Seat belt adjuster rattle

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
AnthonyH89
New
Drives: Polo GTI plus 2020

Seat belt adjuster rattle

Post by AnthonyH89 »

Hi all. Does anyone else have an issue with the seat belt adjuster rattling? I've got a polo GTI plus. Like a ticking/clicking noise. I've tried the krytox lubricant stuff for door seals, searching the web suggested it could be that. Nope so £45 out of pocket on that. Only had the car couple of month but this noise is driving me insane, it's literally right next to my ear. So totally ruins driving the car.
Teee
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo gti +

Re: Seat belt adjuster rattle

Post by Teee »

AnthonyH89 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:35 am Hi all. Does anyone else have an issue with the seat belt adjuster rattling? I've got a polo GTI plus. Like a ticking/clicking noise. I've tried the krytox lubricant stuff for door seals, searching the web suggested it could be that. Nope so £45 out of pocket on that. Only had the car couple of month but this noise is driving me insane, it's literally right next to my ear. So totally ruins driving the car.

Looks like a common fault, my car has the same issue and it’s been mentioned before in this post.

viewtopic.php?t=75245
AnthonyH89
New

Post by AnthonyH89 »

Have you tried any fixes? Or can you live with it. I honestly cant stand it. How something so simple can ruin the whole experience Haha
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I had a similar vibration from the seatbelt adjuster in my 2016 previous generation Polo GTI. Moving the adjuster slightly up or down (can’t remember which) stopped the noise and it’s never happened since - and that was over four years ago.

I don’t think your purchase of Krytox was a waste of money. The door seals on VW’s tend to dry out over time, and when this happens they creak when they’re in contact with the bodywork. Krytox applied to the dried out seals cures the creaking issue, so you’re well prepared for when that happens.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

My 2019 GTi does it intermittently, mentioned it when I took it in for it's first service, of course hadn't been doing it while driving it there that day and didn't do it for the service techs when they checked. Of course as I turned in to my road after picking it up it started doing it again!! :roll:
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:20 am I had a similar vibration from the seatbelt adjuster in my 2016 previous generation Polo GTI. Moving the adjuster slightly up or down (can’t remember which) stopped the noise and it’s never happened since - and that was over four years ago.

I don’t think your purchase of Krytox was a waste of money. The door seals on VW’s tend to dry out over time, and when this happens they creak when they’re in contact with the bodywork. Krytox applied to the dried out seals cures the creaking issue, so you’re well prepared for when that happens.
Hum, my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL started doing that very early in its life, I just snatch the strap and release it and that usually stops it for a month or so, I was not willing to let my VW dealership free to try to sort that.
AnthonyH89
New

Post by AnthonyH89 »

Just wanted to update this post due to finally finding out what causes the ticking/rattling noise.

So after many more frustrated days driving with the noise I took apart all the plastic covers surrounding the seatbelt adjuster and down by the drivers seat. All gentle of course haha. I pulled apart abit of the doors seal too and found, sandwiched together like 3 flat weld points of the body. ( not sure how best to describe ) but on pressing fairly softly, click click click the exact f ing noise!!

So my solution is crude but worked over a week now, until I come up with something better Haha. I have stuck together 4 rubber tap washers ( all I had due to my job 😅) and with fair bit of force put back on the plastic trim around adjuster which applies pressure onto the points and stops them clicking! Driving has been bliss again!

So hope this might help anyone suffering the same problem. Anyone come up with a better solution to washers would be much appreciated
mjsaville
Getting There!
Drives: Limestone Grey GTI+ (Finallly arrived)

Post by mjsaville »

Stick on felt ? Black of course !! :o