Bosch ECU Now supported by Superchips

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Bosch ECU Now supported by Superchips

Post by roywolfey »

Old news but I only just spotted this article which may be of interest.

https://superchipsblog.co.uk/2019/11/01 ... uperchips/
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Bosch ECU Now supported by Superchips

Post by monkeyhanger »

I wonder whether the Polo GTI takes the same coil packs and spark plugs as the 245ps Golf GTI performance?

There's a bit of mod talk going on there at the moment to advise that anyone putting a box or a stage 1 map on their Golf GTI should get RS7 Sparkplugs and RS3 coilpacks.

If Polo uses same set of coil packs and plugs as a 245ps Golf GTI and you're upping power to 240-250os then there seems no logic in changing OEM plugs and coil packs. If Polo's sets are different, it might be worth consideration with a box or remap.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Well I think they will be same or at least dimension will be same and they should fit. But as I said many times before ... this is not completly same engine as golf GTI. It is more like Tiguan engine on steroids. ;) At first look difference is turbo and count of injectors (polo 4+4 vs golf only 4)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dark_cze wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:09 pm Well I think they will be same or at least dimension will be same and they should fit. But as I said many times before ... this is not completly same engine as golf GTI. It is more like Tiguan engine on steroids. ;) At first look difference is turbo and count of injectors (polo 4+4 vs golf only 4)
Don't the 220/230/245ps variants of the Golf GTI use the same IS20 turbo as the Polo GTI? With that in mind, I thought they might use the same OEM coil packs and spark plugs.

Up until quite recently, the Golf GTI used to have port injection as well as direct injection (but not the audi valve lift style inlet).

Not sure if the injectors or spark plug requirements are the same for those Golf GTI variants that use EA888 3 engine (not those that use the EA113 (CS/CSS/TCR), same as Golf R).

Not sure why those remapped GTIs want RS7 sparkplugs and RS3 coil packs rather than the Golf R stuff, if any change is preferable at all.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

to be honest I didn't read about golf that much and till today I thought they use IS38 :D and for injectors I looked at golfs 2019 MY. Looks like i missed it by year or two ... sorry :oops:

Iam gonna keep it stock :) I was used for a little more from 3.0tdi 180kw :D especialy I miss that grip (I already killed one pair of front tires) :? for me 200hp is more than enough for that curvy road I have close to home (cant really go faster there then I do now :D ) and for this city it is more than enough :) also Iam too close to losing driving licence (again) :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dark_cze wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:26 pm to be honest I didn't read about golf that much and till today I thought they use IS38 :D and for injectors I looked at golfs 2019 MY. Looks like i missed it by year or two ... sorry :oops:

Iam gonna keep it stock :) I was used for a little more from 3.0tdi 180kw :D especialy I miss that grip (I already killed one pair of front tires) :? for me 200hp is more than enough for that curvy road I have close to home (cant really go faster there then I do now :D ) and for this city it is more than enough :) also Iam too close to losing driving licence (again) :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I would like to get 240 or 250 ps and 400Nm when my warranty runs out, if there's nothing out there I really want to change the Polo for. I can see me keeping it a very long time and then reluctantly bowing to electrical car usage from 2025 or later.

IS38 is used on the R/CS/CSS/TCR variants of the Golf, 265ps and above.

The back end doesn't seem quite as stable as the Golf on a slight bend and moderate to high throttle. My decision to get rid of the Bridgestone tyres that came with the 18" Brescias was based on exiting a large roundabout at about 2/3 the acceleration that a Golf GTD on the outside lane was using and the back end got away from me , the GTD was without drama. Most of that was down to poor tyres I'm sure, but multilink rear suspension allows both rear wheels to keep more grip than the Polo's torsion beam. I just don't have the same confidence in the back end to behave under less than extreme acceleration as I did in my 2015 Golf R and 2013 Golf GTD.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:25 pm
I would like to get 240 or 250 ps and 400Nm when my warranty runs out, if there's nothing out there I really want to change the Polo for. I can see me keeping it a very long time and then reluctantly bowing to electrical car usage from 2025 or later.
Where I live there is too many coal power plants so EV running on coal is useless and completly defeats purpose of EV. :D
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:25 pm
IS38 is used on the R/CS/CSS/TCR variants of the Golf, 265ps and above.
Thanks I will remember that next time. :)
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:25 pm The back end doesn't seem quite as stable as the Golf on a slight bend and moderate to high throttle. My decision to get rid of the Bridgestone tyres that came with the 18" Brescias was based on exiting a large roundabout at about 2/3 the acceleration that a Golf GTD on the outside lane was using and the back end got away from me , the GTD was without drama. Most of that was down to poor tyres I'm sure, but multilink rear suspension allows both rear wheels to keep more grip than the Polo's torsion beam. I just don't have the same confidence in the back end to behave under less than extreme acceleration as I did in my 2015 Golf R and 2013 Golf GTD.
My GTI came with continentals and they are fine but still there is no way to do fast launch without leaving bit of front tires on road. In this situation quattro had no problem since it doesn't matter if front goes up. I have my polo for year and 2 months now and quiet offten I caugh myself thinking about A4 with V6 or S4 heck even R8 with V8 are getting cheaper. :? :lol: sorry this was quiet OffTopic :)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dark_cze:

In the UK, we're becoming less reliant on coal powerstations - lots of wind farms around our coastline now, but the infrastructure for charging anywhere but at your home (if you have a house with a driveway that leads to a charging point on your property) can just about cope with 1% of UK cars being electric, and our national grid wouldn't cope with the electricity demand if even 10% of the cars were electric. So we have a long way to go yet!

