What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by Dark_cze »

had a litte trip with two friends :) :) :)

(chiped 1.5 Focus, Focus ST and my GTI)
Attachments
stline_st_gti.jpg
stline_st_gti.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 3200 times
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

That middle thing is nice.
I'd never have a Ford again after a disastrous Fiesta 2009-2012, but it's still nice.
fletch555
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by fletch555 »

Looks great. Do you have a link to where you bought it from? (the armrest)
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Ebay link to armrest below.
It was a complete item, all parts and fittings included.
You actually end up with 2 x surplus nuts, as you use two that are already in the car.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333225868887
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:40 am That middle thing is nice.
I'd never have a Ford again after a disastrous Fiesta 2009-2012, but it's still nice.
That was ST ... damn that thing was fast and sound amazing :D
PhilArnold
Bronze Member
Drives: White AW Gti+

Post by PhilArnold »

Dark_cze wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:11 pm had a litte trip with two friends :) :) :)

Performance wise how did it compare to the polo? I was seriously considering one before I went with mine
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

PhilArnold wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:33 am
Dark_cze wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:11 pm had a litte trip with two friends :) :) :)

Performance wise how did it compare to the polo? I was seriously considering one before I went with mine
All cars had manual transmisio. That ST line with chip was almost on par with my GTI and ST was really quick. Like I could follow him for while but no way to caught him. Might be problem with gearing in manual GTI (it is not same as DSG version) :) but sound was really awesome on ST :)
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

In for window tints today.
Also discovered that driving around on ECO mode is nice.
Gentle throttle has it changing up very early, not good.
But a bit more throttle has it riding the torque and changing gears at good points, it just seems to be less 'frantic' and less confused compared with other modes.
Scotty_boy vw
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C 1ltr TSI/2018 1ltr TSI AW

Post by Scotty_boy vw »

Changed my alloys today these Bonneville are awesome!!!

Old ones will be up for sale in excellent condition if anyone is looking for wheels.

Scott
Attachments
9B1D92A2-21E0-43AA-BA14-3642729E5EB6.jpeg
9B1D92A2-21E0-43AA-BA14-3642729E5EB6.jpeg (4.44 MiB) Viewed 2587 times
3E11E5CA-144E-4B93-B761-840852C577A0.jpeg
3E11E5CA-144E-4B93-B761-840852C577A0.jpeg (107.82 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Wheels make or break a car and that's a great example.
Transformed from fuddy-duddy to modern and sporty.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Scotty_boy vw wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:31 pm Changed my alloys today these Bonneville are awesome!!!

Old ones will be up for sale in excellent condition if anyone is looking for wheels.

Scott
Wheels look good but being diamond cut, be sure to get plenty of protection on them if you’re planning on keeping them on your car during the winter months. Durability-wise, the diamond cut finish isn’t as good as a painted / powder coated finish, especially during the British winter months.

If you’ve got space to store a second set of wheels, I’d be using the original wheels as a winter set and changing over to the new set in the springtime.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:02 am
Wheels look good but being diamond cut, be sure to get plenty of protection on them if you’re planning on keeping them on your car during the winter months. Durability-wise, the diamond cut finish isn’t as good as a painted / powder coated finish, especially during the British winter months.

If you’ve got space to store a second set of wheels, I’d be using the original wheels as a winter set and changing over to the new set in the springtime.
The wife and I have been running diamond cut wheels for years through Scottish winters, I refuse to change wheels (even though I do change tyres).
We've not had a problem with diamond cut wheels.
I tend to feel all precious about them when they're new, sealing them with poorboys' wheel sealant, but that preciousness goes out the window quickly and from that point on they're just washed once a week or so by hand or, more often in winter, an automatic car wash.
The sealant's effectiveness will have long gone.
Perhaps manufacturers have improved their techniques latterly?
I've been on this forum for a couple of years now and not seen anyone mention a warranty claim for DC wheels, that is quite telling in a positive way. :)
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

It’s not unusual for VAG diamond cut alloys to succumb to unsightly white worm corrosion in year three - a number of owners on golfgtiforum.co.uk and seatcupra.net have experienced this - myself included. Maybe manufacturers have improved their techniques so poor durability may no longer be an issue, but I have my doubts.

IMO the potential poor(er) durability of diamond cut alloys compared to painted / powder coated alloys stems from the application of the protective lacquer clear coat directly onto the diamond cut / polished surface, which isn’t the best surface to provide a good ‘key’ for the clear coat to adhere to. Also, the coverage of clear coat on the ‘sharp’ edges of spokes may be thinner than on the face of the wheel (the edges of spokes seems to be a common area for the start of white worm corrosion). A stone chip or two in the clear coat will allow water and salt spray to get between the clear coat and the alloy face of the wheel. If this happens, you have the onset of white worm corrosion that can only really be successfully removed by having a full wheel refurb (a good quality refurb of a diamond cut wheel usually costs upwards of £80+ VAT).

Two of the diamond cut alloys on my mk6 Golf succumbed to white worm when they were 30 months old. This was on a low mileage car that wasn’t used heavily during winter road conditions. The wheels had been cleaned every 7-10 days and regularly sealed and waxed every 3 - 4 months. Wheels were inspected after every clean for stone chip damage and if any was found, it was repaired with a clear lacquer touch up pen. In spite of this fairly meticulous wheel care regime, white worm still happened. Fortunately, those two wheels were replaced by VW under warranty. Whether VW would replace white wormed alloys under warranty now, I don’t know as they seem to take a much harder line to warranty claims these days.

Aside from the issue of potential white worm corrosion on diamond cut alloys;
  • they can usually only be refurbished a maximum of two times because the refurb process involves cutting a thin layer of metal from the face of the wheel on a diamond cutting lathe. More than two refurbs, and there’s a risk that too much metal will have been removed, so the structural integrity of the wheel could be compromised.
  • the cost of refurbishing diamond cut alloys is more than alloys with a painted / powder coated finish.
  • they are easily damaged by poorly maintained tyre changing equipment and inexperienced tyre fitters.
I can fully appreciate the appeal of diamond cut alloys as they do look good. However, given the choice, I’d always go for wheels with a more durable painted / powder coated finish. It’s good we don’t all like the same things though, otherwise life would be boring 🙂.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

My go-to wheel guy offers a 'lookalike' diamond cut wheel option.
He has vinyl that looks like a diamond cut finish, which he then cuts to the shape required, sticks it onto the wheel and lacquers over.
It sounds like it would be naff, but it's indistinguishable to me and avoids the issues that can happen with DC.
Scotty_boy vw
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C 1ltr TSI/2018 1ltr TSI AW

Post by Scotty_boy vw »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:43 am Wheels make or break a car and that's a great example.
Transformed from fuddy-duddy to modern and sporty.
Thanks Andy