GTi+ Fogging

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: GTi+ Fogging

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:15 pm I would have thought a car sitting on the drive, would incur more dampness than a car being driven up a motorway everyday with the air con working, or a car averaging 10,000 miles per year?
As for 5,000 miles per year, totally wrong, I've just had it in for its third service (3 years) and just cracked 8180 miles, your smart, you work out my annual mileage?
Was offered £17,000 against a new T-Cross with the 1500 cc engine, not sure if I want to go down the EU route for a new car, though I've never had any problems with my Polo, it's given me no problems to date, I might try a Jap motor?
A whopping 2700 miles per year. :shock: :D
My point stands, you're probably very similar in usage to my mother who never has to even look at her car until at least mid-morning, and hardly ever at night.
These are the times misting happens most.
Rather than debate what car you get next, you should be debating whether you need a car at all.....
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Give your mother my condolences, must be terrible having a son that know's it all !!

And if this comment infringes the site rules, not really bothered !!
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:45 pm Give your mother my condolences, must be terrible having a son that know's it all !!

*knows*
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:09 pm
silverhairs wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:45 pm Give your mother my condolences, must be terrible having a son that know's it all !!

*knows*
😂🤣. That old apostrophe problem!

Moving back onto the subject of condensation on the inside of car windows - I noticed the Audi Q2 opposite my house was suffering from a fogged up windscreen this morning. The budget Dacia that one of the neighbours has invested in wasn’t suffering at all - all windows were completely clear.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

@SRGTD that’ll be because the insulation on the Dacia is so poor there’s no hot air inside to fog it up :lol:

I’ve had this problem with every car I’ve had from Ford to Volvo, BMW to VW and I use my climate control/aircon throughout winter. As long as the air in the car is warmer than the air outside you’ll get fogging as the warm air hits the glass. Only seems to be an issue for me when the temperature is between 8 and 12 degrees. Outside that range I don’t seem to get any fogging.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:29 am @SRGTD that’ll be because the insulation on the Dacia is so poor there’s no hot air inside to fog it up :lol:

I’ve had this problem with every car I’ve had from Ford to Volvo, BMW to VW and I use my climate control/aircon throughout winter. As long as the air in the car is warmer than the air outside you’ll get fogging as the warm air hits the glass. Only seems to be an issue for me when the temperature is between 8 and 12 degrees. Outside that range I don’t seem to get any fogging.
I agree the fogging happens in many cars.
It's the sheer uselessness of the ventilation system to clear it in the Polo that's the issue.
Daughter was moaning about it this morning in her 'united'
Me and her mum both driving away as she's sitting their waiting for a 10p piece size of clear screen to grow.
I'm wondering if there's something 'peculiar' about the aircon that when first started it's actually dumping more moisture into the car...
I'll try experimenting without the aircon from a cold start.
It would be weird when aircon assists misting in every other car and it also assists misting when the Polo is warmed up and running, but you never know....
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I do agree with you here Andy. My polo was terrible but all my other VWs were much better at demisting. Had the same issue with other cars from the same size category as the polo. Must just all be badly designed.