2021 Model Year Changes

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

2021 Model Year Changes

Post by SRGTD »

Details of some of the 2021 model year changes for the Polo range, as reported on PoloDriver.com website;
  • Looks as if the entry level S model is being dropped, and the Polo range will now begin with the SE model (I thought this model had been replaced by the Polo Match?).
  • 2021 model cars will be ‘wearing’ the new VW emblem on the front grille, hatch badge/handle, and presumably the wheel centre caps and steering wheel. Repositioning of the ‘Polo’ badge on the tailgate below the VW hatch handle (as per the mk8 Golf).
  • New interior and exterior ‘treatment‘ (whatever that means) for the Beats model.
  • SEL available with 1.0 93bhp engine.
  • Wireless Apply CarPlay.
  • Addition of an emergency call service feature.
  • Cleaner RDE2 compliant engines to be introduced.
Link to the article below;

http://www.polodriver.com/polo-2017/mod ... olo-range/
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: 2021 Model Year Changes

Post by S_94 »

No changes for the GTI, SRGTD?

Really don't like what VW have done with the MK8 Golf in terms of lettering/styling. The GTI font change and moving into the centre just annoys me for some reason.

Would absolutely love wireless Android Auto in my car. Apparently more OEM's are starting support for it soon but not sure the car would unless there was a software update?
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

My wife has ordered a Skoda Kamiq which has it. We tried it on our extended unaccompanied test drive and it was a pain to connect and kept dropping out randomly. It’s very immature tech and I think it will be a while before it’s as reliable as a wired connection.
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Post by brainbow »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:13 pm Details of some of the 2021 model year changes for the Polo range, as reported on PoloDriver.com website;
  • Looks as if the entry level S model is being dropped, and the Polo range will now begin with the SE model (I thought this model had been replaced by the Polo Match?).
  • 2021 model cars will be ‘wearing’ the new VW emblem on the front grille, hatch badge/handle, and presumably the wheel centre caps and steering wheel. Repositioning of the ‘Polo’ badge on the tailgate below the VW hatch handle (as per the mk8 Golf).
  • New interior and exterior ‘treatment‘ (whatever that means) for the Beats model.
  • SEL available with 1.0 93bhp engine.
  • Wireless Apply CarPlay.
  • Addition of an emergency call service feature.
  • Cleaner RDE2 compliant engines to be introduced.
Link to the article below;

http://www.polodriver.com/polo-2017/mod ... olo-range/
When do these take place?
Not sure about the new Golf badge in the middle, maybe it will grow on me. Wonder if the styling of the Polo badge changes or just the position?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:36 pm No changes for the GTI, SRGTD?

Really don't like what VW have done with the MK8 Golf in terms of lettering/styling. The GTI font change and moving into the centre just annoys me for some reason.

Would absolutely love wireless Android Auto in my car. Apparently more OEM's are starting support for it soon but not sure the car would unless there was a software update?
Some of the changes listed will apply to the GTI; new style VW emblem, wireless Apple CarPlay, emergency service call button and I dare say the GTI badge (probably in the same font style as that used on the mk8 Golf GTI badge) on tailgate will be centrally placed under the hatch handle. I could live without any of those though. As for wireless Apple CarPlay; if wireless charging isn’t standard (no mention of it), you’d still need to plug your phone in to charge it, which IMO sort of makes wireless CarPlay less of a benefit.
brainbow wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:17 pm When do these take place?
Not sure about the new Golf badge in the middle, maybe it will grow on me. Wonder if the styling of the Polo badge changes or just the position?
Historically, VW’s main model changes for the next year’s model have been incorporated into vehicle production from build week 22, so in a normal year, model year 2021 changes would have started being built around the end of May 2020. There has also been a second round of smaller changes from build week 45 in some years. However, with the impact of Covid-19 and 2020 being anything but a normal year, I dare say VW’s (and many other manufacturers) schedules for making changes / updates to their products have been very different this year. As build week 45 falls around the beginning of November, then VW may well incorporate these changes into vehicle production from November.

As for the font used for the Polo badge; I’d expect this to be the same as that used on the mk8 Golf tailgate badge.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

The move to place the POLO logo centre rear below badge irks me greatly... as seen with the Golf 8 models.

I much prefer the current setup (interior) and the wireless carplay for me is just meh, cable always works way better.

I've also found that the induction (wireless) charging doesnt always work because the phone moves around in the space provided while driving, and dont recommend this as an option box to tick when making your purchase.

