Delivery Times / Best Colour Choices

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MrTomOates
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Delivery Times / Best Colour Choices

Post by MrTomOates »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:07 am Although the GTI / GTI+ are back on the configurator, the website still states that these models are only available from stock. Also, if a pano sunroof is a must-have for @TomOates;
  • I doubt there’ll be many, if any, new unregistered GTI+ in the UK dealer network with a pano sunroof
or
  • I doubt there’ll be many new unregistered GTI+ within the UK dealer network whatever spec they are. What GTI+, if any, are in stock, dealers might not be willing to offer much by way of discount off these cars, as they’ll know they’re in short supply.

89A41EB8-79EC-4E22-83D4-D25E0C39F394.jpeg
I completely agree. The pano sunroof for me was a MUST HAVE I just think it adds to the car nicely, but I do think like you said the dealerships won't promote much offers if they happen to have a GTI/GTI+ with a sunroof because of the rarity and the issues with factory ordering a car.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

If you've done the quotes then fair enough, but if you haven't, don't assume the GTI+ won't be reasonable next to the R-line.

The GTI+ has ACC as standard, I believe no other Polo trim does (maybe the SEL?) in the UK.

So a GTI+ with ACC as standard is cheaper to insure than the non-plus GTI without ACC by about 10% when I was getting quotes. Probably similar story with R-line - risk of extra power in GTI+ mitigated by ACC and better brakes.

The Golf R is pretty dull overall as a hot hatch, mainly because it is too good at its job. It handles 300ps with absolutely no drama and you're up to motorway speeds in 6 seconds, all with very little thrill. I had one for almost 4 years. The Polo GTI+ was more fun to drive.
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:39 pm If you've done the quotes then fair enough, but if you haven't, don't assume the GTI+ won't be reasonable next to the R-line.

The GTI+ has ACC as standard, I believe no other Polo trim does (maybe the SEL?) in the UK.

So a GTI+ with ACC as standard is cheaper to insure than the non-plus GTI without ACC by about 10% when I was getting quotes. Probably similar story with R-line - risk of extra power in GTI+ mitigated by ACC and better brakes.

The Golf R is pretty dull overall as a hot hatch, mainly because it is too good at its job. It handles 300ps with absolutely no drama and you're up to motorway speeds in 6 seconds, all with very little thrill. I had one for almost 4 years. The Polo GTI+ was more fun to drive.
I've had a mess around with the configurator on the VW website of the GTI+ Polo and the car as standard is cheaper than the specced R-Line I've ordered, however, the quotes I received back from the insurance is £150+ a month more than the R-Line. Personally, I'd love to own a brand new GTI+ Polo. I have a tendency to want absolutely everything in my car (spec wise) so I'd happily pay the amount it is for a fully specced GTI+ Polo, insurance however, is another different ball game - I can't justify paying that much for insurance as well at 22 years old. :shock:

If I had the choice of either a GTI or an R, I would struggle.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Speccing so high is an expensive way to drive - all those options cost a lot more and you'll see very little of the cost back at resale time. If you spend £2500 on optional extras, that can add up to £100 a month extra on a PCP.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I’m with Monkeyhanger plus I’ve been told by several salespeople that if you’re on pcp, the book price for your car is for that trim level and they don’t consider any extras you’ve bought. I was always told it’s best to go up a trim level if possible rather than add a load of options to a car.
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

lancslad1985 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:02 pm I’m with Monkeyhanger plus I’ve been told by several salespeople that if you’re on pcp, the book price for your car is for that trim level and they don’t consider any extras you’ve bought. I was always told it’s best to go up a trim level if possible rather than add a load of options to a car.
I agree completely.
I had a factory made Vauxhall Corsa SRI 1.4 and added a lot of options to the car. 4 years have passed by and none of them options paid any contribution to the price of the car when part-exchanging, so all in all, the options on cars are pretty much useless when it comes to selling the car and is only useful during the time you have with the car.

I have a question though.

Am I too far into the agreement of the car to decide to cancel and re-order the GTI+?
I will summarise my issues with ordering the car as much as I can.

I ordered the car. The car was supposedly ordered. 2 weeks past and I still didn't receive my order form confirmation with SLI number. I contacted the dealer throughout this time and gradually they came back and said "it's not ordered, the factory rejected the paint (White/Silver) because it's no longer in production due to COVID 19. I that day said to change to Pure White... days past and I wasn't happy with the colour and decided to change to Limestone Grey, however, I wanted to change from the 95 to the 115 and the dealer person said that he's changed the colour however, the 115 is no longer in production at this minute and issued a warning about being unable to change anything from this point on.

Does this mean I cannot change/cancel my order and go for the GTI+?
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

MrTomOates wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:35 pm
lancslad1985 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:02 pm I’m with Monkeyhanger plus I’ve been told by several salespeople that if you’re on pcp, the book price for your car is for that trim level and they don’t consider any extras you’ve bought. I was always told it’s best to go up a trim level if possible rather than add a load of options to a car.
I agree completely.
I had a factory made Vauxhall Corsa SRI 1.4 and added a lot of options to the car. 4 years have passed by and none of them options paid any contribution to the price of the car when part-exchanging, so all in all, the options on cars are pretty much useless when it comes to selling the car and is only useful during the time you have with the car.

