Looking to buy a GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
csrajput1
New
Drives: GTI

Looking to buy a GTI

Post by csrajput1 »

Hi all,

New to the forum and looking to potentially purchase a Polo GTI and would really appreciate some advice on what to look for.

So i've got a S4 B8.5 (DSG) which is the main family car and we are planning to replace the other car (Pug 206). The Polo GTI would be a secondary car and would cover less then 5K miles a year and I think the size would be fine as there would be a maximum of 2 people in the car at any given time.

Spec i'm looking at:
Budget: 10-11K
5 Door
Manual/DSG - leaning towards having a manual as already have an automatic but open to either.
The Mrs has stated it has to be Blue or Grey (i haven't seen any Grey one's listed for sale - assuming it wasn't an option). I may try to persuade her to think about Silver.
Mileage under 50k

In terms of my search, are there any specifics I should look out for? e.g. with my S4 I know certain years had issues with the DSG, is this similar on the Polo GTI?

I would also be looking to modify it at a later date, potentially going stage 2. Has anyone gone stage 2 with the stock clutch (manual) and does it hold up well? Any considerations for Stage 2 on the DSG I should think about.

Any other general advice also welcome.

Thanks in advance for any support and advice.

Cheers,
Chets
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Re: Looking to buy a GTI

Post by Bepis »

Welcome to the forum :)

Made a similar post myself, might be worth a read as the helpful members here answered most of my questions.
https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php? ... lit=buying

Black and white seem to be the most common colours but I personally think Blue Silk is the better-looking colour of the options.

Hope that helps :)
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

1.8 engine and up
csrajput1
New

Post by csrajput1 »

Thanks, very useful
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Post by Gee40 »

Colour is such a personal thing but have to agree that the Silk Blue does look really good. When we bought my wife's 6c 5 door manual, we went for Flash Red which was a cost option. We did seriously consider the Silk Blue but I was a little put off as nearly all Polo GT's seem to be Silk Blue. Having paid the extra for both the car and insurance, I didn't want people to assume it was a GT (absolutely no offence to the GT Boys and Girls as its a great car). Lots of people stress the importance of having the sport package that at the press of a button further firms up the damping and pipes artifial engine noise into the cabin but again we decided against it as the ride is extremely firm, bordering on harsh even without it, but again its a personal choice. If you are going to modify - even to stage 1, I'd avoid the DSG as VW detuned the 1.8 for the DSG as the gearbox has trouble coping with the 237 lbs/ft of the standard map. There are reports of some failures with the manual clutch, but so far my wifes car has had no issues over 26k miles. If you do modify the manual and have issues, there are a couple of good uprated clutch options, something the DSG doesn't have as afr as I'm aware.

Good Look
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I recently part exchanged my 2016 6c Polo GTI 5 Blue Silk door for a new Pure White Polo GTI+.

My GTI was a manual and in four and a half years of ownership it was utterly reliable and only ever went back to the dealership for servicing and MOT’s. I really enjoyed owning it and although I really like my new car, I do miss my old GTI.

I chose Blue Silk as the colour for my GTI - partly by process of elimination of the other available (somewhat limited) colour options, plus I hadn’t had a blue car since 1980! I also think that the contrast of the GTI’s red accents work well with Blue Silk.

My car had the following options; Sports Performance Pack, Auto Climate Control, Parking Sensors, Reversing Camera, Elec Folding Mirrors, Auto dimming rear view mirror, Serron Alloy Wheels. With hindsight, If I was ordering it now, I probably wouldn’t have had the Sports Performance Pack, as the suspension in Sport mode is too firm for everyday use IMO, although I found the normal setting perfectly acceptable (my GTI+‘s suspension is less firm / more compliant, even on 18” wheels). The Sports Performance Pack was a relatively cheap option though (from memory it cost around £240-£250), so even though I didn’t use it much it didn’t cost a fortune. Other than that, I would’ve spec’d it the same.

I traded it in against my current car. It didn’t sit on the dealer’s forecourt for long - they’d sold it in just over two weeks.

@csrajput1; you’re correct on the colour - grey wasn’t an option on the GTI; colour choices were red, white, black, silver and blue.

One thing to bear in mind is the App Connect was not standard on the 6c Polo, so not all GTI’s will have it. It was a £100 factory option of spec’d by the first owner. It was possible to get it retro-activated on some cars at a cost of around £250 but be aware that on some of the infotainment units in the earlier 6c GTI’s I don’t think it can be retro-activated. There’s a long discussion thread on the subject - link below;

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php? ... 7691&hilit
csrajput1
New

Post by csrajput1 »

Thanks guys for the replies, highly appreciated.