White symbol flashes in instrument cluster display.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
pgwill
New
Drives: SE 1.0 TSI 95PS 2019

White symbol flashes in instrument cluster display.

Post by pgwill »

My 1yr old Polo had its 1st service a month ago. The garage assures me there were no software updates.

Since then, while driving on 3 occasions, the central display showing mileage, speed, outside temperature etc. has been momentarily replaced by what can be roughly described as a white thick-lined diamond geometric shape. I can't describe it better than that because the instinct is to brake, whereupon it disappears. It is accompanied by a beep. No other warning symbol appears. I can't find anything like it online. My garage don't know.

Any suggestions gratefully received
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: White symbol flashes in instrument cluster display.

Post by Andy Beats »

Hmm.
There are sources online where you can see every feasible symbol that should appear, and nothing like you describe is showing. :?
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

pgwill wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:02 pm My 1yr old Polo had its 1st service a month ago. The garage assures me there were no software updates.

Since then, while driving on 3 occasions, the central display showing mileage, speed, outside temperature etc. has been momentarily replaced by what can be roughly described as a white thick-lined diamond geometric shape. I can't describe it better than that because the instinct is to brake, whereupon it disappears. It is accompanied by a beep. No other warning symbol appears. I can't find anything like it online. My garage don't know.

Any suggestions gratefully received
Are you describing a shape briefly appearing in the main display where speed / time / distance is given? This might be the forward collision warning system flashing up it gives a sharp single tone beep noise and a symbol if the front radar suspects a collision is imminent (situated behind the VW badge on the grille).
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@pgwill; is the symbol you’ve described in the owners manual?

My initial thought was the same as @Simonz and the symbol might be associated with the front assist systems. When the symbol was displayed, did the conditions exist whereby the car would have applied the brakes if you’d not intervened and braked first?
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

Definitely sounds like the front assist/collision warning symbol and beep . . . . .

front assist warning symbol.png
front assist warning symbol.png (16.22 KiB) Viewed 3049 times
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Oh god, that bloody nightmare of a system - the described shape didn't make me think of that.
I've yet to have that pop up on the Gti, it used to get triggered quite easy in the beats.
Both were/are set to medium.
It's either less pernickity in the Gti, or I've learned how to drive to avoid it triggering.
Weird that the OP has had the car a year and it's only triggered recently though - is the VW badge at the front dirty (the radar is behind that) :?:
Noonoo632
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 polo sel 115ps

Post by Noonoo632 »

That is exactly what you are getting, has happened to me twice first time when the person in front of me doing 70 suddenly and with no warning turned left into side road at speed and radar on front of my car picked it up instantly and applied brakes milli- second before me. Gave me a real fright 1st time it happened but now I am aware of it I'm prepared for it. Also just for information had a loan Ibiza about two to three years ago and the radar sensor in the lower bumper got covered in snow and I got an orange warning on dash, so as we are coming into winter may be something to look out for on the Polo!!
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Noonoo632 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:27 pm Also just for information had a loan Ibiza about two to three years ago and the radar sensor in the lower bumper got covered in snow and I got an orange warning on dash, so as we are coming into winter may be something to look out for on the Polo!!
Only a light snow shower will have 'vision impaired' (or something very similar to that) appearing on the screen and deactivating the function on the Polo.
I've had this numerous times up here.
TBH I would pay a handsome sum and more insurance to have the system permanently disengaged, I really do not like it at all.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Worth pointing out that in cars with the digital dash it's red (in case anyone comes looking in the future).

I've had a handful of false alerts on my Ibiza and on the Fabia I had before. Also had one time in the Fabia where it definitely prevented an accident when someone pulled out in front of me without warning (or looking, clearly), and the car was braking before I was, and I came very close to hitting the other car.

The other massive benefit from the system is that you can have ACC which is absolutely awesome.
pgwill
New
Drives: SE 1.0 TSI 95PS 2019

Post by pgwill »

Thanks to all who have replied to my question. The symbol posted by POLO Clive is indeed the one in question. As I said, I had been unable to find it online, and it is not in the handbook. I've just looked again, now that I know its purpose, and still can't find it.
It has only been triggered (with no other cars anywhere near) since the car was serviced, so I will go back to the garage and get them to look at it. At least I can tell them what the symbol is, which they didn't appear to know
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

pgwill wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:44 am Thanks to all who have replied to my question. The symbol posted by POLO Clive is indeed the one in question. As I said, I had been unable to find it online, and it is not in the handbook. I've just looked again, now that I know its purpose, and still can't find it.
It has only been triggered (with no other cars anywhere near) since the car was serviced, so I will go back to the garage and get them to look at it. At least I can tell them what the symbol is, which they didn't appear to know
Quite often, you’ll find there’s a knowledgeable forum member who’ll know the answer when the dealer doesn’t! 😃

I’ve just found the symbol in the owner’s manual - it’s not that obvious, so I’m not surprised you didn’t find it. In my version of the manual (edition 11.2019) it’s at the bottom of page 14 and in red (Driver information - symbols in the instrument cluster) and again on page 135, in red (Front Assist - advance warning).
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

pgwill wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:44 am Thanks to all who have replied to my question. The symbol posted by POLO Clive is indeed the one in question. As I said, I had been unable to find it online, and it is not in the handbook. I've just looked again, now that I know its purpose, and still can't find it.
There's honestly umpteen things will set it off.
On my old route to work, it consistently thought I was going to drive into a wall one one corner.
On my new journey home, it thinks I'm not going to brake down a slip road.
I either switch it off and suffer the orange warning light, or just lightly press the brake pedal to show it I am awake, I can see, I'm not attempting suicide and I'm not stupid..... :roll: