Tapping/Rattling noise when accelerating

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
mengseav
New
Drives: 6R GTI

Tapping/Rattling noise when accelerating

Post by mengseav »

Hi everyone
I've had this noise that I just can't seem to locate. It is only present when accelerating around low RPMs. The sound is not noticed when idling, though it can be heard very slightly when reving in P. The noise seems to be coming from the chain/belt side but very hard to pin point. Even driving on a hoist is very difficult to hear as there's no load on the wheels. I have scoured all the forums but no one seems to have the same issue or no actual findings for this. Video attached below recorded why driving.

Car is 2013 Polo 6R GTI.

I have checked/changed/tried the following already with no success:
all fuel lines/heatshields/brackets. nothing loose around and no noise on idle makes me believe it isn't any of those.
Have had the clutch and DMF replaced so can't be a dmf rattle.
have replaced the timing chain and tensioner
replaced waterpump
checked wastegate and its fine.
removed and cleaned sump and oil pick up

https://vimeo.com/457967143

Anyone know what it could be ?
TrebleTA
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 GTI (6r)

Re: Tapping/Rattling noise when accelerating

Post by TrebleTA »

The tensioner for the timing belt, or the waterpump. Maybe ya got a faulty bit.
Get someone to make the noise and use a tube like a hose to listen see if you can pin point more.
mengseav
New

Post by mengseav »

TrebleTA wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:59 pm The tensioner for the timing belt, or the waterpump. Maybe ya got a faulty bit.
Get someone to make the noise and use a tube like a hose to listen see if you can pin point more.
Definitely not anything to do with the drive belt as i've tested by replicating the sound without the drive belt on. Seems to be coming from the Oil pump/oil pick up area. Have just replaced the timing chain and tensioner + oil chain pump tensioner. Sound is still there. Next up oil pump itself.. :cry:
mirceaculita
Silver Member
Drives: 6R 1.2TDI 75hp

Post by mirceaculita »

My dad has an old passat and one time an injector broke and every time I would accelerate a tapping like sound started. The higher the revs the faster the sounds were.
IDK if this can happen with the 6R's injectors.
mengseav
New

Post by mengseav »

mirceaculita wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:48 am My dad has an old passat and one time an injector broke and every time I would accelerate a tapping like sound started. The higher the revs the faster the sounds were.
IDK if this can happen with the 6R's injectors.
SO the sound doesn't go away once accelerating faster ? Mines only there at low rpm, so between idle-1100 rpm when at a stand still, or around 2000rpm when moving. no or very low noise otherwise. Have changed everything I can think off now and it's still there.
mirceaculita
Silver Member
Drives: 6R 1.2TDI 75hp

Post by mirceaculita »

mengseav wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:02 am
SO the sound doesn't go away once accelerating faster ? Mines only there at low rpm, so between idle-1100 rpm when at a stand still, or around 2000rpm when moving. no or very low noise otherwise. Have changed everything I can think off now and it's still there.
I think the best route now is for you to record a clip of the car making that sound and linking it here.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6R HL 1.2TSI 77kw, Audi S1 MY2018

Post by Jay-Jay »

It could be the variable valve timing pulley.
mengseav
New

Post by mengseav »

mirceaculita wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:31 am
mengseav wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:02 am
I think the best route now is for you to record a clip of the car making that sound and linking it here.
clip is posted in the main post ^
mengseav
New

Post by mengseav »

Jay-Jay wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:49 am It could be the variable valve timing pulley.
I replaced the VVT along with the timing chain :(. just another expense with no result. Sound definitely seems to be coming from the lower/bottom end of the engine
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Main bearing/ crank shaft bearing
abc12345
New
Drives: 9N3

Post by abc12345 »

@mengseav: did you find your issue? My car has the same noise
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

So this is a twin charged 1.4 TSI right ,

Is the car on a standard tune or has it been mapped ?
What octane fuel are you using?
Could this noise be cylinder detonation ?
doubletap
New
Drives: 6C Polo Highline 2015

Post by doubletap »

Aftetnoon

Im new to the form.

Im from South Africa, drive a 6c Polo 2015 and have the exact rattle/ticking sound while accelerating. I find its more pronounced 2 and 3 gear sometimes still audible in 4th and starts from around 2000 rmp.

The vehicle did present a oil consumption issue and I have subsequently replaced all 4 pistons with OEM pasts, new bearings, oil change ect. The sound disappeared for about a week but I hear it again.

I drove the vehicle with a VW tech and he is of the opinion its the Cam Adjuster due to oil starvation relating to the oil consumption.
But it seems you have already replaced the adjuster and it did not resolve the noise.

Have you been able to identify a cause or even solve the mystery?
Rodney
New
Drives: Bluemotion TSI 2013

Post by Rodney »

I had same issue Polo Bluemotion TSI 2013 model.
1st starting around June 2019, had numerous guys check it out but none knew what it could be. Then a year later I had to replace the auxiliary water pump and it just went away. Now a year later its back
mengseav
New

Post by mengseav »

abc12345 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:23 pm @mengseav: did you find your issue? My car has the same noise
Sorry, digging up an old thread here. Completely forgot about it, The noise is still there.. We left it as it and lived with it for a while. I just tried to fix it this month replacing pretty much everything you can think off as we had a donor car. New tensioner, waterpump, oil pump, spark plugs etc. The engine is freshly rebuilt too so I honestly have no idea where else it can be coming from.

Has anyone else manage to sort this out ?