Delivery Times / Best Colour Choices

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MrTomOates
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Delivery Times / Best Colour Choices

Post by MrTomOates »

Hello!

Delivery times are quite horrendous when it comes to the new POLO.
Never have I ever had to wait so long for a car before to be made and delivered.

Delivery times

Did anybody get given an order time on the order form that was way beyond the expected delivery time of 21 weeks?

I have been told that my new Polo R-Line should take around 21 weeks to be made and arrive at the dealership, however, I've been given the order form and the delivery time is expected to be on the 31st December 2020.

I'm not sure if it's because of the types of spec I am having in the car which could set it back a bit but it just seems absurd the time to wait and to think I have to cancel that order and re-order with a different colour because White/Silver metallic is no longer being produced due to COVID 19 setbacks.

Colour choices

That being said, I have opted for re-ordering and choosing the Limestone Grey Metallic paint.
Do you reckon my order will be setback further than 31st December 2020?

What do you think is the best colour to have on an R-Line Polo? I'm really interested because there's a few I like.

I hope everyones staying safe! :o
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Delivery Times / Best Colour Choices

Post by SRGTD »

Hi Tom.

When did you order?

I made tentative enquires back in February for a new GTI+. At that time, the dealer was indicating a lead time from order to delivery for a factory order of around 5 months. VW’s Uitenhage factory in South Africa where UK Polos are built was affected by a temporarily closure due to lockdown from (I think) late March to some time in May because of the pandemic. When production restarted, the factory was running at less than full capacity - presumably to ensure the factory could operate safely in light of Covid-19 production process changes before ramping up production to normal levels. Additionally, there will be a backlog of outstanding orders to clear as a result of the factory closure. So these factors are likely to increase the ‘normal’ lead times for anyone ordering now.

If you’ve only just ordered your car, then a December delivery actually sounds pretty good. Bear in mind that 6-8 weeks of the overall lead time will be for transportation of the car from the factory to the UK dealership. The spec you’ve chosen for your car could also have an impact on build and delivery times. VW will be reliant on their suppliers and supply chain for specific components for each car’s build depending on that car’s spec, so the more heavily optioned a car is, the greater the likelihood is of more suppliers being involved in the supply chain, increasing the risk of supply issues. VW’s suppliers are also likely to have been impacted by the pandemic, so they may be (or may have been) operating at less than full capacity.

If you do decide to change the colour, colour choice is a very personal thing, and by asking forum members for their opinions will probably just add to your dilemma on which colour to have. I’d suggest you go onto VW’s website and have a look in the used cars section at nearly new R-Line Polos in different colours to help you make your decision.

I’m surprised that certain colour choices aren’t available because of the pandemic. The configurator on VW’s website is still showing White Silver as a colour choice for the R-Line. Has your dealer told you it is necessary to re-order your car in a different colour? If you’ve not had a confirmed build week for your car yet, then your dealer should be able to change your current order with no impact on build timescales, rather than starting the order process from scratch again, as restarting the order process from scratch does increase the risk of pushing the expected delivery date back into 2021.
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

Hi,

You've provided me with more detail than the person at the dealership arranging and preparing my car, so thank you!

I ordered the car on June 5th 2020. Due to COVID 19, everything was completed electronically through email which is understandable, however, I do feel like the VW dealership or the person dealing with my order has been little to no help.

From June 5th 2020 to June 22nd 2020, I had been pestering them for clarity on where I stood regarding with the progress of my order. The spec I have in the car is the following:

R-Line POLO / Manual / White/Silver

- Panoramic Sunroof
- Winter Pack
- LED Headlights
- Active Info Display
- Allow Wheels 17"
- Climate Control
- Keyless Entry with Start/Stop
- Driving Profile Selection
- Park Assist including Sensors
- Rear-view Camera
- Discover Navigation System

Now, I am not sure if the spec I have will increase the waiting time? :(
I was told that the car HAD NOT been confirmed due to the White/Silver paint being stopped due to COVID 19 (production is low) and I only knew that sooner because I was pestering the dealership on informing me of what's the next step. On that day, I gave a quick response to order the car in Pure White paint due to being inpatient with how things had been handled (ultimately, I just wanted to get the ball rolling), however, I instantly regretted it after checking the colours online. Therefore, I decided to choose another colour and opted for the Limestone Grey.

In response to your reply which I am grateful for because all this information you've provided is by far the most I have had during the process of setting up the order of my car. I had been told by the dealer that the order will have to be cancelled and re-ordered with the new colour added (I do not have a build week). I don't feel confident with how I am being fed information on the progress of my car and I do feel very blinded by what is going on and feel that I am going to be left in the dark these upcoming months - almost as if the dealer is happy he has me tied down to a contracted car and now he can focus elsewhere and do the same to other customers.
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

21 weeks..... that's quick :)
I see that it's getting better with time :) I waited for mine.... 71 weeks :)
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

fazzy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:21 pm 21 weeks..... that's quick :)
No way!
Why and how?

I really hope that isn't me!
The Random Dan
New
Drives: GTI+

Post by The Random Dan »

Could you not compromise slightly on colour/spec and find one thats dealer stock?

Thats what I did back in February, ended up paying a little more as the one they had in stock had the optional rear camera but was better than a long wait, the dealer I went to had a Red and a White one in stock.
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

The Random Dan wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:16 pm Could you not compromise slightly on colour/spec and find one thats dealer stock?

