Alarm keeps going off 10seconds after locking the car

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ShamzGTI
New
Drives: AW GTI

Alarm keeps going off 10seconds after locking the car

Post by ShamzGTI »

Hi all,

As the subject states, anyone face issues with their alarm system. I noticed ever since I took a short drive yesterday that the car alarm goes off 10 seconds after locking it. This is repeated over and over nonstop.
I tried to check for bugs but there isn't any. I switched off interior monitoring and still nothing. I tried locking via spare key and nothing. I took of the battery terminal and put it back and nothing. Called out vw which to no surprise couldn't find a fault.
Issue git a bit stranger, even when the car is not locked the alarm goes of. When I say unlocked the key has been in the house and when I approached the vehicle with the key the alarm trigger off. I inserted a new battery in the key fob and still seems to do the same except now when unlocked and I walk up to the car it does set off the alarm everytime. I switch the key fob back to the old battery and walk up to the car and no issue now but I still cannot lock the car without the alarm setting off 10 seconds after.
Any clues????
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Alarm keeps going off 10seconds after locking the car

Post by monkeyhanger »

One thing to try - those fobs are fussy with their batteries - try replacing with Varta batteries.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I had a similar issue many years ago with a Vauxhall; I’d lock the car and the alarm would go off shortly after. Turns out that the alarm siren back up battery had failed prematurely. Car was around two years old when this happened and the back up battery was replaced under warranty, and I never had any more problems with the alarm going off unintentionally.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Do you know what the "alarm delay" setting is for ZA market cars, it could be 10 seconds, so your alarm is detecting a system trigger for some reason, scanning the car would reveal a list of "past triggers" which might help out.
ShamzGTI
New
Drives: AW GTI

Post by ShamzGTI »

Hey guys, thanks for the tips.
Its not the key fob or alarm itself.
No shocker that when the car was sent into vw for inspection there were no issues/error codes. Car doesn't want to do it now but the dealer did mention there had been a few polos with faulty boot latch. I left the car with them to try and replicate over a few days. It's quite a high risk car so I cannot accept the car back without a repair.
It's not safe as the car cannot be locked when this happens.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that any/all VW Group dealerships would just have "glanced over" the car at the first visit, it seems to be the way they work, or more so, the way they need to use their workshop time as VW Group will not be paying them very much if anything for these visits.

I still "think" that the car's alarm system is smart enough to store the previous "so many" reasons that the alarm has been triggered - if that is true, I would be demanding that they looked into that area and make sure that they know why/what has been triggering it, doing that just makes life easier for everyone - maybe that is where owning VCDS comes into its own, that give them the chance to solve your issue, when you get fronted with what you have been, you then hand over a printed out sheet listing the previous some many alarm triggers - doing that in my experience usually causes a bit of professional annoyance, but the car fixing begins, which is better than yet another wasted visit.

Edit:- I know that you felt that you just HAD to do it, but taking the battery lead off will have cleared all previously stored faults for that system.
erty445
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI style ‘71

Post by erty445 »

Bought a new 71 plate 1.0 tsi style and searched for this problem as it started happening - alarm every time it’s locked up.
SOLUTION
For us it was the black box telematics plugged in as we drove away from forecourt! Insurance company had it in their list as an issue sales team obviously unaware. I’m having a hardwired version fitted instead - black box removed at the moment - No Alarm…..
(I think it’s something to do with the box using the battery the car thinks someone is interfering with the car hence alarm).