Confusing message on my Polo screen and software update queryhow do I resolve?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Confusing message on my Polo screen and software update queryhow do I resolve?

Post by JohnF »

After starting my 2021 Polo I get the standard clock screen, then the following message appears:
"Data transfer is currently set to: "Maximum privacy". You can find out what this setting entails and how you can change it in the control centre."

Unfortunately when I try to get rid of this in the control centre/privacy it says "no app"??? so I am stuck with this. The settings do not allow for getting rid of this message, though it goes away by itself after a while. Any ideas anyone?

The car is due it's first service, and a letter from the dealer from whome i bought it states that it requires "product enhancement/s" at the service (whatever that means).
My local VW dealer, where I will get it serviced stated that a "dash panel" needs an update plus one other update which wasn't stated. I'm none the wiser.

Has anyone any knowledge of what they will actually do?! It seems to me that the software is a bit of a mess at the moment?
KayakerPaul
Getting There!
Drives: R line - if it arrives

Re: Confusing message on my Polo screen and software update queryhow do I resolve?

Post by KayakerPaul »

If its like my transporter, slide your finger down on the max security , like a top hat icon. And you should be able to set what level you want on the media screen. If its on max setting I don`t think it lets you update software.
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Re: Confusing message on my Polo screen and software update queryhow do I resolve?

Post by JohnF »

When I go into the menu to "privacy settings" it says "unable to start app"

What app???!!!
KayakerPaul
Getting There!
Drives: R line - if it arrives

Post by KayakerPaul »

Mine had a software update (and warranty work) Thursday at 5he dealers.
Perhaps your unit is faulty. You could always try a reset, or take a picture and email it to the garage.
You should be able to touch or swipe the top icon and have about 4 privacy options. Although I have the optional media nav in the van which looks like the same unit in the Polo.
beetle274
New
Drives: 2021 R Line

Post by beetle274 »

I contacted my dealer a couple of weeks after purchasing my Polo R-Line last year to find out how to get rid of this message.....to cut a long story short I was told I would have to BUY some data before I could set a privacy level!!
I then contacted VWGB....who neatly side-stepped my query and told me that I should simply consult a different dealer if I wasn't happy!!??
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

beetle274 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:03 pm I contacted my dealer a couple of weeks after purchasing my Polo R-Line last year to find out how to get rid of this message.....to cut a long story short I was told I would have to BUY some data before I could set a privacy level!!
I then contacted VWGB....who neatly side-stepped my query and told me that I should simply consult a different dealer if I wasn't happy!!??
I’ve read on VW Golf forums that with the mk8 Golf, new owners were able to subscribe to a free data trial period (I think it was for three months). Once the free trial period ends, an annoying notification message appears each time the car’s engine is started and the only way to stop the message is to buy additional data (don’t know if the benefits of doing this are worth the cost of buying the additional data?).

So the issue you - and others - are experiencing with the Polo seems to be the same as ml8 Golf owners. From what I’ve read on other forums, there’s no way to permanently remove the message once owners have taken advantage of the free data trial period. Not subscribing at all to the free data trial period seems to be the solution, as no message will then appear, but owners aren’t aware of this when they sign up to the free trial.

Fortunately, my 2020 Polo doesn’t have the latest generation of tech so it’s not an issue for me.

Edit; have a read of this discussion thread over on golfgtiforum.co.uk at the link below;

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=288508.0