running in new gti ?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

running in new gti ?

Post by LEEA123 »

So there are lots of opinions about running a new car for certain miles with restricted revs. I think this goes years back when engineering and tolerances were not as good as they are now, and was needed. I am sure it's a thing of the past now really?

I remember picking up my new ep3 type r in 2005, speaking to the people there in the workshop, and asking about the best way to run it. The response was, drive it like you stole it :D . Never missed a beat in four years that car. So am wondering what people's thoughts are these days.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: running in new gti ?

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve been fortunate enough to have owned a number of brand new cars over the years. I tend to just drive them ‘normally’ with a degree of mechanical sympathy over the first 1,000 miles or so, although I accept that different people will have differing views of what normal is.

I generally do the following;
  • Always let the engine oil get up to optimum temperature before (not just when the car’s new, but always) before considering driving with any degree of enthusiasm
  • Avoid driving with the engine at the same rpm’s for a prolonged time / distance, change gears frequently to vary the engine speed, avoid labouring the engine in too high a gear or revving the engine too high in the rev range
  • Allow the brakes to bed in and avoid harsh braking during the first couple of hundred miles, unless necessary in an emergency situation
  • Initially, tyres may still have some residual release agent on the tread from when they were released from the tyre molds after manufacture. Therefore, care should be taken during the first few miles of driving as grip levels may be below par until any residual release agent has been scrubbed off the tread
I think VW may write some form of running in safeguards into their software as it’s been commented on on various VW forums that owners seem to notice a bit of a step change in the engine’s eagerness at around 600 miles / 1,000 kilometres - some have described it a bit like a light switch being flicked on. I can’t say I’ve noticed a ‘night and day’ difference at 600 miles, but perhaps that down to the way I drive! 🙂
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I tend to not use the same rpm for more than five minutes for the first 1000 miles just to bed the engine in and never drive it enthusiastically until the oil is warmed up. It’s worked in the past for me.
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

There is only 1 specific requirement that must be followed for 99% of new cars, do not exceed 3,500 revs for diesel and 4,000 revs for petrol during the first 1,000 miles. (Worded as do not exceed 3/4 of the cars Rev range for first 1500km in VW manual)

Reason: new engines have microscopic inconsistencies in the flatness of the cylinders, bearings and moving surfaces. These are constantly rubbing together causing hot spots. The faster, harder and more friction these inconsistencies are inflicted upon can cause more uneven surface wear long term than gentle wear. Imagine polishing a headlight lense, instead of using 100 grit and pushing hard, you’ll use 1000 grit and gently rub it in, producing the smoother surface.