Strange metallic noise nightmare!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MarcoPolo20
New
Drives: R-Line 110bhp 6 speed manual

Strange metallic noise nightmare!

Post by MarcoPolo20 »

Hello
I have a 2020 Rline Polo with just under 12,000 miles.

A few weeks ago I started hearing a metallic rattle / squeak coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. It took around 6 miles of driving before the noise started. It occurred with the engine under load, when accelerating in most gears. It sounds very much like pinking.

I took it to a VW main dealer as it’s under warranty. They heard the noise and initially were as puzzled as me. Apparently there’s nothing on the various VW databases of faults.

I recorded the sound with a microphone under the bonnet. It sounds really loud and like a fast rattle with a squeak!

They tried updating the engine software and various other things with no luck. This week they have basically removed and overhauled the manual gearbox! They have replaced the selector fork (redesigned), needle bearings, first and second gear synchromesh. Inspected the clutch / flywheel.

They believe the noise has now gone. I’m going to test drive with the Master Tech tomorrow and hopefully agree all is well and find out more info!

Has anyone else experienced a pinking type noise or had to have the gearbox stripped down?