Thats what I did back in February, ended up paying a little more as the one they had in stock had the optional rear camera but was better than a long wait, the dealer I went to had a Red and a White one in stock.
Unfortunately for me this wasn't possible.
I was wanting to have a Panoramic Sunroof as mandatory because it's always something I've wanted after getting my first car. The dealer said that it was extremely rare to find an R-Line with a panoramic sunroof as stock and shockingly, they didn't have any R-Line cars at the dealership to have a look at, I went further a far to have a look at an R-Line in person, and unfortunately they didn't have half of the stuff I wanted in the R-Line as mandatory such as; LED Lights, Active Info Display and Panoramic Sunroof. Now that I have built the car with more features, I don't think I could mentally remove any of the features to reduce the time, I'd be too upset to let it go. :lol:
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I looked at an r line but with the spec you’re looking at, a gti plus must be looking like a good alternative cost wise? The led lights, active info, keyless, 17” wheel, driver profile selection and parking sensors are all standard on the gti plus.

I suspect the wait might be the number of extras you want on the car. I was always told certain optional extras extended delivery more than others, such as the pano roof.
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

MrTomOates wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:53 pm
fazzy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:21 pm 21 weeks..... that's quick :)
No way!
Why and how?

I really hope that isn't me!
Yes, way :)
I ordered my car 26th Jan 2018 and picked it up 13 of June 2019.
I ticked all the boxes on the options list except for keyless entry and voice control.
One makes it easier to steal and the other accidental reading of messages that you don't want your passenger to hear :) So these are the two I didn't want.
Anyway, this coincided with the new WLTP regulations so it was a long wait.
PO10ASH
Getting There!
Drives: POLO GTI+

Post by PO10ASH »

lancslad1985 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:39 pm I looked at an r line but with the spec you’re looking at, a gti plus must be looking like a good alternative cost wise? The led lights, active info, keyless, 17” wheel, driver profile selection and parking sensors are all standard on the gti plus.

I suspect the wait might be the number of extras you want on the car. I was always told certain optional extras extended delivery more than others, such as the pano roof.
I would have to agree, there's an awful lot of extra options which are standard on the GTI/GTI+. I looked at a lower spec Polo and by the time I put LED Headlights & Active Info, it was worth looking at the GTI.

I honestly think the estimated time of December isn't that bad considering the delays in the factory due to COVID, I ordered a car in Feb which was due to be built in May and delivered around early July. However, it still hasn't been built or confirmed for a new build date.
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

ShortyONL wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:42 pm
lancslad1985 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:39 pm I looked at an r line but with the spec you’re looking at, a gti plus must be looking like a good alternative cost wise? The led lights, active info, keyless, 17” wheel, driver profile selection and parking sensors are all standard on the gti plus.

I would have to agree, there's an awful lot of extra options which are standard on the GTI/GTI+. I looked at a lower spec Polo and by the time I put LED Headlights & Active Info, it was worth looking at the GTI.

I honestly think the estimated time of December isn't that bad considering the delays in the factory due to COVID, I ordered a car in Feb which was due to be built in May and delivered around early July. However, it still hasn't been built or confirmed for a new build date.
I considered the GTI+.
The amount of features I've ordered in the R-Line costs more than a standard GTI+ or close to the price, however, I'd happily switch to the GTI+ because who wouldn't!? The only thing is, the insurance costs way too much for me which is a shame.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

MrTomOates wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:25 pm
ShortyONL wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:42 pm

I considered the GTI+.
The amount of features I've ordered in the R-Line costs more than a standard GTI+ or close to the price, however, I'd happily switch to the GTI+ because who wouldn't!? The only thing is, the insurance costs way too much for me which is a shame.
I opted for the GTI+ in the end and to be fair in comparison with other cars of similar performance for me insurance was extremely reasonable.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

MrTomOates wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:25 pm [

I considered the GTI+.
Are you sure about the insurance being so much? Did you get a quote or just assume?

As ACC is standard on the GTI+, it goes a long way to reducing premiums vs cars without it.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Although the GTI / GTI+ are back on the configurator, the website still states that these models are only available from stock. Also, if a pano sunroof is a must-have for @TomOates;
  • I doubt there’ll be many, if any, new unregistered GTI+ in the UK dealer network with a pano sunroof
or
  • I doubt there’ll be many new unregistered GTI+ within the UK dealer network whatever spec they are. What GTI+, if any, are in stock, dealers might not be willing to offer much by way of discount off these cars, as they’ll know they’re in short supply.
89A41EB8-79EC-4E22-83D4-D25E0C39F394.jpeg
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:54 am
MrTomOates wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:25 pm [

I considered the GTI+.
Are you sure about the insurance being so much? Did you get a quote or just assume?

As ACC is standard on the GTI+, it goes a long way to reducing premiums vs cars without it.
Yeah, unfortunately by no fault but my own - I have 3 points on my licence and 22 years of age. Speeding fine within the first year of receiving my first car. The 3 years has passed since then but insurance companies would like to have up to 5 years, this may have an effect on my insurance despite my licence showing 0 points.

Either way, the Polo R-Line will do me until it's time to get a new car and I've always wanted a Mercedes A-class but there's other cars that tickle my fancy at this moment with the Golf-R and/or the Polo GTI+. Not a big fan of the Golf 8, I think it's the front of the car which really is off-putting even the GTI version is slightly better but it really should scream at me and for me it just doesn't.