What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by stuartrendall »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:55 pm I see that you have the RC Design centre caps on yours. Do you know whether or not VW centre caps will fit?
I do believe they will fit if you get the correct size. I had a quick look on ebay but for my wheels with the matt black finish I couldn't find a set that would look good.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:08 pm Just wheels. I’m on a number of different VAG forums and I’ve expressed my dislike of diamond cut alloys from a practicality and durability point of view on those forums many, many times 🙂. I’m not a big fan of the white worm corrosion look for my wheels.

I bookmarked these either early this year or late last year - before I even decided to get the car. These are probably what I’ll go for (RC Design RC32’s)
25E96BD2-241B-4209-9CFC-A203BCDBD514.jpeg

They’re available in exactly the same size / spec as Brescia’s (7.5Jx18”, offset ET51, bolt pattern 5x100, centre bore 57.1), and they use existing VW wheel bolts, so they’re a straight swap. I think grey alloys and white car is a good combination. I don’t know if VW centre caps will fit, but if they don’t, that’s not a big issue IMO. They’re also available in grey with diamond cut face (a big no-no for me), and satin black. Forum member @stuartrendall has the 17” satin black version of these on his Reef Blue GTI.

It’ll probably be 2-3 months before I get them, and I’ll also use that as an opportunity to fit new tyres at the same time.
I have them for year and they are great :) as you said they are direct swap for brescias :) I have them in black on my white GTI I think black goes very well with other black details on bumpers etc :D
Attachments
20190705_112127.jpg
Jaimielad
New
Drives: Black 2016 Gti

Post by Jaimielad »

Just popped out to the shops
030FAB1A-9ADB-4E1D-BF70-DEB5FE134ABA.png
030FAB1A-9ADB-4E1D-BF70-DEB5FE134ABA.png (3.93 MiB) Viewed 2331 times
8A370F7D-F2E0-4B36-A762-A376E94BBB76.png
8A370F7D-F2E0-4B36-A762-A376E94BBB76.png (4.05 MiB) Viewed 2331 times
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

TheRacingRat wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:45 pm Nodster, was the turbo muffler delete pipe hard to fit and does it make any difference noise wise?
Sorry missed this! Yeah was really tricky but only because I refused point blank to take the pipe out of the way that goes to the intercooler (the hard pipe section that runs past the side of the engine / airbox. Otherwise it would have been easy! :lol: My wrists were bruised for a good few days.

But yeah not difficult. Undo the circlip (if you're lucky VW will have angled it nicely for you... mine wasn't!) and pull the small rubber section of pipe off. Undo the 3 screws / bolts and simply pull it out. Insert the new one (make sure to put the little rubber seal back around if it drops out of the recess). Fasten back up.

I don't have my Remus exhaust fitted yet and i just have the standard airbox so I'm a pretty good test for any noise changes. I would say, yes slightly, a bit more suck. Especially when first started and it is on the choke (so to speak). Would I say worth the 100 quid... tough one, but I had done the turbo elbow so wanted to do both bits. If I had to choose just one, I'd do the elbow all day instead.

Cheers.
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:29 pm
S_94 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:49 am Looks brilliant mate! 8)
The beer or the car? 😀.

Thanks, I’m pleased with it. Still getting used to the DSG. Some say that DSG ‘learns’ your driving style after a while - I’m not sure it does, or if it’s just that I may have adjusted my driving style a little, but it doesn’t seem to be in as much of a rush to get into 6th gear at low speeds as it did last week when I picked it up.

Looking forward to many miles of driving 🙂.
Took me awhile to learn to adapt to driving the DSG although I must admit, my dad's Q3 with DSG behaves much nicer. In normal drive it'll hold the revs a bit higher and longer. Whereas I find the Polo changes far too early and quickly gets up the gears, even when going up a hill I'm like OK just hold 3rd, nope into 4th it goes... then back down to 3rd. But I don't think the spongy accelerator helps (there's a delay from pressing to anything happening). So I'm going to try a pedal box soon to improve the responsiveness as I'm quite gently. I came from a 595 Abarth Comp and the accelerator on that thing, you could just rest your foot on it and it was away like a greyhound. Very very sensitive. Coming to the Polo I need to adapt to be more forceful so that car knows, yes I'm accelerating or no I'm not so change up... which I hate. But yeah, I can pull off the drive and the car will be in 4th gear and I'm like at max this should be 3rd so most of the time I use the paddles until I'm underway and happy.
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by TheRacingRat »

Nodster wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:07 pm
TheRacingRat wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:45 pm Nodster, was the turbo muffler delete pipe hard to fit and does it make any difference noise wise?
Sorry missed this! Yeah was really tricky but only because I refused point blank to take the pipe out of the way that goes to the intercooler (the hard pipe section that runs past the side of the engine / airbox. Otherwise it would have been easy! :lol: My wrists were bruised for a good few days.

But yeah not difficult. Undo the circlip (if you're lucky VW will have angled it nicely for you... mine wasn't!) and pull the small rubber section of pipe off. Undo the 3 screws / bolts and simply pull it out. Insert the new one (make sure to put the little rubber seal back around if it drops out of the recess). Fasten back up.

