Front assist mysteriously disabled at 1 location on 2 occasions

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
fletch555
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Front assist mysteriously disabled at 1 location on 2 occasions

Post by fletch555 »

During my staycation, I noticed while driving past Lough Salt in Donegal, Ireland that the front assist disabled. I thought it was due to the bad weather conditions but another time passing it in better weather, once again, it disabled. Anybody know why it might have happened? It felt otherworldly as its quite an isolated location. The only thing I noticed about the road was a small wire fence along the lake shore. Perhaps it confuses the sensor? See the road https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.08127 ... 312!8i6656
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Front assist mysteriously disabled at 1 location on 2 occasions

Post by S_94 »

Has happened to me on a few occasions. Once in heavy rain and another in perfect sunny weather.

Think the sensor gets thrown off by something and it just stops working. If it keeps occurring could be worth getting VW to inspect further.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Hasn't happened on my Polo, but on my Golf R with the old lower front grille mounted ACC sensor, it used to throw off a fault predictably in on place.

The northbound side of the Tyne tunnel corkscrews on its ascent and for about half a mile you're in a constant 30 degree left turn. When you emerge out in the open, the sensor threw up a fault.

Any long bends on your journey?
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

Had this last week in very heavy rain. As soon the heavy rain passed the front assist came back online again.
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Post by Dazeredo »

Also once in heavy rain, after doing motorway and start to do city drive. Cleaned the front symbol and still didn't work, only after parked the car for some time (15 minutes) the system came alive again.
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

Looking at the Google image, might that be an electric fence? - if so, it could be causing interference with the sencors.

Next time you pass, get out and grab the wire ---- ;)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

That fence looks more like a seriously strong catch fence to stop cars/bikes ending up in the water, an electric fence would normally be on the "land" side of the road to encourage stock from wandering onto the road.

Edit:- it is steel though, so could be causing an anomaly.