Noise when turning

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
y44ame
New
Drives: GTI+

Noise when turning

Post by y44ame »

I bought a 2019 GTI+ ex demo around 4 weeks ago now, and noticed the noise a week or so of having the car.

The noise started when turning left and it was a mix of knocking, and like a squelching. I reported this to the dealer who have since looked at my car and replaced both top mounts but this has not fixed the problem, if anything its got worse as it now makes the noise when driving on a slightly bumpy surface and breaking as well as still making the noise when turning left. The dealer currently have my car, but just wondering anyone else had anything like this and what the fix was, any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Noise when turning

Post by SRGTD »

Can’t offer any suggestions the knocking noise, but the squelching noise could be the ribs / bellows on the rubber CV joint boot. The outer surface of the boot can be slightly ‘sticky’ when new, and when you’re turning, the ribs / bellows will move together and then move apart as the CV joint boot rotates, and the ‘sticking’ together / moving apart of the ribs can sound like a squelching noise.

If this is the cause of the squelching noise, you’d probably not notice it when turning at speed, but it would be more apparent when making low speed cornering manoeuvres.
y44ame
New

Post by y44ame »

Spot on.

Thank You
The Random Dan
New

Post by The Random Dan »

Yep squelching noise is CV boots, mine does it at low speeds when parking etc
MattHGR
Bronze Member

Post by MattHGR »

I also get the same noise. It is indeed the CV boot.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

y44ame
New

Post by y44ame »

Thanks, got my car back. They have sprayed the cv boot and the noise has gone for now. They also have me a tin of the spray so that if it starts again I can spray it.
Cro_vw
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 2018 115bhp Highline

Post by Cro_vw »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:37 am Can’t offer any suggestions the knocking noise, but the squelching noise could be the ribs / bellows on the rubber CV joint boot. The outer surface of the boot can be slightly ‘sticky’ when new, and when you’re turning, the ribs / bellows will move together and then move apart as the CV joint boot rotates, and the ‘sticking’ together / moving apart of the ribs can sound like a squelching noise.

If this is the cause of the squelching noise, you’d probably not notice it when turning at speed, but it would be more apparent when making low speed cornering manoeuvres.
I have some strange noise while turning to the right at low speed. It sounds like some plastic is rubbing against metal. Few days ago I was driving in the garage of shopping center from 1st floor to fifth, right turn all the way up and sound was there all the time. While driving at some speed there is no sound at all.
I'm wondering if I should call the dealer or just wait and see what happens. Sound is there from the first day, car is old 8 months with 11 000 km. Any suggestions?