Delivery/Tracking

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MrTomOates
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Delivery/Tracking

Post by MrTomOates »

Simonz wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:17 am
MrTomOates wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:11 am A step closer...

Had a call this morning from the dealership. Turns out my car is due to be sited on the 2nd and ready to be collected on the 4th.

The long wait is may be coming to an end!
Excellent news! Not a bad birthday present - in just over a week you will be a GTI driver... 8)
Cheers mate, it's not bad at all is it :lol: I do wish that the process was as quick for everybody else, some have just been ridiculously unlucky.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

MrTomOates wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:06 am
MrTomOates wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:11 am A step closer...

Had a call this morning from the dealership. Turns out my car is due to be sited on the 2nd and ready to be collected on the 4th.

The long wait is may be coming to an end!
Excellent news! Not a bad birthday present - in just over a week you will be a GTI driver... 8)
Cheers mate, it's not bad at all is it :lol: I do wish that the process was as quick for everybody else, some have just been ridiculously unlucky.
Yes the long waiting for months does sound a pain. I'm not sure if it's the same for other manufacturers if you order a brand new car? A lot of the problem might be VW building them in South Africa and the complex shipping arrangements. If they were built in Germany it might be faster. TBH not sure how long is average if you ordered something from Mazda or Hyundai and it has to come a fair distance.
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

Simonz wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:40 pm
MrTomOates wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:06 am

Yes the long waiting for months does sound a pain. I'm not sure if it's the same for other manufacturers if you order a brand new car? A lot of the problem might be VW building them in South Africa and the complex shipping arrangements. If they were built in Germany it might be faster. TBH not sure how long is average if you ordered something from Mazda or Hyundai and it has to come a fair distance.
I'd love to know this as well. I do know that South Africa was a big factor for why everybody has to wait so long. I ordered a factory new Vauxhall Corsa SRI 1.4, 4 years ago on PCP and that was a 3 month wait until it was delivered.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

This year, lead times in general will have been affected by Covid-19; Build times of RHD Polos were delayed as a result of the Uitenhage factory closure from the end of March to mid-late May during lockdown, adding up to 10 weeks to build times. Transportation journey times of cars once they have left the factory may also have been affected if employees of the car carrying vessels and drivers of car transporters have had been off work self isolating if they’ve had - or come into contact with someone who’s had - Covid-19.

Covid-19 aside, the journey time from VW’s Uitenhage SA production facility will be a factor in delivery times. Having said that, there’s a forum member over on golfgtiforum.co.uk whose German built Golf GTI TCR was sitting at Emden for around two months before being shipped to the UK. Maybe that’s an isolated case, but it illustrates that people can have lengthy waits for cars built much closer to home.

VW’s system (if there is one!) for building new car does seem to be pretty haphazard. However, like many other car makers, they operate the JIT (Just in time) business model so don’t have a ready stock of parts and components to pick off the shelf - components and parts are delivered ‘just in time’ for each car’s build, so there’s a key dependency on suppliers. It only takes one supplier of a critical component or part to have production issues and there could be significant impacts on VW’s car production (although hopefully VW use more than one supplier of ‘critical’ parts). I can remember back in the early 2010’s there were issues with the supply of DSG transmissions for the mk6 Golf which added a number of weeks to build times for DSG equipped cars.

Those forum members who were early adopters of the current Polo GTI / GTI+ had varying wait times for their cars to be built - some waited just a few months whereas others waited over a year and there seemed to be no pattern or specific reason (e.g. certain options such as 18” alloys, sunroof etc.) as to why some cars took so long. In contrast, BMW seem to be pretty good and generally speaking have short lead times. My Spanish built previous generation Polo GTI was also turned around pretty quickly and was at the dealers around 3.5 months after ordering it.

Always worth checking on where a car is built when doing your research before ordering one, so you can factor in the transportation time to the UK. That way, you can help to manage your own expectations around lead times and when you’re likely to get your car.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

I remember a forum member on here waited 12+ months for his GTI. The wait times going back a year were absolutely ridiculous. Waited 9 months myself and that was torture, don't think I'd do it again.

Looks like things have improved since then which is good for people ordering now. :)
pie1910
New
Drives: Match

Post by pie1910 »

S_94 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:28 pm I remember a forum member on here waited 12+ months for his GTI. The wait times going back a year were absolutely ridiculous. Waited 9 months myself and that was torture, don't think I'd do it again.

Looks like things have improved since then which is good for people ordering now. :)
Mine has only been around one month and it has killed me haha.

