Exhaust valve and aftermarket exhaust

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Jab123
New
Drives: Mk6 gti

Exhaust valve and aftermarket exhaust

Post by Jab123 »

Hi
Does anybody know where the exhaust valve is for the polo gti aw for example the valve which makes it quiter in eco mode and what aftermarket exhaust is best for money
Thanks
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Re: Exhaust valve and aftermarket exhaust

Post by fazzy »

Jab123 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:10 pm Hi
Does anybody know where the exhaust valve is for the polo gti aw for example the valve which makes it quiter in eco mode and what aftermarket exhaust is best for money
Thanks
There is no exhaust valve in the GTi. The louder sound of the exhaust in sport mode is a gimmick coming from a speaker...
Aftermarket exhausts - I guess this topic is open to personal preferences and the size of your wallet :)
Anth146
New
Drives: White Polo GTI+ TSI 200

Post by Anth146 »

Afaik, it's just after the CAT, there is a valve opening/closing sound around that area if you put your drive mode into sport.
(By dipping the stick back, not by selecting the actual "sport mode" which activates the sound acktor thing).
This is on a 2018 pre-GPF model.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Anth146 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:26 pm Afaik, it's just after the CAT, there is a valve opening/closing sound around that area if you put your drive mode into sport.
(By dipping the stick back, not by selecting the actual "sport mode" which activates the sound acktor thing).
This is on a 2018 pre-GPF model.
Didn't know that was there! Have you seen a valve, or just hear an actuator whirr around the cat area when car is in S mode?

To be honest, although the car is in Sport mode, I never use S-mode on the gearbox because it holds on to the gears too long and continues to do it after you've got up to the speed you want to be at.

Would be far more useful to open the valve under a certain % throttle whether in D, S or M mode.

If you're that way inclined, I wonder if you can get the car into S mode at a standstill over an inspection pit while someone underneath unplugs whatever actuated the valve, to leave it open?

My Golf R had actuator valves for throttle position- under low load only 2 of the 4 pipes were working, high load opened the valve for all 4.

Maybe Mr Cze could provide the schematics to see the valve set-up?
Anth146
New

Post by Anth146 »

There's definately something mechanical there which opens and closes like a valve.
I was 'assuming' it was similar to that of the Golf R, never been under the car to take a look (I'd be too tempted to whip the resonator out).
Does the same if you put the box into S mode then over to manual, then you arent waiting for a week for it to change gear.
Oddly doesnt do it as much in normal D mode/manual.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Anth146 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:36 pm There's definately something mechanical there which opens and closes like a valve.
I was 'assuming' it was similar to that of the Golf R, never been under the car to take a look (I'd be too tempted to whip the resonator out).
Does the same if you put the box into S mode then over to manual, then you arent waiting for a week for it to change gear.
Oddly doesnt do it as much in normal D mode/manual.
Really didn't notice on the way home, after doing a fair bit of fiddling on during my 32 mile drive home, most at a constant 70mph. So the car was left in sport mode, D-mode on the box. Flitted between D and S, then S to M. The only change in noise was D to S that I attributed to the drop in gearing that S does.

D6 at 70mph goes to S5 (engine revving higher because the the gear change) then flick paddle to M6. M6 sounds no different to D6. If there's valve actuation happening, it would seem to me that the valves open with Sport (engine) mode or are triggered by a certain throttle input.
Anth146
New

Post by Anth146 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:03 pm Really didn't notice on the way home, after doing a fair bit of fiddling on during my 32 mile drive home, most at a constant 70mph. So the car was left in sport mode, D-mode on the box. Flitted between D and S, then S to M. The only change in noise was D to S that I attributed to the drop in gearing that S does.

D6 at 70mph goes to S5 (engine revving higher because the the gear change) then flick paddle to M6. M6 sounds no different to D6. If there's valve actuation happening, it would seem to me that the valves open with Sport (engine) mode or are triggered by a certain throttle input.
I'll have a look later on and try to get a video or sound clip of the clicky noise I mean. Probably something falling off my car :lol:
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

This is whole exhaust from turbo to the end (MY2019). There is no ventil or flap on exhaust also there is no changes to MY2020 or 2021.

253-042.png
253-180.png
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dark_cze:-

Those diagrams are of GPF implemented exhaust though aren't they? I assume MY19 started after Summer shutdown of 2018 when all the non-GPF cars for Europe had been built pre-WLTP compliance. The cylindrical box at the end of the front section looks like a GPF.

Do you have diagrams of MY18 GTI exhaust (pre-GPF) to confirm valve or no valve?
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

This is pre WLTP and no valve either.
Attachments
253-040.png
253-040.png (25.86 KiB) Viewed 3656 times
Anth146
New

Post by Anth146 »

Oh, thanks for the information.
More puzzled to know what that noise is now.

Regarding OP's question, if I was to be changing the exhaust id probably go for:

https://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/volks ... em-daytona
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Thanks for that. I didn't notice any difference on mine (Jun 2018) between the modes - now it's confirmed why.

I do wonder whether the middle section is common to models with and without GPF?

As the middle section is clamped both ends, should be easy/cheapto do a res delete without any welding by just replacing it with pipe..
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

By ETKA diagrams middle part shpuld be same for all gti
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:46 pm ^ Thanks for that. I didn't notice any difference on mine (Jun 2018) between the modes - now it's confirmed why.

I do wonder whether the middle section is common to models with and without GPF?

As the middle section is clamped both ends, should be easy/cheapto do a res delete without any welding by just replacing it with pipe..
I did the res delete on my OPF/GPF equipped GTI, best damn decision I ever made.
Made the car so much more enjoyable to drive, and now sounds like a proper GTI. It has lots of overrun and DSG plops.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

phillos wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:05 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:46 pm ^ Thanks for that. I didn't notice any difference on mine (Jun 2018) between the modes - now it's confirmed why.

I did the res delete on my OPF/GPF equipped GTI, best damn decision I ever made.
Made the car so much more enjoyable to drive, and now sounds like a proper GTI. It has lots of overrun and DSG plops.
so was it a straight swap - pipe for the middle section with no cutting or welding, just unclamping and reclamping to the front and rear sections? How much did you pay and did you fit yourself?