Help - Polo 2.0 TSI GTI DSG horrible noise from rear

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Goonergal1974
New
Drives: 2.0 TSI GTI 5dr DSG

Help - Polo 2.0 TSI GTI DSG horrible noise from rear

Post by Goonergal1974 »

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me? I have a Polo 2.0 TSI GTI DSG (2019) that I purchased in November. After about a month I noticed a horrible noise I can only describe as sounding like a couple of whales mating/Chewbacca in my backseat/rear when reversing and applying the brakes. I had the RAC come out and check it and was advised that I contact my local VIndis dealer who asked me to bring it in which I did in December. After a day in the shop, I was told it was a normal noise to be expected as was a brand new car and that there was nothing wrong with discs/pads etc. This continued for two months and after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, googling and numerous You tube searches; I found that this could possibly be a software issue or that the Discs/pads needed to be changed as had been an issue in Germany? I managed to convince VIndis to take it in again after a few heated discussions citing the forums and info I’d found, along with the threat to take the matter higher however Covid 19 hit so it was postponed. In July they contacted me and informed me that there was indeed a problem with the car (they’d had a directive from VW) and that it needed to be resolved with a software update, this was done end of July however the noise IS STILL HAPPENING! Has anyone else had or know of a similar issue and what the outcome was that I can arm myself with to get them to resolve it? Having forked out £28000+ with all the extras it’s becoming embarrassing when I’m reversing to park and my brand new motor that is the envy of many; sounds like it has whales mating in the back!😳😂 Please help as I feel like I’m getting the whole “stupid female, let’s palm her off” rubbish every time I call them with the issue. PS...as a newbie to the joys of GTI, I would despite these issues buy another or recommend, it is a joy to drive and so much fun! 😍
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Re: Help - Polo 2.0 TSI GTI DSG horrible noise from rear

Post by stuartrendall »

Unfortunately this has not been solved yet and I recently became a victim of this mooing sound as it is referred to. Is has been discussed in depth in a different thread: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=72392&p=572543&hil ... ng#p572543 . I won't be bothering taking it to VW until I know there is a solid fix otherwise it'll constantly be in and out of the garage. Just embrace the moo I suppose.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Discussion of this issue on the forum had gone very quiet in recent weeks.

I was wondering if newer owners weren’t having the problem, which could have suggested VW may have implemented a fix on the production line in the factory on new cars that would then be applied by dealers to existing owners’ cars with the mooing rear brakes.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Mine only makes a noise when the discs are wet if the cars been standing in the rain. I’ve only had the car for nearly three weeks however and done only 650 miles.
wayne10244
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI +

Post by wayne10244 »

I think it’s down to the compound of the pads if they are a hard compound you are always going to get a noise plus most German car makers use hard compounds in there brake pads plus they cause excessive brake dust as well. I changed my rear brake pads to EBC yellow stuff and I glad I did. Due to the hard compound of the factory pad they was starting to crumble apart and the car only had done over 7,000 miles. It’s quite common for this to happen as I been and work for a large brake company for over 32 years
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

wayne10244 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:20 am I think it’s down to the compound of the pads if they are a hard compound you are always going to get a noise plus most German car makers use hard compounds in there brake pads plus they cause excessive brake dust as well. I changed my rear brake pads to EBC yellow stuff and I glad I did. Due to the hard compound of the factory pad they was starting to crumble apart and the car only had done over 7,000 miles. It’s quite common for this to happen as I been and work for a large brake company for over 32 years
Did you get the mooing noise and if you did, has it stopped now you’ve changed the pads?
stuartrendall
Bronze Member

Post by stuartrendall »

How hard really can this be to fix for a giant like VW. Realistically they need a car that is know to have the issue. Stick it on a rolling road and shove a bunch of sound and resonance sensors on the components in the rear arches. It's just lazy on their part. They're selling the cars and if doesn't effect safety so I presume they've left this on the back burner.

Has anyone tried sticking a go-pro in a wheel arch to see if they can find the issue? Maybe the sound itself might be coming from something else on the rear like maybe a brake duct or a roll bar. I personally haven't looked at the components in the rear of the car so don't have a full understanding of if the sound could be amplified through a different component.
wayne10244
Getting There!

Post by wayne10244 »

Still get some noise now and then! But not as bad as with the factory pads when they was fitted.also try and put some copper grease on the back of the brake pads as this can help!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

stuartrendall wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:59 pm How hard really can this be to fix for a giant like VW. Realistically they need a car that is know to have the issue. Stick it on a rolling road and shove a bunch of sound and resonance sensors on the components in the rear arches. It's just lazy on their part. They're selling the cars and if doesn't effect safety so I presume they've left this on the back burner.

Has anyone tried sticking a go-pro in a wheel arch to see if they can find the issue? Maybe the sound itself might be coming from something else on the rear like maybe a brake duct or a roll bar. I personally haven't looked at the components in the rear of the car so don't have a full understanding of if the sound could be amplified through a different component.
As you’ve said, it doesn’t affect safety or braking efficiency and I doubt it’s having a detrimental impact on car sales volumes, so it’ll be very low priority within VW to invest time, money and resource on fixing it.
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by TheRacingRat »

So my car is 7 weeks old tomorrow and have not had this noise yet.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member

Post by stuartrendall »

TheRacingRat wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:00 pm So my car is 7 weeks old tomorrow and have not had this noise yet.
The noise started 4 months in and 2000miles. When makes the sound you'll definitely hear it. To be honest it doesn't really bother me whenever I have a friend or family in the car we hum along with it. Its just become part of the character of the car.
sc-red
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI+

Post by sc-red »

stuartrendall wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:38 pm
TheRacingRat wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:00 pm So my car is 7 weeks old tomorrow and have not had this noise yet.
The noise started 4 months in and 2000miles. When makes the sound you'll definitely hear it. To be honest it doesn't really bother me whenever I have a friend or family in the car we hum along with it. Its just become part of the character of the car.
My first experience with mooing was about 1 week in, but only ever happens after washing my car, or very heavy rain.
Mike222
Getting There!
Drives: Polo gti 2023 face lift Reefblue /black

Post by Mike222 »

Mine does it occasionally, seems to depend on humidity, but it does not bother me in the slightest, I don’t go far in reverse !!!!!!
wayne10244
Getting There!

Post by wayne10244 »

Don’t forget as your pads bed in they start to glaze and you get a harmonic sound in the wet. For instance this happens with disc brakes on mtb bikes in the wet as well they howl if you change to a softer compound of pad it stops it happening
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Someone asked me the other day if I had carbon ceramic brakes because of the "mooing" :P