Transmission noise

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Wicky58woo
New
Drives: Polo 95tsi Active

Transmission noise

Post by Wicky58woo »

I have a 95Tsi Polo Active

On gradually releasing the clutch to the biting point when the car's cold I hear a rhythmic knocking noise. The frequency doesn't change with engine revs and disappears when driving off. It is apparent in 1st, 2nd and reverse gears even when stationary and held on the brakes. Nothing with the car in neutral. I haven't bothered with 3rd, 4th and 5th and standstill.
The car's done 3000 odd miles, bought new in October 21.
There are mutterings from VW that it's a characteristic of this model but since nobody else seems to have reported it to the dealership I'm not convinced. I'm guessing that the engine/clutch/gearbox for the Active variant is the same as any other Polo of that type with a 998cc 95Tsi engine and 5 speed manual gearbox.

I've taken video (over 8Mb and will reduce size to add later if it's thought useful).

Many thanks for any thoughts.
Wicky58woo
New
Drives: Polo 95tsi Active

Re: Transmission noise

Post by Wicky58woo »

Video showing noise at standstill

https://youtu.be/1FDUZT3bpVc
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

That sound during idle reminds of one of the race pods in Star Wars :P
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

This ^^. Hard to tell what the noise is....
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

Wicky58woo wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:10 pm I have a 95Tsi Polo Active

On gradually releasing the clutch to the biting point when the car's cold I hear a rhythmic knocking noise. The frequency doesn't change with engine revs and disappears when driving off. It is apparent in 1st, 2nd and reverse gears even when stationary and held on the brakes. Nothing with the car in neutral. I haven't bothered with 3rd, 4th and 5th and standstill.
The car's done 3000 odd miles, bought new in October 21.
There are mutterings from VW that it's a characteristic of this model but since nobody else seems to have reported it to the dealership I'm not convinced. I'm guessing that the engine/clutch/gearbox for the Active variant is the same as any other Polo of that type with a 998cc 95Tsi engine and 5 speed manual gearbox.

I've taken video (over 8Mb and will reduce size to add later if it's thought useful).

Many thanks for any thoughts.
Try press and release the clutch with the engine off and listen if it still making that sound.

Both my 2018 Caddy & 2019 Polo are fitted with 5 speed manual gearbox (MQ200), and both do make a metal knocking on metal sound when release the clutch.