Am I too far into the agreement of the car to decide to cancel and re-order the GTI+?

I ordered the car. The car was supposedly ordered. 2 weeks past and I still didn't receive my order form confirmation with SLI number. I contacted the dealer throughout this time and gradually they came back and said "it's not ordered, the factory rejected the paint (White/Silver) because it's no longer in production due to COVID 19. I that day said to change to Pure White... days past and I wasn't happy with the colour and decided to change to Limestone Grey, however, I wanted to change from the 95 to the 115 and the dealer person said that he's changed the colour however, the 115 is no longer in production at this minute and issued a warning about being unable to change anything from this point on.

If you haven't looked into insurance quotes for a new GTI+ yet I would recommend it. I was looking at an older Golf GTI as a second car and was being quoted £1800 which for myself as 21 year old with 3 years driving was reasonable but I ran a quote on a polo GTI+ brand new and I pay £600 a year on the nose which for my age and experience is amazing thanks to the cars safety features.
PO10ASH
Getting There!
Drives: POLO GTI+

Post by PO10ASH »

I agree completely.

Worth an ask, see where they're at with your car order and tell them what you would like to-do in an ideal world! I was in your predicament, I've a no claims logged on insurance (car hit while parked) and 3 points on my licence (speed), my age of 27 is slightly better on insurance, but the GTI+ wasn't that bad on insurance all things considering.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I agree completely.

If your car order is only 2 weeks old, unless you've knowingly jumped on an order that's about to be built, there's no way the dealership is committed to ordering your car.

Here's what happens.

1. You place an order with the dealership, give over a deposit.

2. Dealer places order with VW UK who get an estimated build week from the factory.

3. You wait ages for your estimated build week to become a confirmed build week, about a month before it's due to be built. At this point you can't modify your order. VW have ordered all necessary parts for the car you ordered.

4. Car gets built

5. Car leaves plant and heads to the docks to await a ship.

6. Car is on a 4 week trip to Emden, Germany.

7. Car leaves Emden and heads to Sheerness, Grimsby or Tyne, depending on where the supplying dealership is.

8. Car delivered from Dock to dealership, is prepped and PDI'd.

9. You pick the car up.

If step 3 hasn't happened yet, you should be able to change to a GTI+, your salesperson is being an arse if they suggest otherwise.

When is your car due?
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:47 pm
I agree completely.

If your car order is only 2 weeks old, unless you've knowingly jumped on an order that's about to be built, there's no way the dealership is committed to ordering your car.

Here's what happens.

1. You place an order with the dealership, give over a deposit.

2. Dealer places order with VW UK who get an estimated build week from the factory.

3. You wait ages for your estimated build week to become a confirmed build week, about a month before it's due to be built. At this point you can't modify your order. VW have ordered all necessary parts for the car you ordered.

4. Car gets built

5. Car leaves plant and heads to the docks to await a ship.

6. Car is on a 4 week trip to Emden, Germany.

7. Car leaves Emden and heads to Sheerness, Grimsby or Tyne, depending on where the supplying dealership is.

8. Car delivered from Dock to dealership, is prepped and PDI'd.

9. You pick the car up.

If step 3 hasn't happened yet, you should be able to change to a GTI+, your salesperson is being an arse if they suggest otherwise.

When is your car due?
I'm literally at stage 2 and awaiting stage 3. I honestly feel as though this dealer guy just wants rid of me now that the order for the car has been placed and he has the deposit. Do you honestly reckon it is the guy that is being an arse and I should be able to get a change of car such as; GTI+?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MrTomOates wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:27 am I'm literally at stage 2 and awaiting stage 3. I honestly feel as though this dealer guy just wants rid of me now that the order for the car has been placed and he has the deposit. Do you honestly reckon it is the guy that is being an arse and I should be able to get a change of car such as; GTI+?
Unfortunately, I get the impression that some salespeople think their job is done once they’ve got the customer to sign on the dotted line. As you only ordered your car less than a month ago and the build week hasn’t been confirmed, you should be able to change the order details. If the salesperson you’ve been dealing is difficult and won’t help, then you could ask to speak to the sales manager who will hopefully help resolve the situation and you end up with the car you want.

Good luck, and please keep the forum updated on developments.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

If the build week isn't confirmed they can change or cancel your order without cost. You have been a little indecisive so far. Perhaps assure your salesperson that this will be the very last change? If they won't play ball then go higher in the dealership and speak to their boss and if that gets you nowhere, complain to VW UK.

A 2 week old fresh order should be nowhere near having a build week confirmed.
hollesk
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI

Post by hollesk »

I'm in Ireland and ordered my GTI Polo on the 16th March 2020, was given a 22 week lead time to delivery which put me on or around the 20th August 2020. To begin with it looked like Covid had not impacted production in SA but then got word it did, new delivery date as a result is some time in October 2020 :(
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

That’s about right. I ordered February and it’s due September 🙄
PO10ASH
Getting There!
Drives: POLO GTI+

Post by PO10ASH »

Tom, I thought you did get your order amended to GTI+ in the end? Or did they not play ball.
Ima wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:20 pm That’s about right. I ordered February and it’s due September 🙄
On the plus side Ima, we ordered for 20 plates and we're gonna end up with 70 plates.. 4-5 weeks to go!