Negative battery stamp

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Insy79
New
Drives: 2014 BlueGT 1.4 TSI ACT

Negative battery stamp

Post by Insy79 »

Noticed on my BlueGT that the negative terminal is stamped with 34 and 14. I'm assuming that's week 34 of 2014 which would be about right for the car if its still the original battery.

Thinking its perhaps time to think about changing it. Might try and go AGM instead of the EFB type.

Anyhow, anyone else have their battery stamped like mine or know what it may represent? (if my guess is wrong). 8)
Attachments
20200508_164105.jpg
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Negative battery stamp

Post by iichel »

Your guess is correct
Insy79
New

Post by Insy79 »

Thanks. Had a look at the battery settings and it would also suggest it's the original (see image).

Given that it's 6 years down the line (nearly) I'd rather opt for preventative maintenence rather than reactionary so a new battery is on the cards.

Anyone know if there's anything to be gained from shifting from EFB to AGM? I know on my Renault Captur the factory EFB battery was generally regarded insufficient for its needs and an AGM "upgrade" was a better performer in electrical reliability. Different car and brand altogether I know, but principals may still apply.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200508-162142_OBDeleven.jpg
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

An AGM battery is said to be better capable of handling the regenerative braking and smart charging in Bluemotion cars.

But in the latest vw Bluemotion cars, an efb is also fitted. In my own 2011 Bluemotion i always had AGM batteries (Bosch s5a or varta E39) and never had an issue with them apart from old age.
Insy79
New

Post by Insy79 »

Just ordered a Varta D52 027 AGM battery through Tayna. Did look at the E39 but it won't fit my battery tray which is pretty much maxed out at a battery size of 242x190x170 (type 027).

Will report how the swap goes when it arrives :)

Cheers.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Changing the battery tray and insulator for the diesel version would have worked, but that costs another £50+ - I've already bought these parts but the bigger AGM for the diesel is cheaper, that is what IU aim to buy when the time comes.

Its slightly curious how/why VW SA use 1111111111 as the default serial number and JCB who are Johnson Controls as the battery manufacturer when typically they fit Exide.

Good to hear that you chose Tayna as that is my going to be my supplier of choice.

I'm guessing that you plan to change the battery technology to "Fleece" from "EFB" when you fit that AGM and change its serial number to something to maybe include the date when you fit it.
Insy79
New

Post by Insy79 »

I did notice the existing serial number looked a little off, so at first thought the battery had been changed but date stamp on the negative terminal suggests otherwise.

What bought all this to a head was the increasing reluctance of stop start being available and on inspection, lower than expected results when ignition completely off (ie. Fluctuations from 11.6v to 12.0v). That might in itself be normal for a Polo (I don't know) but thought it prudent regardless to ensure battery is fit for purpose with a new one. With the imminent arrival of small feet, I need to make sure the 'fleet' is as solid and reliable as can sensibly be.

I'll amend the data stored to reflect the new battery and the date on install is my intended serial number :)

I didn't think of changing the tray to be honest (nice idea 8)) but I think for my purposes a 60ah AGM will suffice, it's still a minor improvement over the existing Exide EFB.
Insy79
New

Post by Insy79 »

So it was relatively painless to change over. No issues apart from Obdeleven at first didn't want to update the new details so had to restart the app.

The only area of concern was whether it should be set for "fleece" or "binary-agm". Looking online, there's arguments for either option. For now I've gone with Fleece.
Attachments
Recoded
Recoded
After
After
Old (left) and new (right)
Old (left) and new (right)
Before
Before
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Good, I just wish that I could come across a VW Group car that came with an AGM battery from the factory and that was a factory fit upgrade in place of an EFB, but so far, I have not - any car that I've checked that came with an AGM battery from factory has been a car that is only available with an AGM battery so no battery technology option in settings, very annoying!