Running car in

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Magpie-01
New
Drives: Polo r line

Running car in

Post by Magpie-01 »

Hi I’ve had my polo gti plus for a couple of weeks now and was just a bit curious as to how people are running their car in some people say to flog it when the engine has warmed up others say to be gentle ?.
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Re: Running car in

Post by POLO Clive »

And you'll probably get the same different opinions on here Magpie :lol:
GTI Polo Fin
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2019

Post by GTI Polo Fin »

In owner’s manual it is said that you should not do a kick down on first 1000 kilometers
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

POLO Clive wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:19 pm And you'll probably get the same different opinions on here Magpie :lol:
Very true.

When I get a new car, I just drive it normally, although my ‘normal’ won’t be the same as some other people’s normal 😀.

In general terms, don’t drive too enthusiastically until the engine oil is up to optimum temperature (not just when the car is new, but always), avoid labouring the engine, and vary the engine rpm frequently. Avoid driving at a constant engine speed in the same gear for prolonged periods.

Fluid level checking - although this will (or should) be part of normal checks for most people, check under bonnet fluid levels regularly, as some engines may use a little oil initially. Also, if there are any air locks in the cooling system, when this air works it’s way out of the system over time, the coolant level in the expansion tank will drop as coolant fills the space previously occupied by the air lock(s).
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

I use the car very gently during first 3000 miles, while using the whole rev range per every gear necessary - so going up to 3.5k in 1st, 2nd etc. Then after the 3000 miles mark I tend to push it more sprightly while still using the full rev range until about 6000 miles, and from there I push it harder only when engine oil temp is 90’c. Then at 10,000 miles I start using it more in the lower rev range and eventually around 12,000 miles I use it without any limitations. I have got 26,100 miles on my 2019 polo now and doesn’t drink any oil + it gets serviced by me every 5k miles with dealer service at 10, 20, 30 etc. Buy Mannol 7715 oil as it’s only £15-20 for 5 litres and takes a hour to change yourself Inbetween oil changes, although you don’t need to do this but I do it for peace of mind!
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:32 pm I use the car very gently during first 3000 miles, while using the whole rev range per every gear necessary - so going up to 3.5k in 1st, 2nd etc. Then after the 3000 miles mark I tend to push it more sprightly while still using the full rev range until about 6000 miles, and from there I push it harder only when engine oil temp is 90’c. Then at 10,000 miles I start using it more in the lower rev range and eventually around 12,000 miles I use it without any limitations. I have got 26,100 miles on my 2019 polo now and doesn’t drink any oil + it gets serviced by me every 5k miles with dealer service at 10, 20, 30 etc. Buy Mannol 7715 oil as it’s only £15-20 for 5 litres and takes a hour to change yourself Inbetween oil changes, although you don’t need to do this but I do it for peace of mind!
That all.seems a little extreme and OCD to wait 12k miles before you use it with no limitations. For those PCPing or leasing, they could be over halfway through their term before using it without limitation, following that advice.

If you baby an engine like that you're more likely to get in a situation with glazed bores and high oil consumption with poorly seated oil scraper rings.

Now we all have GPFs, you're less likely to put your car in a situation where it gets hot enough for long enough to passively burn off the accumulated soot.

Also, an inherent fault (like a dodgy turbo or injector) might not manifest itself in an actual fault until its had a good work out.

Fully synthetic oil is more than capable of providing consistent protection for 10k miles, and although the oil cgange is a cinch to do, there's really no need to change it every 6 months unless you're doing in excess of 15k miles a year.

The amount of throttle used is more important than the revs you get to. For the first 500 miles I'd avoid more than half throttle, and for the next 500 I'd avoid more than 2/3 throttle. After that I'd use it normally.

Most importantly, whether 10 miles or 50k miles on the clock - never thrash a cold engine, although VW have removed this ability from their cars since 2013 as the ECU limits power to around 75% until oil temp hits 70C.

There's no way you should buy a GTI and drive it like a diesel truck for a year before you can have some fun with it.
jackwhittle760
New
Drives: GTI+

Post by jackwhittle760 »

I picked my GTI up last Wednesday. The first few days (200 miles) I tried to keep it below 2500rpm but took it up to 3000rpm on occasions, always varying the revs and allowing it to change gear, even on motorway I was constantly accelerating gently to 70mph then letting off and slowing to 50mph and then repeating. The key for me was never sitting at a constant speed and always varying my throttle input. I didn’t use more than 1/3 throttle. As well as not letting the revs climb too high and I also made sure not to let the revs sit too low in order to avoid labouring the engine.

The next few days up to about 400 miles, I starting driving the car a bit more normal, basically extending my limits, allowing the car to rev up to 4000rpm on occasions, driving the car in more of a sporty manor using maybe 1/2 the throttle now.

I’m nearly up to 500 miles so feel pretty comfortable driving it normally but still won’t be trashing it, taking it up to the redline or doing any long low revving cruises until at least 1000 to 1500 miles.

