115ps now 110ps ?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

115ps now 110ps ?

Post by POLO Clive »

Does anybody know why the 115ps (85kw) engine is now only listed as 110ps (81kw), have VW changed the spec for some reason ?
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: 115ps now 110ps ?

Post by Andy Beats »

New emissions regs?
They've had to reduce power to meet them?

EDIT - there are new Euro6 (RDE2) regs out for diesel since August and VW warn that may affect spec on cars ordered now.
So I guess there's a similar one for petrols.
POLO Clive
Silver Member

Post by POLO Clive »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:00 pm New emissions regs?

EDIT - there are new Euro6 (RDE2) regs out for diesel since August and VW warn that may affect spec on cars ordered now.
I don't think it's emissions regulations Andy, the new 110ps is showing as 118-119 g/km on the current configurator, whereas the 115ps is/was only 111 g/km.
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Post by brainbow »

I noticed the EU sites already were showing the 110 version.

Just collected my 115 two weeks ago. Re ran the financials and it looked a few £s more for the same overall spec but considering a less powerful engine that’s a shame.

Interesting if I’ve read this right....the new 110 has 200nm torque from 2000 to 3000 rpm. The old 115 has 200nm torque from 2000 to 3500 rpm.

Their website states it’s half a second slower 0 to 62! Equally it looks like the 95 has lost 0.3 seconds 0 to 62?

I know it’s only half a second but glad I got my 115 now and didn’t wait any longer.

I actually wonder of the 1.5 tsi is going to make an appearance. It has in other countries.

To be fair I think a 1.5 R Line would be a great car without going full GTI.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

POLO Clive wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:53 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:00 pm New emissions regs?

I don't think it's emissions regulations Andy, the new 110ps is showing as 118-119 g/km on the current configurator, whereas the 115ps is/was only 111 g/km.
WLTP emissions for the 1.0 115 ps engine (SEL, manual transmission) was 124g / km. https://www.nextgreencar.com/view-car/6 ... l-6-speed/

So the 110 ps version does represent a reduction in emissions at 118-119 g / km, albeit a very slight reduction.

I dare say the 111 g/km would be the pre-WLTP emissions figure for the 1.0 115 ps engine.
brainbow wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:45 pm I actually wonder of the 1.5 tsi is going to make an appearance. It has in other countries.

To be fair I think a 1.5 R Line would be a great car without going full GTI.
With VW currently not taking orders for the GTI in the UK, I suppose it’s a possibility. The 1.5 engine with 7 speed DSG has been reintroduced in the Seat Ibiza, but not for the UK market.
POLO Clive
Silver Member

Post by POLO Clive »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:50 pm
I dare say the 111 g/km would be the pre-WLTP emissions figure for the 1.0 115 ps engine.
Ahh OK, the I took the 111 g/km figure off my own log book (I have the 115ps engine).
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Don't forget, the Ibiza might have the 1.5 Evo engine, but it doesn't have the 2.0TSI as used in the Ibiza.

The engines are oretty close in emissions and economy - with the 1.5's cylinder deactivation tech only being marginally more economical than than the 2.0's use of the Budack cycle under low loads.

Is there room for 2 similar engines in the same line-up? That's VW's decision.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

Make the most of it while it lasts, the next generation Polo is probably going to be full Hybrid or even EV. 2.0 GTI a distant memory.Petrol only models are going to disappear fast.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Simonz wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:48 am Make the most of it while it lasts, the next generation Polo is probably going to be full Hybrid or even EV. 2.0 GTI a distant memory.Petrol only models are going to disappear fast.
I really hope they don't bother with hybrids, they're largely a complete irrelevance these days.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Simonz wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:48 am Make the most of it while it lasts, the next generation Polo is probably going to be full Hybrid or even EV. 2.0 GTI a distant memory.Petrol only models are going to disappear fast.
Unless they sort out the charging infrastructure, people are going to want to keep their ICE cars as long as possible.

Right now, if you live anywhere without your own driveway/garage, you are relying on charging while out and about. If you put 5m EV cars out there right now with the current charging infrastructure, it won't work.

2030 might seem ages away but in tge last year almost nothing has been done to expand the current charging network.

2030 will arrive and many people will love the fact that they still have their ICE cars and the convenience that comes with filling at the petrol station, unless the government tax fuel even heavier. That probably won't happen. People generally aren't penalised by moving the goalposts - all those with £0/£20 annual VED diesels from 2013-2017 are still paying that.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

With VAG now having a petrol / electric hybrid option (1.4 petrol engine combined with an electric motor) in some of their performance models; Seat mk4 Cupra Leon, Skoda Octavia VRS, and VW having the same petrol-electric hybrid unit in the mk8 Golf GTE, I do wonder if the Polo GTI will get the same treatment when the Polo range gets its mid life facelift.

