Front brake pads and discs life

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Front brake pads and discs life

Post by Simonz »

Hi

Just come up to 31k and wondering how much left on the front pads and discs, only managed to peek through wheels but felt a distinct ridge worn on edge of disc. There appears to be maybe 4-5mm left on pads but hard to tell without a proper look. I've heard they can go near 40-50k before wearing out, of course all depends on driving style. Might get them to last until next March when it's service time again and MOT. I know if main dealer involved they will sting me for new discs and pads. Tyres unlikely to last that long though especially with winter coming :roll: ...
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Front brake pads and discs life

Post by Andy Beats »

As you say, entirely dependant on driving style but I'd easily have gone through a set of pads and tyres by 31000 miles - easily.
Discs....hmmm...I'd be pretty hacked off if I needed discs by that mileage. but it's not unheard of.
Two words that worry me in your post though - main dealer.... :shock:
Don't pay MD prices for the parts and no need for them to fit.
Without even looking I bet I could get top quality front discs and pads for an AW Polo for £90 in total, then an hour to 90 minutes for a garage to fit.
Total bill = £180
I bet a main dealer would want close to double that, for no good reason other than massive profit margins.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

VW currently charge £319 to replace the front discs and pads. Pads only; front £169, rear £139;

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/pricing
Simonz
Bronze Member

Post by Simonz »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:42 pm As you say, entirely dependant on driving style but I'd easily have gone through a set of pads and tyres by 31000 miles - easily.
Discs....hmmm...I'd be pretty hacked off if I needed discs by that mileage. but it's not unheard of.
Two words that worry me in your post though - main dealer.... :shock:
Don't pay MD prices for the parts and no need for them to fit.
Without even looking I bet I could get top quality front discs and pads for an AW Polo for £90 in total, then an hour to 90 minutes for a garage to fit.
Total bill = £180
I bet a main dealer would want close to double that, for no good reason other than massive profit margins.
Cheers, I’ve no intention of going to MD that’s a recipe for a few hundred pounds up in smoke! I could DIY it at a push but no tools or garage any more so not ideal. A decent Indy garage likely next stop, definitely not Kwik Fit etc.
Simonz
Bronze Member

Post by Simonz »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:58 pm VW currently charge £319 to replace the front discs and pads. Pads only; front £169, rear £139;

Thanks, as expected big £.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:58 pm VW currently charge £319 to replace the front discs and pads. Pads only; front £169, rear £139;

Not at all unexpected, but good grief.
It's another revenue stream that will diminish for them with electric cars, pads and discs can last a lot longer with those.
They really must be cacking themselves about the future.