Filler under rear Seats?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
acer2332
New
Drives: 2012 1.4L Polo Match

Filler under rear Seats?

Post by acer2332 »

Hi everyone, new here... just bought a 2012 1.4 3dr polo

Have a question about this as I was deep cleaning the inside of it for the first time and noticed filler under the seats at the back... was wondering if this is any cause for concern and if this has been seen before? I think I'm just overthinking it as I'm always worried when I buy a car from a private seller!

Thanks for any help
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Filler under rear Seats?

Post by iichel »

Shouldn't be there from factory but it's unclear why it's there.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Thats not filler, its seam sealer. It goes over welnds and joints to protect them from rust
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Seam sealer is applied over seams and welds in the car’s body shell on the factory production line after the body has been through a series of dipping tanks to clean and protect the body against corrosion. The seam sealer is then applied before the body shell gets painted so the sealer is the same colour as the car.

Although it does look like a seam sealer product in the pictures posted by @acer2332, IMO it doesn’t look like the factory application, which is normally applied in a uniform, thin bead along the body shell seams and because it’s applied in the factory before the car’s painted, it should be the same colour as the surrounding metalwork.

I no longer own my 6c Polo so can’t check that area under the rear seat cushion to compare to @acer2332’s pictures. Perhaps some forum members with 6r / 6c Polos could take some pictures of those areas on their cars and post them in this discussion thread to confirm to the OP one way or another whether or not it’s factory seam sealer.
heftyshooly
New
Drives: Polo 6C 1.4 TDI BMT

Post by heftyshooly »

I have the same sealer on my Polo. I looks exactly as on those pictures.
They also applied the same material in the trunk area.
acer2332
New
Drives: 2012 1.4L Polo Match

Post by acer2332 »

Hey guys! Thanks for all these replies. I actually mentioned it to my local VW dealership as the previous owner paid for a service for me and they said this is their standard factory procedure for this particular bit of seam sealer - all the other seals are painted except this one for some strange reason