VW have used the mid life facelift of the Polo before as an opportunity to change the engine line up before - when the previous generation Polo got its mid life facelift;
- GTI got a 1.8 turbo engine (replaced the troublesome 1.4 twin charged engine)
- 1.0 three cylinder petrol engines were introduced to the Polo range
- 1.2 and 1.6 Diesel engines replaced with a 1.4 engine

Maybe the ‘temporary halting’ of Polo GTI production means we won’t see it return until the Polo’s mid-life facelift (probably some time next year), and then perhaps as a hybrid?...........🤔.

The majority of models in VW’s current vehicle fleet has CO2 emission levels that are way above the 2021 EU target of 95g/km, which means significant fines for VW (€95 per gram of CO2 over the 95g fleet target, multiplied by the volume of vehicles sold). Moving to hybrid engines when the opportunity arises won’t enable VW to hit the 95g/km target, but it would lessen the overall cost of emissions based fines they have to pay.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Didn't the 1.6TDI 4-cyl replace the old 1.4 3-cyl TDI?

I've had both engines and the 1.6TDI is definitely current, although it seems to have undergone a drop in power for the sake of emissions.

Our 2015 A1 had that engine and it was great if you drive it far enough to keep the DPF clean.

On my wife's 8 mile commute it was lucky to do 40mpg. On my 20 mile commute I used to drive it hard and still get 65mpg. It had 116ps, doesn't the Polo only have access to a 95ps variant currently?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:24 am Didn't the 1.6TDI 4-cyl replace the old 1.4 3-cyl TDI?

I've had both engines and the 1.6TDI is definitely current, although it seems to have undergone a drop in power for the sake of emissions.

Our 2015 A1 had that engine and it was great if you drive it far enough to keep the DPF clean.

On my wife's 8 mile commute it was lucky to do 40mpg. On my 20 mile commute I used to drive it hard and still get 65mpg. It had 116ps, doesn't the Polo only have access to a 95ps variant currently?
From the Aug 2015 brochure for the face lift version of the previous generation Polo - the 6c;
29E2D1F8-7442-4ADE-9B13-C1E01AD5F0D6.png
29E2D1F8-7442-4ADE-9B13-C1E01AD5F0D6.png (419.15 KiB) Viewed 2528 times
The pre-face lift model - the 6r (2009 - 2014), the diesel options were a 1.2 75ps three cylinder or a 1.6 90ps four cylinder.

Some trim levels of the current Polo did have a 1.6 95ps diesel option; I say ‘did have’ because I see from the latest brochure dated 17/09/2020, the diesel is no longer listed, so it looks as if it’s been dropped from the Polo for the UK market. I’d imagine demand for the diesel engine in the UK was quite low - I think there’s no more than one or two forum members with Diesel engined version of the current model Polo.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:22 am Unless they sort out the charging infrastructure, people are going to want to keep their ICE cars as long as possible.

Right now, if you live anywhere without your own driveway/garage, you are relying on charging while out and about. If you put 5m EV cars out there right now with the current charging infrastructure, it won't work.

There are already more public charging points than petrol pumps in Britain.
Of course if you made everyone change 'now' there would be problems, but given that it's not going to work like that at all it's an irrelevance.
Fact is it's still ignorance and fear, rather than actual practical problems, that is stopping people.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:58 am
There are already more public charging points than petrol pumps in Britain.
That's incorrect. There are now more charging points than Petrol stations as per the survey Nissan did in 2019, but given that a typical petrol station has 12 to 18 filling points, the number of cars that can use a petrol station simultaneously dwarfs the number of EVs that can use a charging point simultaneously.

Also to consider that an ICE car will be at that fuel pump for no more than 5 mins vs 40 mins+ on a rapid charge station (use of rapid charging points will seriously reduce the service capacity of your battery if used frequently enough). It's still a huge issue.

For those handful of early adopters out there on the roads with their EVs right now, how many of them made their choice because they do have off-,street parking to allow charging from home or they do have exclusive use of that small bank of chargers at work because no-one else at work has an EV?

As soon as there's enough EVs out there for those drivers to have some serious competition for charging spots, that's when people will regret having an EV.

Anyone living in a flat right now that doesn't have a spare charging point at their place of work right now won't even consider an EV.

Until the government pulls their finger out and starts having many streetside charging points (maybe fed from the street light network), or rapid charging twch progresses to 15 min charges with enough charging points to rival the number of filling points that the petrol station network has, EV can't work for the masses.

That's all without considering the extra pressure on our grid. As soon as EV use starts putting a significant hole in the government's fuel duty and VAT coffers, electricity will get expensive - that's without considering how the expanded charging infrastructure is going to be paid for.