I don't have my Remus exhaust fitted yet and i just have the standard airbox so I'm a pretty good test for any noise changes. I would say, yes slightly, a bit more suck. Especially when first started and it is on the choke (so to speak). Would I say worth the 100 quid... tough one, but I had done the turbo elbow so wanted to do both bits. If I had to choose just one, I'd do the elbow all day instead.

Cheers.
Thanks for reply, I would like to do Racingline Turbo Muffler, elbow and silicon pipe and hopefully their r600 closed induction if they make one that fits!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Getting used to the 'foibles' of DSG again, it's weird to note it doesn't really seem to have progressed since I first had it in 2005.
As others have said, for a given throttle position in 'D', it seems to hold onto 2nd and 3rd for a reasonable amount of revs and then changes into 4th way too early, bogging the engine down.
Coming to a halt smoothly is also the same old jerky pain I remember, a little 'lurch' down around 5-7mph(ish). :(
As it is, I find the match of GTi engine/chassis and DSG at odds with one another, the gearbox just doesn't encourage sporty driving at all and is holding the potential of the car back.
If I had the same car with a manual box, you wouldn't see me for dust and it would be a VASTLY improved car. 8)
For £70 a month more than my 'beats' it will do for a couple of years until I can get an ID3 - but I can't say I'm overly enamoured with it at all.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ If you're not hung up on mpg then you could have the DSG box in S mode all the time, it does make the car a bit more eager to press on than in D, being a gear lower than D at pretty much all times. Give it a try. It will default to D on every ignition cycle, but pull the gearstick back to cycle between D and S modes.

I would prefer a manual, DSG or any auto will never give you what you want all the time and it's crap when you want a drastic change in pace e.g sat in 6th at 40mph and you want to hoof it to 70, you'd go 6 > 3 in a manual rather than dropping through the gears sequentially to 2nd at the top of the rev range then going to 3rd.

It's nigh-on impossible to get a manual VAG with more than 150ps now and the manual box on my Golf R was awful (suspect linkage set-up that no dealer would touch under warranty).

At least the GTI is swift moving from a standstill...the DSG7's full engagement from a standstill in moving off takes an eternity on my A4 190TDI Quattro, unless you use manual mode.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:57 pm I would prefer a manual, DSG or any auto will never give you what you want all the time and it's crap when you want a drastic change in pace e.g sat in 6th at 40mph and you want to hoof it to 70, you'd go 6 > 3 in a manual rather than dropping through the gears sequentially to 2nd at the top of the rev range then going to 3rd.
Had this happen today, wanted to nip past someone and a change down to third would have been perfect.
No, it dropped it into second, revving its boobs off and a helluva racket for a second or so before changing back to third.
Person I was overtaking must have thought I was a right plum.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:30 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:57 pm I would prefer a manual, DSG or any auto will never give you what you want all the time and it's crap when you want a drastic change in pace e.g sat in 6th at 40mph and you want to hoof it to 70, you'd go 6 > 3 in a manual rather than dropping through the gears sequentially to 2nd at the top of the rev range then going to 3rd.
Had this happen today, wanted to nip past someone and a change down to third would have been perfect.
No, it dropped it into second, revving its boobs off and a helluva racket for a second or so before changing back to third.
Person I was overtaking must have thought I was a right plum.
Yes, it's ridiculous, especially as the engine in stock tune has run out of puff at about 5200rpm. Whoever mapped that DSG box wants shooting!
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Ooh, armrest has arrived from Austria.
Will get that fitted tonight.
White (5000K) bulbs were done at weekend, standard height of the beam seems ok(ish) on this car compared with the Beats, which was hopelessly low.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Oh, I managed to key my own car at the weekend....that's a first.
Keys in hand, opened rear driver side door, felt key dig into paint.
Tried Scratch-X and every other product I have, no chance.
It'll need a proper touch up job.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:48 pm Oh, I managed to key my own car at the weekend....that's a first.
Keys in hand, opened rear driver side door, felt key dig into paint.
Tried Scratch-X and every other product I have, no chance.
It'll need a proper touch up job.
Now if it was keyless start ... :P Just teasing mate, I feel your pain.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Booked it in for dark windows from B-pillar back today.
£150 from a place I’ve used for windows and wheels loads of times.
Didn’t even realise it didn’t have already, my beats did.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Armrest fitted, brand new euros180 from an Austrian VW dealer on eBay.
15 mins labour, dead easy.
Delighted.
Attachments
44B83792-983A-476B-9667-4DE0802D56B8.jpeg
44B83792-983A-476B-9667-4DE0802D56B8.jpeg (4.33 MiB) Viewed 2013 times
937C5D51-71AA-4E68-B14D-BBBE22120637.jpeg
937C5D51-71AA-4E68-B14D-BBBE22120637.jpeg (4.18 MiB) Viewed 2013 times
57858C88-43D6-424A-8A98-F4D90E700069.jpeg
57858C88-43D6-424A-8A98-F4D90E700069.jpeg (3.83 MiB) Viewed 2013 times