The only thing on my wish list is a rachet type centre armrest.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

I don’t think I be rushing out to upgrade my present Polo to the 2021 model.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Found this over on the German website Autobilde today:
https://www.autobild.de/artikel/vw-polo ... 38345.html
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:52 am Found this over on the German website Autobilde today:
More like MK8? Expect it to be slapped by the ugly stick, lose all its dash/infotainment screen buttons for a harder to use on the move buttonless interface and cost a lot more despite some very noticeable cost saving going on.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:35 am
OomStu_ZA wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:52 am Found this over on the German website Autobilde today:
More like MK8? Expect it to be slapped by the ugly stick, lose all its dash/infotainment screen buttons for a harder to use on the move buttonless interface and cost a lot more despite some very noticeable cost saving going on.
Can't make much out from that not knowing any German but are they suggesting ideas for the replacement new design MK11 or the facelift for 2021? I suspect as well it will take a lead from the Golf, big ugly Ipad on the dashboard and strange styling. Even possibly petrol hybrid power only? Perhaps the current MK10 is the best it gets and enjoy it whilst it lasts. I don't like the Golf badge treatment on the rear either, looks like some accessory self adhesive badges from Ebay not a nice font and looks gimmicky. Skoda and Ford have gone the same way just to be D I F F E R E N T...
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

I think @monkeyhanger is spot on regarding the interior.

Auto Bild is the sister publication of Auto Express who have a reputation for producing some woefully inaccurate renders of mid life model refreshes and next generation models.

The car in that video has new panel pressings for bonnet, wings, doors and rear quarter panels (waist level creases have been removed from the side), top of the VW emblem on the grille doesn’t ‘cut’ into the leading edge of the bonnet. I’d say it’s extremely unlikely that VW will completely re-clad the Polo with new panels as part of a mid life refresh; that would be an expensive facelift. Externally, the previous generation car’s mid life facelift just got new bumpers, head light and tail light clusters (internal elements of the lights were redesigned) and some new alloy wheels for some models.

A mid life refresh is to maintain customer interest and sales at low cost to the manufacturer, so I’d anticipate that externally, we might see a redesign of the bumpers, possibly new front wings if VW fit the mk8 Golf and latest Tiguan style headlamps with ‘eyebrows’ which would then necessitate a redesign of the front wings, and maybe there’ll be some new alloy wheel designs. That’s likely to be it for the exterior, and the interior’s likely to lose its easy to use, intuitive controls, with some of the basic, often used functions hidden somewhere in a sub sub menu accessed from a large iPad style touchscreen. Mechanically, there might be some hybrid engine options - maybe the GTI will reappear with a petrol/electric hybrid engine - similar to that used in the mk8 Golf GTE - to make it more emissions-friendly.

I’m glad I’ve got my GTI+; a car that hasn’t been hit with the ugly stick and has conventional interior controls 🙂.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am I think @monkeyhanger is spot on regarding the interior.

Auto Bild is the sister publication of Auto Express who have a reputation for producing some woefully inaccurate renders of mid life model refreshes and next generation models.

The car in that video has new panel pressings for bonnet, wings, doors and rear quarter panels (waist level creases have been removed from the side), top of the VW emblem on the grille doesn’t ‘cut’ into the leading edge of the bonnet. I’d say it’s extremely unlikely that VW will completely re-clad the Polo with new panels as part of a mid life refresh; that would be an expensive facelift. Externally, the previous generation car’s mid life facelift just got new bumpers, head light and tail light clusters (internal elements of the lights were redesigned) and some new alloy wheels for some models.

A mid life refresh is to maintain customer interest and sales at low cost to the manufacturer, so I’d anticipate that externally, we might see a redesign of the bumpers, possibly new front wings if VW fit the mk8 Golf and latest Tiguan style headlamps with ‘eyebrows’ which would then necessitate a redesign of the front wings, and maybe there’ll be some new alloy wheel designs. That’s likely to be it for the exterior, and the interior’s likely to lose its easy to use, intuitive controls, with some of the basic, often used functions hidden somewhere in a sub sub menu accessed from a large iPad style touchscreen. Mechanically, there might be some hybrid engine options - maybe the GTI will reappear with a petrol/electric hybrid engine - similar to that used in the mk8 Golf GTE - to make it more emissions-friendly.

I’m glad I’ve got my GTI+; a car that hasn’t been hit with the ugly stick and has conventional interior controls 🙂.
I think you are on the money - mid life facelift likely to bring it in line visually with the latest VW family image similar to the Golf, ugly headlamps included.
fran_92
New
Drives: Polo GTI 200hp

Post by fran_92 »

Some pics of the GTI model with the changes of 2021.

The blue line in the picture of the roof are the buttton for emergency call and something more that I don't know.

I would change only the front usb, because they are iluminated, but I don't like the new logos.
Attachments
9.JPG
9.JPG (88.74 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
8.JPG
8.JPG (124.07 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
7.JPG
7.JPG (94.76 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (123.95 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (84.86 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (100.94 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (61.67 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (99.42 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Was expecting a few more changes to be honest. Agree on the logos, the placement and GTI font is horrible.

Looks like they've gone from USB A > C. That's nice to see.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Seeing the changes, I can say I don’t have 2021 model year change envy, and won’t be losing sleep over having a 2020 model.

I prefer the tailgate placement of the GTI badge on my car, rather than the new position under the VW emblem tailgate handle; I also prefer the original GTI font, which harks back to the early GTI’s.

I quite like the latest VW emblem used on the front grille, tailgate handle, wheel centre caps and steering wheel boss. I won’t be swapping out those parts to get the latest VW emblem though.