Data transfer setting and message

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ChrisRolles
New
Drives: 1.0 Match

Data transfer setting and message

Post by ChrisRolles »

We bought a new Polo 1.0 Match about 3 months ago. I’m probably being a bit thick about it and apologies if this question’s been asked before. Every time we switch the ignition on and start the car the infotainment system displays a warning message about the data transfer setting to which we have to respond by pressing ‘ok’. It’s a pain to have to do that every time. It used to say we’d got it set to ‘maximum privacy’ and I thought we could fix the problem by registering on the VW We Connect app and setting it to ‘shared’. But now we get a message telling us it’s set to shared and we have to ok that one as well! Does anyone know how to get around that? All I want to do is start the car, have it log us in as the Primary User with data transfer set to shared (which it does now), and then show the clock on that screen, with no messages that we need to respond to. Any ideas? Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Chris
Iamnotbarry
New
Drives: GTi+ (aw)

Re: Data transfer setting and message

Post by Iamnotbarry »

hi Chris,
do you have your phone plugged in by any chance? I'm sure I only get that message when my phone is connected. will try tomorrow though to double check.
ChrisRolles
New

Post by ChrisRolles »

Hi, thanks, we did set it up so that it connects to our phones but generally they’re not plugged in. I think it connects to one of them automatically if it’s in the car. Maybe it’s related to that and we should try it after deleting the phones altogether?
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Just a thought, did your Polo come with factory fitted SOS system? If memory serves me this uses a data SIMM as well.
ChrisRolles
New

Post by ChrisRolles »

I’m not sure! I’ll have a look and see if I can work out how to tell.
ChrisRolles
New

Post by ChrisRolles »

It was shipped with the SOS facility. I deleted the only phone which it knew about and the message still appears as soon as you switch the ignition on. I know these new cars have a SIM and the message relates to how much data you allow VW access to via it. The thing I don’t understand is VW would make you respond to such a warning / information message every time you switch the ignition on whether you allow all data access or no access at all. That just seems totally unnecessary to me.

Another problem I’ve got now is that the amber workshop warning light has come on twice in the last week or so. It doesn’t come on every journey and seems to reset itself between journeys. But it seems likely to be a sensor fault given that none of the fluid levels or other obvious things you can check are low or not working. I’ve rung the dealer about it 2 days running. Yesterday they didn’t return a voicemail message and today they weren’t even answering their exchange line. No idea how they got to be a franchised VW dealer.

I was already grumpy with the dealer because they never told us anything about the car having a SIM, or data transfer/privacy rules, or anything at all about the infotainment system and all its facilities when we bought the car new from them. Just gave us the keys and sent us on our way.
ChrisRolles
New

Post by ChrisRolles »

Apparently the amber warning is just telling us that the emergency SOS phone isn’t working for some reason. The VW Assist technician on the phone sounded like he’d had quite a few of them and said something about a possible software upgrade. The message about the data transfer setting every time we start the car’s still a mystery.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

ChrisRolles wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:10 am Apparently the amber warning is just telling us that the emergency SOS phone isn’t working for some reason. The VW Assist technician on the phone sounded like he’d had quite a few of them and said something about a possible software upgrade. The message about the data transfer setting every time we start the car’s still a mystery.
The emergency SOS problem (or a similar problem) also affects other VAG brands;

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/ ... ing-system

Some owners of the mk8 Golf and the mk4 Seat Leon have had the SOS control module replaced - I don’t know if that has fixed the problem or if the problem is software-related. In any event, I think it’d be worth contacting your dealer to see if there is a fix for the Polo. You could also ask your dealer at the same time about the data transfer message and settings - hopefully it’s something simple to sort - maybe as simple as changing one of the car’s setting that’s ‘buried’ somewhere in one of the menus or sub menus accessed via the infotainment screen.

I’m glad my 2020 model Polo doesn’t have the latest tech. I’m not a technophobe but from what I’ve read on other forums, setting it up and getting it working can be a challenge for some owners. Also currently, the software in the mk8 Golf and it’s VAG ‘siblings’ isn’t without its problems - VW are apparently working on major software update for the mk8 Golf that’s due to be released sometime during Q4 2021 to fix many of the current software gremlins affecting owners cars.
ChrisRolles
New

Post by ChrisRolles »

Many thanks for that. Very interesting. Yes, we will be headed for the dealer with it under the warranty and we’ll see what they say. I will ask them about the strange message at the same time. Hopefully as you say it’s some buried setting!
beetle274
New
Drives: 2021 R Line

Post by beetle274 »

I recently took delivery of my R Line and quickly noticed the 'very annoying' message regarding Data setting....tried all ways to remove it but eventually resorted to contacting my dealer. To cut a long story short I was told I would have to buy some data to be able to adjust settings and remove message!!!....you can imagine my response!
I contacted VW GB to clarify the matter and they basically side-stepped the question advising me to contact a different dealer if I wasn't happy!
So it looks like we are to be held to ransom until we give in and spend some more money.......unless someone out there knows differently!!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

ChrisRolles wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:52 pm It was shipped with the SOS facility. I deleted the only phone which it knew about and the message still appears as soon as you switch the ignition on. I know these new cars have a SIM and the message relates to how much data you allow VW access to via it. The thing I don’t understand is VW would make you respond to such a warning / information message every time you switch the ignition on whether you allow all data access or no access at all. That just seems totally unnecessary to me.

Another problem I’ve got now is that the amber workshop warning light has come on twice in the last week or so. It doesn’t come on every journey and seems to reset itself between journeys. But it seems likely to be a sensor fault given that none of the fluid levels or other obvious things you can check are low or not working. I’ve rung the dealer about it 2 days running. Yesterday they didn’t return a voicemail message and today they weren’t even answering their exchange line. No idea how they got to be a franchised VW dealer.

I was already grumpy with the dealer because they never told us anything about the car having a SIM, or data transfer/privacy rules, or anything at all about the infotainment system and all its facilities when we bought the car new from them. Just gave us the keys and sent us on our way.
Funny you should mention the Amber warning light coming on, I've just gone past my three years and went out the other day and the bloody light came on and above told me to put it in "P" and take too the workshop. I took it to a VW guy who did a reading on it and nothing really showed it's head, he said he had cleared the memory, or something like that, but if it comes in again to take it back for a deeper look, He didn't charge me anything for the first looking at. It's not come on since !! Luckily for me, I've got a 200 mile journey up the A1 at the end of the month, and I don't want it playing up on the A1 and that's for sure.