PCP Contracts, Discounts and Salesmen [HELP]

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Re: PCP Contracts, Discounts and Salesmen [HELP]

Post by Simonz »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:18 pm
Steve_2019 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:00 pm I would cancel too. Or at least talk to them and try get a better deal. For me on my income £300 a month on PCP is more then enough on a car.
I wouldn't try to negotiate - the dealer is holding all the cards. You might get a few freebies if they're feeling generous.

I would cancel and request your deposit back, citing tge fact that the order is not locked in with a commitment to build, therefore the dealer is able to cancel without penalty.

I would go in there saying you're cancelling your order and if they ask why, say your job is at risk and you don't think it's right to commit yo another car right now.

With a story like that, they'd want to entertain the possibility of a future sale and not do anything to lose you as a future customer by retaining your deposit.

If there's a suitable Golf to be found, Kim can help you with that, if not, she'll help you order a fully loaded Polo. She won't be interested in your part -ex though. Get rid separately.

You could save yourself a sizeable sum and lots of potential bother by losing the sun roof. They are nothing but trouble.
Some excellent advice above - would follow that myself if in same situation.

Also re sunroof, it's an unnecessary cost and so rare narrowing options plus it could create grief down the line.
MrTomOates
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by MrTomOates »

Simonz wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:31 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:18 pm
Steve_2019 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:00 pm I would cancel too. Or at least talk to them and try get a better deal. For me on my income £300 a month on PCP is more then enough on a car.
I wouldn't try to negotiate - the dealer is holding all the cards. You might get a few freebies if they're feeling generous.

I would cancel and request your deposit back, citing tge fact that the order is not locked in with a commitment to build, therefore the dealer is able to cancel without penalty.

I would go in there saying you're cancelling your order and if they ask why, say your job is at risk and you don't think it's right to commit yo another car right now.

With a story like that, they'd want to entertain the possibility of a future sale and not do anything to lose you as a future customer by retaining your deposit.

If there's a suitable Golf to be found, Kim can help you with that, if not, she'll help you order a fully loaded Polo. She won't be interested in your part -ex though. Get rid separately.

You could save yourself a sizeable sum and lots of potential bother by losing the sun roof. They are nothing but trouble.
Some excellent advice above - would follow that myself if in same situation.

Also re sunroof, it's an unnecessary cost and so rare narrowing options plus it could create grief down the line.
Love this.

I really appreciate the advice, and for everybody that has responded - thank you also!
Kim hasn't responded, a person called Harry has picked up. I'm suppose to be in a call with him at 3pm so who knows if he will call but this is to discuss things. The sunroof isn't necessary, I agree. I think I wanted it because not many have it which is a really bad way of thinking. Ultimately, I'd remove the sunroof if I was to get a trim higher than the R-Line such as; GTI or GTI+ (I'd want GTI+ preferably).

Again, I'll let you know what happens once I know myself :lol:
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I just did a drivethe deal for an R-line Polo with metallic paint and everything but the sunroof that you specced before and it was coming in at ,£19650 - a saving of £4044 vs list.

Do yourself a favour though and lose the driving mode selector too. If you've got 95ps, you don't need a button that dulls the throttle response when not in Sport.

The GTI+ isn't on Drive the deal currently as it disappeared off the VW configurator but is back on. Listers should give you a quote that should be about £3k less than list.

If not the GTI+ for insurance reasons, have you considered SEL trim instead of R-Line?

Doesn't have all the "sheep in wolfs clothing" embellishments but it does have a lot of your favoured options as standard - Satnav, Climate control, parking sensors - that'll save you some money. It's got 115ps too, so a bit nipper than that 95ps R-Line.
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

UPDATE GUYS!

Just before I say the following, I honestly owe each and every one of you the biggest social-distanced hugs! :D I cannot thank you enough for the help and advice you all provided so thank you!

I contacted Kim who @monkeyhanger kindly advised me to contact and although she did not answer the email, a colleague of hers named Harry kindly took over with the problem I was faced with. From there on I explained what I have put together in this post. He was absolutely disgusted and appalled at the amount of money I was opting into putting to the R-Line 95 POLO. I quote, "If you had come into my dealership and putting £6,000s worth of additional extras into an R-Line POLO I'd immediately stop you and opt for the GTI+". He further explained that solely out of advice and not a business point of view on his end; ultimately I'd be losing £6,000 as soon as I order the car due to re-selling the car in 4 years time, the additional extras is not valued with the car when re-selling.

All in all, everything that I had set up with the R-Line was extremely wrong (not just on my part but from the salesman), however, I can only blame myself on how naive I was to do such a thing. Nonetheless, it is and was a lesson learned.

As for what's happening now...

I have myself a brand new GTI+ and I cannot express how grateful I am, without you guys I'd be paying an overpriced monthly payment of £360 over 49months for an R-Line POLO 95.