I hope this helps, may of been a load of nonsense who knows, but for me my method is be gentle but also don’t be afraid to start pushing a bit. Best thing you can do for a car is use it for what it was meant for but look after it too.

(Quick note; I always let it warm up to temperature and cool down after most drives)

(Another quick note; vary the type of driving you do, for me my drive to work is half an hour (30 miles) of national speed limit country roads, 40mph dual carriageways and town driving, I think this is a good mix to run a car in)

Again hope that made sense, I’m in a rush, need to go to work and get some more miles on the car now ;)
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I'm picking my Gti up this week.
I'll go through my usual new car routine of promising I'll take it easy......then someone will cut me up on the bypass and I'll rag the ass off it in return. :D
C'est la vie.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

jackwhittle760 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:08 am I picked my GTI up last Wednesday. The first few days (200 miles) I tried to keep it below 2500rpm but took it up to 3000rpm on occasions, always varying the revs and allowing it to change gear, even on motorway I was constantly accelerating gently to 70mph then letting off and slowing to 50mph and then repeating. The key for me was never sitting at a constant speed and always varying my throttle input. I didn’t use more than 1/3 throttle. As well as not letting the revs climb too high and I also made sure not to let the revs sit too low in order to avoid labouring the engine.
This is all well and good and I'm not saying it's wrong at all, but the last umpteen cars I've bought have been from dealers many hundreds of miles from where I live.

Renault Watford to Aberdeen
Hyundai milton Keynes to Aberdeen
Kia Manchester to Aberdeen
Land Rover Colchester to Aberdeen
Etc.

There's been no indication of any harm from this at all.
TBH I feel running in a car is a bit like fancy dog food.
It doesn't make any tangible difference at all, it just makes the owner feel better about themselves. :wink:
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by TheRacingRat »

10k before full power usage? That’s crazy!
For me:

Up to 600miles take it easy use all styles of driving.
600-1000 the same but with odd boot up to 5/6k or full power when oil warm.

1000 miles onwards once oil warm do what the heck you want.

It’s takes me a year to do 10k so no way am I waiting One year to use full power.

Now on 1200 miles and no oil used.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:46 pm
jackwhittle760 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:08 am I picked my GTI up last Wednesday. The first few days (200 miles) I tried to keep it below 2500rpm but took it up to 3000rpm on occasions, always varying the revs and allowing it to change gear, even on motorway I was constantly accelerating gently to 70mph then letting off and slowing to 50mph and then repeating. The key for me was never sitting at a constant speed and always varying my throttle input. I didn’t use more than 1/3 throttle. As well as not letting the revs climb too high and I also made sure not to let the revs sit too low in order to avoid labouring the engine.
This is all well and good and I'm not saying it's wrong at all, but the last umpteen cars I've bought have been from dealers many hundreds of miles from where I live.

Renault Watford to Aberdeen
Hyundai milton Keynes to Aberdeen
Kia Manchester to Aberdeen
Land Rover Colchester to Aberdeen
Etc.

There's been no indication of any harm from this at all.
TBH I feel running in a car is a bit like fancy dog food.
It doesn't make any tangible difference at all, it just makes the owner feel better about themselves. :wink:
Fancy dog food? No difference at all if you're not the one picking up the turds. :shock: Our new pup was weaned on crap Asda own kibble with 3% meat and loads of corn filler, shes now on some with 60% meat and no grains - huge difference to farting frequency and how nasty the turds are. :lol:

From 11 VAG cars I had from new, only 1 was run in on motorway miles and that had a huge thirst for oil - never again for me.
john M
New
Drives: AW12BVA

Post by john M »

Even the 1956 Beetle didn't need running in according to the instruction manual.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

I think up to 500 miles take it easy then just drive as normal. Worst thing you can do is pooter around it can cause long term problems with oil consumption.
Mine now on 30k and doesn't use a drop of oil, was thrashed regularly as a courtesy car judging by the front tyres when I bought it :P
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:15 pm From 11 VAG cars I had from new, only 1 was run in on motorway miles and that had a huge thirst for oil - never again for me.
Only car I've had with a thirst for oil was a 2.0Tdi Audi A3 sportback S-line DSG (deep breath...)
A litre of expensive long-life oil every 1300 miles or so, you had to make sure a litre was in the boot at all times.
That was bought locally, so no motorway running in there.
And it was endemic to the 2.0tdi engines, loads of folk moaned about it.

I've little choice about M-way driving on a new car to get the right deals.
Example, local dealer wanted £399 a month for a new Evoque on 6000 miles per year.
Dealer in Colchester, £350 a month for 12500 miles a year.
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

Aye just drive normal as said for a few hundred miles. Got to let all the parts break in, especially things like piston rings. Engines are made to such exact tolerances now, it's not uncommon to have small bits of metal in the oil which is why some high performance cars get an oil change after 500 miles.

Just don't be too hard. Don't be scared, drive it normally. As said worst thing you can do is rev it too hard all the way up to the top or stay stagnant at fixed speed and rpm for ages. Engine break, vary the gears (use the paddles if you want) and all will be well. :)