Which Fault Code Scanner? OBD VCDS

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
CaveDweller02
New
Drives: July 2002 1.2 Polo 9N 5 Door

Which Fault Code Scanner? OBD VCDS

Post by CaveDweller02 »

Can abyone tell me what fault code protocol is a May 2002 Polo? I've just bought an OBDII scanner from eBay. The plug fits but it won't communicate with the car. It works fine on a newer Audi. I just want a cheap option to check and clear an exhaust emission code that's cropped up.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Which Fault Code Scanner? OBD VCDS

Post by iichel »

You might need K-Line or L-Line diagnostics.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Which Fault Code Scanner? OBD VCDS

Post by RUM4MO »

Very disappointing, there must be thousands of earlier cheap scan tools around that people could still get rid of via ebay, that could cover quite a few of the controllers on a 2002 Polo, I had a cheap,£35 one from Gendan and it could cover engine, safety systems and auto box that started to run out of life in late 2009 onwards cars and I eventually replaced it with Carista after we sold on that 2002 Polo, but as you might be finding, a lot of newer scan tools, taking Carista for example, only work for car that were current when it first was placed on the market. VCDS though tends to work from "well back" until "now" and that is what I use for looking into car issues at home, though the current "fleet" of cars that I could end up being asked to help with is now 7 ranging from a 2006 Polo to a 2019 Leon Cupra. I tend to have a Carista dongle in both our cars and Carista on my iphone, so I'm normally always ready to check things out, well except that 2006 Polo if away from home.