The car had already been made in the factory and is ready to be sent through transit so now I can jump on the bandwagon of wanting to know which lucky ship has my car on. :lol: The car obviously doesn't have climate control, a sunroof and Volkswagens SatNav but has the winter pack with a few additional extras. He also added the extended warranty and unlimited service package which altogether was worth around £2,000 to the deal, for example; a spill on the car seat and unable to remove stain, the VW garage will replace the seat with the package etc... that's what I was told as an example. I do believe one of you guys had mentioned this was a service and package which was worth contemplating to do so again, thank you! Oh and a full tank of petrol to drive away with... :lol:

The price a month £322 in comparison to the £360 a month I'd be paying for the R-Line. I receive the car in approximately a months time (so he says) but obviously with it just being made and awaiting delivery to the garage it could take as long as it takes.

Thank you guys! I'm over the moon! :mrgreen:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Are you far away from Nunthorpe? They delivered both of mine up to Newcastle on the back of a trailer.

My consultancy fee invoice will be in the post! :lol:

What colour is it? Does it have standard Parker 17" wheels or the optional 18" Brescias?

As you have insurance implications, I would look long and hard for insurance - all the comparison sites, the direct sites like direct line and add a responsible parent or 2 onto your policy as additional drivers if it reduces your premium.

Not sure about your service extras - they sound like they might be overpriced. Maybe you can divulge some details and if need be, cancel tjose before collection if they are overpriced deslership moneyspinners like lifeshine and Gap. VW pulled the official extended warranty.in 2018 (although Audiand Skoda still do it), so not sure what yours is.

You should definitely go for the 2 annual services pack which is (I believe is still the case).£199 if bought before the car is registered.

If the car is only a month away, it might already be in Emden awaiting a ship to the UK. A mate has a Golf TCR that has sat in the Emden backlog for 6 weeks waiting for a ship to the UK.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Nice one mate! Glad things worked out well in the end.

You'll love the GTI! Amazing car. :)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Don't forget to ask for your deposit back. My first GTI+ from Kim was an imminent build so I had a shorter wait too.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Welcome to the wait and glad it’ll work out in the end.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@MrTomOates; it’s great to hear a story like this and that forum members advice has proven to be of value. I’m really pleased you have an outcome that you’re extremely happy with.

If I was going to give the original Salesperson the benefit of the doubt, I’d say that maybe he was inexperienced and new to his sales role. However........that doesn’t excuse the way you were treated, and if he was inexperienced, then you’d have hoped that he’d get the necessary support of his colleagues. I’d be inclined to write to the sales manager at that dealership (but not before you’ve got your deposit money back in your bank account! 🙂) and express your disappointment of your car buying experience. If you were to write to the sales manager, would that dealership review their sales approach? Highly unlikely, I’d say.

The quality of VW dealerships will always vary; ranging from very good to poor, with the majority fitting in between the two extremes. I’m intrigued to know who the initial dealership was, but fully understand if you feel it’s inappropriate to name and shame them on a public forum.

Anyway, congratulations on a good outcome and please keep the forum updated on delivery progress. And when you get your car, please be sure to let us know what you think of it. 👍
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

MrTomOates wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:06 pm UPDATE GUYS!

Just before I say the following, I honestly owe each and every one of you the biggest social-distanced hugs! :D I cannot thank you enough for the help and advice you all provided so thank you!

I contacted Kim who @monkeyhanger kindly advised me to contact and although she did not answer the email, a colleague of hers named Harry kindly took over with the problem I was faced with. From there on I explained what I have put together in this post. He was absolutely disgusted and appalled at the amount of money I was opting into putting to the R-Line 95 POLO. I quote, "If you had come into my dealership and putting £6,000s worth of additional extras into an R-Line POLO I'd immediately stop you and opt for the GTI+". He further explained that solely out of advice and not a business point of view on his end; ultimately I'd be losing £6,000 as soon as I order the car due to re-selling the car in 4 years time, the additional extras is not valued with the car when re-selling.

All in all, everything that I had set up with the R-Line was extremely wrong (not just on my part but from the salesman), however, I can only blame myself on how naive I was to do such a thing. Nonetheless, it is and was a lesson learned.

As for what's happening now...

I have myself a brand new GTI+ and I cannot express how grateful I am, without you guys I'd be paying an overpriced monthly payment of £360 over 49months for an R-Line POLO 95.

The car had already been made in the factory and is ready to be sent through transit so now I can jump on the bandwagon of wanting to know which lucky ship has my car on. :lol: The car obviously doesn't have climate control, a sunroof and Volkswagens SatNav but has the winter pack with a few additional extras. He also added the extended warranty and unlimited service package which altogether was worth around £2,000 to the deal, for example; a spill on the car seat and unable to remove stain, the VW garage will replace the seat with the package etc... that's what I was told as an example. I do believe one of you guys had mentioned this was a service and package which was worth contemplating to do so again, thank you! Oh and a full tank of petrol to drive away with... :lol:

The price a month £322 in comparison to the £360 a month I'd be paying for the R-Line. I receive the car in approximately a months time (so he says) but obviously with it just being made and awaiting delivery to the garage it could take as long as it takes.