I've had 3 Golfs and 2 Polos from new that came on Bridgestones, and the tyres are not fit for purpose on a performance VW. I have written a letter of complaint to VW UK and VW AG every time it has happened. No other market apart from the UK seems to get Bridgestones fitted.

My Golf R had the same Haldex system as most Quattro equipped Audis. Getaway from standstill is very quick, no tramping, and very easy on the tyres. My Michelin PSS had done 23k miles and were only 60% worn, the fronts/backs were evenly worn.

Ultimately, the Golf R was quick, but it was also quite a dull drive as it was so composed on the road, it didn't feel like a hot hatch. It might not be as quick, but the Polo is more enjoyable to drive.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

Well most of VW group cars are dull to drive. I expect something little different from VW than racing beast. I wanter build quality, easy to get parts and I also wanted a bit dull look. ... I would go back to BMW and even better I would take old e46 again. That was hell of fun to drive. :D

Btw most audis ae not haldex. Only A1, A3 and TT (also Q and S counterparts of these few models) use haldex. Rest of Audi uses Torsen (A4+ and Q5+). On the plus side haldex is getting better and better with every new generation. :)
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:59 am Dark_cze:

I've had 3 Golfs and 2 Polos from new that came on Bridgestones, and the tyres are not fit for purpose on a performance VW. I have written a letter of complaint to VW UK and VW AG every time it has happened. No other market apart from the UK seems to get Bridgestones fitted.
They're also fitted from factory here in South Africa and Australia, perhaps RHD models only then?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ quite possibly. They need to stop fitting them though, as they are awful. The Potenzas fitted to Golfs are every bit as bad as the Turanzas fitted to the Polo GTI with Brescias - poor wet/dry grip, poor traction, poor comfort (rock hard), lots of road noise. They do last forever though.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dark_cze wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:41 am Well most of VW group cars are dull to drive. I expect something little different from VW than racing beast. I wanter build quality, easy to get parts and I also wanted a bit dull look. ... I would go back to BMW and even better I would take old e46 again. That was hell of fun to drive. :D

Btw most audis ae not haldex. Only A1, A3 and TT (also Q and S counterparts of these few models) use haldex. Rest of Audi uses Torsen (A4+ and Q5+). On the plus side haldex is getting better and better with every new generation. :)
I was surprised at the lack of a fuel penalty for having Haldex on my R. My fuel economy was as good as many Golf GTI owners on the Golf GTI forum. In mixed driving I averaged 33mpg. It was poor on the motorway though. The 6 speed manual had very low ratios. 6th gear at 80mph was 3100 revs vs Polo GTI+ 6th gear at 80mph is 2400 revs.

No complaints for me the way the recent Haldex system worked on the R. Unflappable traction is probably what I miss the most about my R, but the virtual cockpit/infotainment screen in the Polo is light years ahead of a pre-facelift MK7 Golf.

Torsen system is for inline and Haldex for transverse mounting engine isn't it? I was sure my mate's A4 190TDI has Haldex. His is just out of warranty and has lots of chrome trim around the windows which is covered in "whiteworm" cosmetic corrosion. Audi build quality isn't always that great!
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:14 pm
I was surprised at the lack of a fuel penalty for having Haldex on my R. My fuel economy was as good as many Golf GTI owners on the Golf GTI forum. In mixed driving I averaged 33mpg. It was poor on the motorway though. The 6 speed manual had very low ratios. 6th gear at 80mph was 3100 revs vs Polo GTI+ 6th gear at 80mph is 2400 revs.
Well polo gti with manual is around 2700-2800rpm. Still I can get aroun 5,6l/100km at longer trips on highway :)
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:14 pm
Torsen system is for inline and Haldex for transverse mounting engine isn't it? I was sure my mate's A4 190TDI has Haldex. His is just out of warranty and has lots of chrome trim around the windows which is covered in "whiteworm" cosmetic corrosion. Audi build quality isn't always that great!
Exactly all transverse engines made by VW group uses haldex. :) oh well I just looked at parts in A4 ... there is Quattro and Ultra Quattro. Ultra is haldex :evil: :x .

thumb_sad-audi-noises-when-it’s-your-110th-birthday-and-no-60544336.png
thumb_sad-audi-noises-when-it’s-your-110th-birthday-and-no-60544336.png (26.88 KiB) Viewed 2521 times

Looks like haldex was optional since there are part for haldex and torsen for 7 speed dsg. I never noticed it since I was looking for 3 liters and bigger. 3.0 uses torque converter and 8 speed :?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

128kmph (80mph) in 6th with the manual box is 2700rpm? That's one hell of a difference from the DSG. I'm surprised your moterway/highway/autobahn fuel economy is so good if the gearing differences are that big.

Your figures are in line with what the Manual Golf GTI is.

Maybe higher gearing on DSG is to counteract what would otherwise be worse fuel economy?

Like for like, my Dad's MK7 Golf GTD DSG was 10% worse for fuel economy than my manual GTD.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:17 pm 128kmph (80mph) in 6th with the manual box is 2700rpm? That's one hell of a difference from the DSG. I'm surprised your moterway/highway/autobahn fuel economy is so good if the gearing differences are that big.

Your figures are in line with what the Manual Golf GTI is.

Maybe higher gearing on DSG is to counteract what would otherwise be worse fuel economy?

Like for like, my Dad's MK7 Golf GTD DSG was 10% worse for fuel economy than my manual GTD.
No need to worry I don't do this long trips (this one is around 300km) offten. so in long term I have consumption around 8L/100km.

anyway Iam sorry I turned this thred into such offtopic :lol: We should get back to ECUs. Please don't ban me ... :D