Seat Ibiza gets 1.5 EVO TSI engine

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Seat Ibiza gets 1.5 EVO TSI engine

Post by SRGTD »

From seatcupra.net forum;

SEAT is introducing the 1.5 litre TSI engine to the Ibiza, linked to a seven-speed DSG dual-clutch transmission. The new option produces 150PS (110kW) of power and 250Nm of torque.

The new TSI unit will boost the SEAT Ibiza’s performance, giving it a top speed of 219km/h, and the Ibiza will be able to reach 100km/h from a standing start in 8.2 seconds.

This engine will only be available with the seven-speed DSG dual-clutch transmission.

The DSG technology makes shifting smoother and faster, providing a more dynamic experience behind the steering wheel, while also increasing comfort levels for all vehicle occupants.

The SEAT Ibiza 1.5 TSI 150 PS DSG uses between 5.6 and 6.4 litres/100km based on the official WLTP test cycle. CO2 emissions are 128-147 g/km.

I wonder if this power plant will also appear in the Polo (R-Line)? It was available in the R-Line in the initial Polo model line up when the current version of the Polo was first launched towards the end of 2017, but it very quickly mysteriously disappeared without explanation. I suspect one of the reasons for it being available only with DSG transmission is the ‘kangaroo effect’ that some owners appear to have experienced with this engine when coupled with a manual gearbox in other VAG models - jerky and hesitant when moving off from rest when the engine is cold. VW have produced a software fix, but owners over on the mk3 Leon board of seatcupra.net forum still report problems after getting the software update.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/ownin ... vo-engine/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/new-c ... -problems/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/new-c ... on-issues/
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: Seat Ibiza gets 1.5 EVO TSI engine

Post by lancslad1985 »

My old man has a troc with this engine in manual from release and has never had any issues with it despite wide reports on forums from that time. When I got my troc at the same time I test drive the 1.5 due to the prevalent jerking issue and found no problems again, nor any problems when I tried an A3 with this engine a few months back vs the gti. I know a few people with these 1.5 engines in manual with no issues at all, I’ve only heard about it on the internet.

Every car I’ve driven with this engine does seem to have a biting point more similar to a diesel than a petrol, so maybe people are just lifting up too quick expecting it to be higher? Would also explain why I’ve no issues as I’ve had mainly diesels in the past.
ShockingIce
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by ShockingIce »

SRGTD wrote:From seatcupra.net forum;

SEAT is introducing the 1.5 litre TSI engine to the Ibiza, linked to a seven-speed DSG dual-clutch transmission. The new option produces 150PS (110kW) of power and 250Nm of torque.

The new TSI unit will boost the SEAT Ibiza’s performance, giving it a top speed of 219km/h, and the Ibiza will be able to reach 100km/h from a standing start in 8.2 seconds.

This engine will only be available with the seven-speed DSG dual-clutch transmission.

The DSG technology makes shifting smoother and faster, providing a more dynamic experience behind the steering wheel, while also increasing comfort levels for all vehicle occupants.

The SEAT Ibiza 1.5 TSI 150 PS DSG uses between 5.6 and 6.4 litres/100km based on the official WLTP test cycle. CO2 emissions are 128-147 g/km.

I wonder if this power plant will also appear in the Polo (R-Line)? It was available in the R-Line in the initial Polo model line up when the current version of the Polo was first launched towards the end of 2017, but it very quickly mysteriously disappeared without explanation. I suspect one of the reasons for it being available only with DSG transmission is the ‘kangaroo effect’ that some owners appear to have experienced with this engine when coupled with a manual gearbox in other VAG models - jerky and hesitant when moving off from rest when the engine is cold. VW have produced a software fix, but owners over on the mk3 Leon board of seatcupra.net forum still report problems after getting the software update.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/ownin ... vo-engine/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/new-c ... -problems/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/new-c ... on-issues/
I had a Seat Ibiza 2018 EVO TSI 1.5. This got taken off the market pretty quickly due to apparent malfunctions but I managed to get one that worked and was good. It was a manual that packed some power! I loved tbh so if the engine is similar to that (which mine was 0-100kmh in 7.9secs) so it will be nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

I would of choose the 1.5 TSI engine over the 1.0 if it was available when I ordered my Polo last year.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Steve_2019 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:31 am I would of choose the 1.5 TSI engine over the 1.0 if it was available when I ordered my Polo last year.
I bet a SEL or R-Line with that EVO engine would be pennies a month less than GTI+ and not much better fuel economy - cylinder deactivation under low loads probably not saving much fuel over use of the Budack cycle under low loads.

With the Ibiza not coming in Cupra variant to use the 2.0TSI lump, it makes more sense for it to get the 1.5 EVO than the Polo to get both units.

The new A3 is available with the 1.5 EVO but not with the 2.0TSI. When the S3 makes an appearance, it'll not be the EA888 3B variant.

Will be interesting to see what the new Golf GTI brings - will they get a higher output version of the 3B variant or will they stick with the DI "3" variant that doesn't include port injection and Budack cycle?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:43 am
Steve_2019 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:31 am I would of choose the 1.5 TSI engine over the 1.0 if it was available when I ordered my Polo last year.
I bet a SEL or R-Line with that EVO engine would be pennies a month less than GTI+ and not much better fuel economy - cylinder deactivation under low loads probably not saving much fuel over use of the Budack cycle under low loads.

With the Ibiza not coming in Cupra variant to use the 2.0TSI lump, it makes more sense for it to get the 1.5 EVO than the Polo to get both units.
Agree.

I can remember when the 1.5 EVO TSI engine was in the initial model line up for the current model Ibiza (in FR trim with manual gearbox) before it was dropped. When the launch prices for the Polo GTI / GTI+ were announced back in late 2017/early 2018, I did some ‘back of the fag packet’ calculations to work out how the price of a Polo R-Line 1.5 with DSG transmission would compare to the GTI, taking the price difference of the 1.0 115ps Ibiza FR DSG and the 1.5 150ps Ibiza FR with DSG transmission, and loading that price differential onto the (then) list price of the 1.0 115ps Polo R-Line with DSG. The likely list price of a 1.5 150ps Polo R-Line with DSG was coming out higher than the non-plus Polo GTI.

So if a 1.5 R-Line with DSG does make an appearance in the Polo line up, the PCP monthlies would very likely be more than you’d pay for a non-plus GTI, and not much less than you’d pay for a GTI+.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Those monthlies for the R-Line are likely to be as high, if not higher than the GTI+ because the superior GFV/residuaks as a % of RRP is considerably better on the GTI+ than the rest of the range, wiping out any RRP differences. Actual money paid to cover depreciation over a PCP term may be less with the GTI+.