I received an email from the dealership a little earlier asking to sign the registration document, I asked on the off-chance if they'd got a date for it to arrive... they said it had not long since arrived today! Not received my text yet but I expect it'll come through in the morning.
PhilArnold
Bronze Member
Drives: White AW Gti+

Post by PhilArnold »

pie1910 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:28 pm
S_94 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:28 pm I remember a forum member on here waited 12+ months for his GTI. The wait times going back a year were absolutely ridiculous. Waited 9 months myself and that was torture, don't think I'd do it again.

Mine has only been around one month and it has killed me haha.

I received an email from the dealership a little earlier asking to sign the registration document, I asked on the off-chance if they'd got a date for it to arrive... they said it had not long since arrived today! Not received my text yet but I expect it'll come through in the morning.
Think yourself lucky with 1 month, mines been on order 8 months, down to collect next week if the dealer can get their numbers right!
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

Had the stage 7 text this morning. Does this mean it's reached the dealership? Regardless, the app still says stage 5c. :lol:
PhilArnold
Bronze Member
Drives: White AW Gti+

Post by PhilArnold »

MrTomOates wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:22 pm Had the stage 7 text this morning. Does this mean it's reached the dealership? Regardless, the app still says stage 5c. :lol:
Yes, stage 7 is at dealer
ShockingIce
Getting There!

Post by ShockingIce »

MrTomOates wrote:Had the stage 7 text this morning. Does this mean it's reached the dealership? Regardless, the app still says stage 5c. :lol:
Oh how the tables have turned [emoji23] I arrived UK before you but yours is dealership before mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

ShockingIce wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:02 pm
MrTomOates wrote:Had the stage 7 text this morning. Does this mean it's reached the dealership? Regardless, the app still says stage 5c. :lol:
Oh how the tables have turned [emoji23] I arrived UK before you but yours is dealership before mine.

It actually is quite ridiculous. It's unpredictable to say the least. I received a call 2 days ago from the dealership already arranging a date to come and collect the car. The tests I believe are being conducted on the 2nd and I am collecting on the 4th. Goes to show, these updates from the app and text messages are nothing to go by, and if somebody was on the ship before yours, don't believe that it's weeks away from the person.
ShockingIce
Getting There!

Post by ShockingIce »

MrTomOates wrote:
ShockingIce wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:02 pm

It actually is quite ridiculous. It's unpredictable to say the least. I received a call 2 days ago from the dealership already arranging a date to come and collect the car. The tests I believe are being conducted on the 2nd and I am collecting on the 4th. Goes to show, these updates from the app and text messages are nothing to go by, and if somebody was on the ship before yours, don't believe that it's weeks away from the person.
I strangely received a “arrived in UK email” today even thought i received one on the 21st august stating it was in UK and tracker + dealer said it was too. Maybe they have clicked the wrong button and meant to say arrived in dealership?

ShockingIce
Getting There!

Post by ShockingIce »

ShockingIce wrote:
MrTomOates wrote:
ShockingIce wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:02 pm Oh how the tables have turned [emoji23] I arrived UK before you but yours is dealership before mine.

I strangely received a “arrived in UK email” today even thought i received one on the 21st august stating it was in UK and tracker + dealer said it was too. Maybe they have clicked the wrong button and meant to say arrived in dealership?

Ignore this - dealer has said I can pick the bad boy up tomorrow [emoji7]

MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

ShockingIce wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:48 am
ShockingIce wrote:
MrTomOates wrote: It actually is quite ridiculous. It's unpredictable to say the least. I received a call 2 days ago from the dealership already arranging a date to come and collect the car. The tests I believe are being conducted on the 2nd and I am collecting on the 4th. Goes to show, these updates from the app and text messages are nothing to go by, and if somebody was on the ship before yours, don't believe that it's weeks away from the person.

That’s amazing news mate!
What car are you getting?
Let us know how it is 🥳
ShockingIce
Getting There!

Post by ShockingIce »

MrTomOates wrote:
ShockingIce wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:48 am
ShockingIce wrote: I strangely received a “arrived in UK email” today even thought i received one on the 21st august stating it was in UK and tracker + dealer said it was too. Maybe they have clicked the wrong button and meant to say arrived in dealership?

That’s amazing news mate!
What car are you getting?
Let us know how it is [emoji3060]
Got a White Polo GTI+ with 18” brescia, electric air con, velour pack, heated seats and iron coloured inserts.

Wanted GTI tartan but mrs wouldn’t let me [emoji23]