Thank you guys! I'm over the moon! :mrgreen:
Wow what a turn around! :) That’s brilliant, look forward to seeing detail when it arrives. Should be amazing to drive. I would try for that service deal as it’s expensive paying them separately yourself as I’ve found -£250 each year for not much more than an oil change.
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

You're all legends :D

And the wait begins with you all!

I managed to get the 18" Alloy Wheels, Winter Pack, Black Roof pack in White etc...

You're all right though... driving selector on an R-Line 95 is useless, SatNav isn't necessary because I used CarPlay in my previous car, the only reason I added it extra was due to having the SatNav on the digital dashboard :lol: and the Panoramic Sunroof was something I thought would be a real nice addition but now you've mentioned about leaking and squeaks; I don't think I'd be entirely impressed if there was anything to happen to it when it's not necessary.

As for the deposit from the previous salesman. I've gone down the route of "lost my job", "I'm gutted about losing the car", "when I get back into employment, you're the man to call for re-ordering the same exact car". 200IQ approach so who ever advised me on that (you sir/madam have a big brain :lol:) I can't thank you enough. The deposit is supposedly getting sorted out on Monday, he said the "accountants aren't available until Monday" so Monday morning he will sort it out which I can guarantee I'll have to chase him to do and for that reason I am a bit worried about how long this will take to actually receive the deposit back.

@SRGTD

Thanks a lot mate! 8)
Honestly, he is a young lad like myself and he was a good lad to speak to in the dealership, however, I just think once the deposit was accepted he wasn't really interested in my business because it was as though he sealed the deal. I won't name and shame for obvious reasons as I'm not out to get him. I can take partial blame for being so naive and inexperienced, it's a scary world; lesson learned, if in doubt contact the POLO forum for professional answers :lol:

@MonkeyHanger

I'm located in West Yorkshire :lol: It's a long trip but for a GTI+ I'd even happily drive to the place since I'm part-exchanging. Only issue is... I've never driven an automatic car before. Is it easy? Does it take a while to get use to? I have so many questions :lol:
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

The GTI was my first automatic mate. In my opinion it's much easier than a manual, think of it like a go-kart!

My first few trips in the car were quite funny. Every traffic light I came too I kept putting my foot on the non existent clutch and reaching the for the gearbox! :lol: That will pass though.

It did take me a while to get used to the modes in the car. There's plenty of topics on here about them though. Nothing to worry about, you'll enjoy driving it! :)
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

S_94 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:39 pm The GTI was my first automatic mate. In my opinion it's much easier than a manual, think of it like a go-kart!

My first few trips in the car were quite funny. Every traffic light I came too I kept putting my foot on the non existent clutch and reaching the for the gearbox! :lol: That will pass though.

It did take me a while to get used to the modes in the car. There's plenty of topics on here about them though. Nothing to worry about, you'll enjoy driving it! :)
Top man :lol:

I'm literally looking at YouTube videos on how to drive an automatic car, I cannot believe it's resorted to this. Oh my, like is there any point in having a left leg? Where do I put it? Can I possible part-exchange my left leg and possibly get the monthly payments down even more. Sooo many questions! :lol:
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Having driven only manual cars as my own car (until mine arrives) but plenty of pool/hire cars as automatics I’ll tell you one thing - don’t use your left leg to brake! Despite having done well over 250,000 miles in the last ten years and driven automatics numerous times I’ve nearly head butted the steering wheel every single time I’ve tried to left foot brake an automatic. It may just be me, but considering your left foot is used to going all the way down it doesn’t like feathering the the brakes!

Now I’m sure you could, over time, learn to left foot brake as we all learned to use our right when we first learned to drive. On my experience I’m not going to bother or I’ll have a very sore head!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

It was me with the "I've lost my job" angle. Glad it worked out. They'll be far more receptive to the prospect of giving you sympathy and hoping to get your future custom.

DSG gearbox is very easy to drive. You start the car up, stick it into D to drive and drive it without having a clutch to operate. It won't do everything you want at all times because it can't read your mind. It will always be looking to change up and set up the next highest gear, unless you give it the impression you want to accelerate and then it'll get the lower gear ready.

It'll frustrate occasionally but 98% of the time it'll do what you were wanting it to do rather than give you 5th from 4th instead of 3rd from 4th.

Personally i'd rather have a manual box but VW group cars seem to be marginalising the manual gearbox for all but the lowest output cars. I went from 9 manual cars in a row to 3 DSG cars in a row because the manual option wasn't there for the car I wanted.

You can either just leave it in D or S and just use the accelerator or you can use the paddles or stick slotted to the left to go up and down (which doesn't feel as intuitive as a manual box). Plenty of people prefer DSG.