Running car in

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Running car in

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:06 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:15 pm From 11 VAG cars I had from new, only 1 was run in on motorway miles and that had a huge thirst for oil - never again for me.
Only car I've had with a thirst for oil was a 2.0Tdi Audi A3 sportback S-line DSG (deep breath...)
A litre of expensive long-life oil every 1300 miles or so, you had to make sure a litre was in the boot at all times.
That was bought locally, so no motorway running in there.
And it was endemic to the 2.0tdi engines, loads of folk moaned about it.

I've little choice about M-way driving on a new car to get the right deals.
Example, local dealer wanted £399 a month for a new Evoque on 6000 miles per year.
Dealer in Colchester, £350 a month for 12500 miles a year.
My drinker was a 2005 MK5 Golf GT 2.0TDI PD (140ps). It did about 800 miles in its first week, sat mainly at 70mph in 6th. Used a litre on its first 300 miles, a litre on its next 400 miles and a litre every 1200 mikes thereafter.

I've had 4 x 2.0TDIs since (Golf 2007 170TDI PD, Scirocco 2009 140TDI CR, Scirocco 2011 170TDI CR and 2013 Golf GTD 184ps CR and they've not required topping up between services.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nodster wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:50 pm Aye just drive normal as said for a few hundred miles. Got to let all the parts break in, especially things like piston rings. Engines are made to such exact tolerances now, it's not uncommon to have small bits of metal in the oil which is why some high performance cars get an oil change after 500 miles.

Just don't be too hard. Don't be scared, drive it normally. As said worst thing you can do is rev it too hard all the way up to the top or stay stagnant at fixed speed and rpm for ages. Engine break, vary the gears (use the paddles if you want) and all will be well. :)
First few hundred miles are as much for the brakes and tyres as the engine - that's not to say new tyres constitute a death trap.
PO10ASH
Getting There!
Drives: POLO GTI+

Post by PO10ASH »

So, I've had the car 8 days and I've managed to do around 680 miles. Most of my driving has been varied but I've had to do a couple of duel carriageway/motorway trips (around 200 miles), so I've tried to go through the gears, up to 70mph and down to 60mph etc etc. I've driven the car moderately sensible, no redlining or constant booting. Accidentally kicked back while at some traffic lights because I forgot I was in manual, so down shifted and never went back up for about 3 seconds, but other than that I've just drove with short bursts of "energy" after the engine is warm. Time will tell.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

FWIW, Honda did a test with motorbike engines a few years back and a bike magazine was present to do an article on it.
Two 1000cc engines with 30000 miles (which is high for a motorbike), one run-in as per their recommendations and one thrashed hard from the get-go.
There was little to no measurable difference between the engines.
Make of that what you will, but also remember bike engines are on a whole different level of tune from a car engine (180bhp+ per litre without turbos).
So if they're fine being used hard from new, I reckon our over-engineered, low revving car engines are too.