DSG gearbox juddering when changing up

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
nylemck
New
Drives: 2020 polo GTi+

DSG gearbox juddering when changing up

Post by nylemck »

I drive a 2020 polo gti. Recently the engine sounds louder/deeper sound, my mpg has dropped massively (struggle to reach 22mpg whereas before I would easy hit high 30's or 40) and also a juddering when changing gears. It's a dsg gearbox.

Has anyone else ever had a similar problem or know of any causes or solutions?

This happened before but the problem fixed itself before I could get it booked into a garage and when it finally got in to be looked at I was told it was the car learning my driving style even though I'm the only person to ever drive it and had driven it for 1.5 years at the time
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: DSG gearbox juddering when changing up

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Hi nylemck

Welcome to the forum!

it may be the OPF regen everyone talks about here.
viewtopic.php?p=588008&hilit=opf+regen#p588008
nylemck
New
Drives: 2020 polo GTi+

Post by nylemck »

Yeh that sounds exactly like it.

Cheers for that!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

nylemck wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:29 pm I drive a 2020 polo gti. Recently the engine sounds louder/deeper sound, my mpg has dropped massively (struggle to reach 22mpg whereas before I would easy hit high 30's or 40) and also a juddering when changing gears. It's a dsg gearbox.

Has anyone else ever had a similar problem or know of any causes or solutions?

This happened before but the problem fixed itself before I could get it booked into a garage and when it finally got in to be looked at I was told it was the car learning my driving style even though I'm the only person to ever drive it and had driven it for 1.5 years at the time
I think the dealer response about the car learning your driving style is rubbish to put it politely, I’ve owned my GTI+ for 21 months now and the car hasn’t learned my driving style yet - the DSG still changes up sooner than I do if I have it in manual mode or use the flappy paddles and it changes down unnecessary on some inclines. Also, if it learned individual driver’s driving styles, what does it do if there’s more than one person who drives a specific car? How does it know who’s driving and which driving style to adopt for each driver?

As OomStu_ZA has said, your car was performing a GPF / OPF regeneration. When mine last did one the symptoms were the same as yours, with the addition of a ‘hot’ smell. I think that stop start is also inactive for the duration of the regeneration too, although I can’t confirm this as I always have stop start switched off in my car.