1.2 TDI fuel consumption.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
mirceaculita
Silver Member
Drives: 6R 1.2TDI 75hp

1.2 TDI fuel consumption.

Post by mirceaculita »

What real world fuel consumption is expected from the 1.2 TDI engine? While I'm not driving it "like a grandma" I'm also not a maniac.
When I'm driving casually(80% of the time) I shift between 2500 and 3000 rpm. From time to time I go over 3000rpm but that's a rare occurrence.
When I'm driving hard I shift between 3500 and 4000rpm.

In 1000km i probably do 800km extra urban and only 200 in town.

I don't know if a fuel consumption of 6L/100KM or around 40mpg is normal. What do you think? What fuel consumption do you get?
Even If I start driving really carefully I don't see this going under 5L/100km. I'm not even dreaming the 4-4.5L/100km I see online.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: 1.2 TDI fuel consumption.

Post by iichel »

6L per 100km is quite high. I'd expect it to be 4,5-5
SimonPoole
Getting There!

Post by SimonPoole »

My son's car has been doing around 57mpg since we got it in May. Calculated from mileage and volume for diesel required to fill the tank.

I've just had the Dieselgate fix roll back done and the car is much better to drive, but I am waiting to see what effect it has on the fuel consumption, from what I've read, it should make it even better on fuel.
mirceaculita
Silver Member

Post by mirceaculita »

SimonPoole wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:32 pm My son's car has been doing around 57mpg since we got it in May. Calculated from mileage and volume for diesel required to fill the tank.

I've just had the Dieselgate fix roll back done and the car is much better to drive, but I am waiting to see what effect it has on the fuel consumption, from what I've read, it should make it even better on fuel.
Is reverting DieselGate a thing? Can you say what are the advantages?
mirceaculita
Silver Member

Post by mirceaculita »

iichel wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:34 pm 6L per 100km is quite high. I'd expect it to be 4,5-5
Do you know what could possibly be the cause of this high fuel consumption?
SimonPoole
Getting There!

Post by SimonPoole »

mirceaculita wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:02 pm
SimonPoole wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:32 pm My son's car has been doing around 57mpg since we got it in May. Calculated from mileage and volume for diesel required to fill the tank.

Is reverting DieselGate a thing? Can you say what are the advantages?
So far, we have noticed that it seems to have more torque at the bottom end. Pulling out of junctions into traffic is now less dangerous as the car doesn't bog down if the revs are too low. It also pulls up hills better too.
We've only driven it a few times since the "fix" was removed, but so far it definitely feels like a big improvement and definitely worth doing.
Hopefully, long term it will improve fuel consumption and cause less stress on the EGR valve and slow the filling of the DPF.
mirceaculita
Silver Member

Post by mirceaculita »

SimonPoole wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:10 pm
So far, we have noticed that it seems to have more torque at the bottom end. Pulling out of junctions into traffic is now less dangerous as the car doesn't bog down if the revs are too low. It also pulls up hills better too.
We've only driven it a few times since the "fix" was removed, but so far it definitely feels like a big improvement and definitely worth doing.
Hopefully, long term it will improve fuel consumption and cause less stress on the EGR valve and slow the filling of the DPF.
how is it done? is it like a re-soft of the ecu?
SimonPoole
Getting There!

Post by SimonPoole »

I took the car to a local tuning company and they rolled the software version back to one pre-fix.
I think that the earlier version is stored in the car's ECU, but I am not certain of that.
mirceaculita
Silver Member

Post by mirceaculita »

SimonPoole wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:12 pm I took the car to a local tuning company and they rolled the software version back to one pre-fix.
I think that the earlier version is stored in the car's ECU, but I am not certain of that.
This is actually an interesting idea I've never thought about. If it can pass the emissions test, it might be a viable alternative to the remap I was planning to do. The lack of power at the lower end bugs me a little and I've heard a remap of the ECU to around 95hp would help a bit.