens up the app connect screen but still mirror link is the only part that works.

So i went back to vw Newport a couple of weeks ago to look at getting the app connect activated and point blank refused to even consider it.

So i may go back to the vw retrofit company and see what they say. If not then it's finding a company somewhere in the uk that has tried it and successfully managed to get it working to do it.
fleagal
New
Drives: Polo GTi 2015 6C

Post by fleagal »

SamEvans wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:55 pm When I shutdown I get like a whine coming from engine/behind dash almost a water pump kind of noise, it sounds normal would just like to know what it is.
I get that too. I figured that it was the CANBUS system staying powered up for a little while until it powers down through inactivity. I'm probably completely wrong but my 2009 Audi A3 did the same which unnerved me for a while until I learnt to live with it.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

SamEvans wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:55 pm When I shutdown I get like a whine coming from engine/behind dash almost a water pump kind of noise, it sounds normal would just like to know what it is.

It’s normal.

Pretty certain it’s the auxiliary cooling pump to cool down the turbo after switching the engine off. Mine does it, and has done since day one (March 2016) of owning the car.
SamEvans
New

My Polo 6C GTI upgrade

Post by SamEvans »

I have emailed VW-Retrofit who can do it for around £500 which is quite a bit but nothing in comparison to those KENWOOD units I had in my previous 6R.
I’m still awaiting a reply from HazzyDayz who seem to offer much the same service.
I’ll let you know how I get on.