GTI DSG MPG

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Joe VW
New
Drives: GTI

Re: GTI DSG MPG

Post by Joe VW »

I get 50 odd plus to the gallon on a dual carriage way run without gunning it, cruising at 70 - think the highest I've seen on the display after a journey of any reasonable length was 59.

Stick your foot down and drive like it's stolen and that can easily dip to 18ish though.

Combined, I get 350 miles from a 40 litre fill up (the tank definitely has room for more which seems to go against what the manual states) which is roughly 40mpg and that's doing a 10 minute - 5 mile run to work 3 times a week combined with a couple of 40 odd mile dual carriage way commutes and then a bit of back road thrashing at the weekend every now and then.

Could probably bump that up if you never enjoyed the engine at all and could definitely do worse if you have a lead foot.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Joe VW wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:58 pm I get 50 odd plus to the gallon on a dual carriage way run without gunning it, cruising at 70 - think the highest I've seen on the display after a journey of any reasonable length was 59.

Stick your foot down and drive like it's stolen and that can easily dip to 18ish though.

Combined, I get 350 miles from a 40 litre fill up (the tank definitely has room for more which seems to go against what the manual states) which is roughly 40mpg and that's doing a 10 minute - 5 mile run to work 3 times a week combined with a couple of 40 odd mile dual carriage way commutes and then a bit of back road thrashing at the weekend every now and then.

Could probably bump that up if you never enjoyed the engine at all and could definitely do worse if you have a lead foot.
You're doing considerably better than I've achieved in either GTI+ (GPF and no GPF). Unless I'm doing a 14+ mile journey, I can't quite get to 40mpg, I could nudge 50mpg on a 90 mile journey if I drove religiously at an indicated 70mph. I do have an economic driving mode.

I could do better if I drove like a nun, but there'd be zero enjoyment to that.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I've only done 300 miles, so I expect things will get better.
But I've managed a best of just over 40mpg (that was a driving score of 98 on the blue ECO screen thing).
Worst I've had is.....wait for it......16mpg.... :shock: :D
That was dealing with a VRS driver who needed taught a lesson.
Low to mid-30s seems to be what I'm getting in normal driving, neither taking it easy nor thrashing it.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:13 am I've only done 300 miles, so I expect things will get better.
But I've managed a best of just over 40mpg (that was a driving score of 98 on the blue ECO screen thing).
Low to mid-30s seems to be what I'm getting in normal driving, neither taking it easy nor thrashing it.
Sounds about right. If you regularly drive on long constant speed journeys then the effects of the Budack cycle on low output driving (under 20kW) are very significant.

Fabia VRS? I'd expect a current Octavia VRS to beat the Polo.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:32 am
Andy Beats wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:13 am I've only done 300 miles, so I expect things will get better.
Sounds about right. If you regularly drive on long constant speed journeys then the effects of the Budack cycle on low output driving (under 20kW) are very significant.

I'd expect a Polo GTI to beat an Ovtavia VRS personally.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:05 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:32 am

I'd expect a Polo GTI to beat an Ovtavia VRS personally.
Depends which one it is. The diesel version is same engine as Golf GTD (184ps), and the Octavia weighs a bit less than the Golf. The TSI VRS is 230ps, same as the MK7 Golf GTI PP. I was assuming TSI, forgot about the diesel.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Octavia VRS.
I seem to be remember TSI on the boot, but can't be certain.
There was no huge difference in speed either way.
It was just nice to have the speed to counteract his dickhead/bullyboy driving, whereas I'd have had no choice in the 'beats'.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:30 pm Octavia VRS.
It was just nice to have the speed to counteract his dickhead/bullyboy driving, whereas I'd have had no choice in the 'beats'.
Get it remapped and show them who's boss!

My Golf GTD with DTUK box used to show up a lot of boy racers attempting an undertake, although with the ham-fisted way the DSG box handles a mashing of the throttle (usually 6>5>4>3>2, rev the nuts off 2nd for 1/2 a second then up to 3rd), i'd always favour a manual box going 6>3. My manual GTD was putting out in the region of 240ps and 500Nm with that box on.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

It's fast enough for me, for a car.
My Beats used to eventually get to around 90mph up the closed private road hill I use every night.
The Gti is getting 'substantially more - substantially quicker'
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:06 pm It's fast enough for me, for a car.
My Beats used to eventually get to around 90mph up the closed private road hill I use every night.
The Gti is getting 'substantially more - substantially quicker'
You will see a switch -up at 620 miles/1000km when the ECU unlocks full access to the power the car's capable of. VW also limit output when the engine is cold.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:30 pm Octavia VRS.
That's how you end up crashing. Pull over briefly and let the lunatic get on with their urgent bullying drive and harass someone else.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Simonz wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:51 am That's how you end up crashing. Pull over briefly and let the lunatic get on with their urgent bullying drive and harass someone else.
I don't have that willpower I'm afraid, call it a weakness.
If I was a laid back/let it all happen in front of me driver, I'd have stuck with the slow 1.0 I had. :D
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

Car has been sat for about 2 weeks so decided to take her out today. Up and down the motorway with a few towns in between. Mixed speeds and on the motorway when clear of traffic I did some spirited acceleration. Not racing or hassling anybody. Just getting the revs up. Did that a few times then just took my time the rest of the journey. Managed to get 40.4 MPG (average) over the 50 mile trip. And that was a mix of D, S and manual on the paddles. Can't grumble at that. :)
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Considering the power the GTI has, that's damn impressive.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

With a perfect driving score of 100 on the blue eco meter thing, I can get around 38-40mpg.
I could never get anywhere near that sort of score in the manual beats, I could barely scrape 80.