GPF bypass... will it throw up an error?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

GPF bypass... will it throw up an error?

Post by ad_182_uk »

Guessing this is similar to having a 'decat' back in the day and will throw up error messages and be illegal.

Reason i ask is due to the 2018 model not having a GPF, so if it was not a massive hardship you might get away with a friendly MOT centre.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: GPF bypass... will it throw up an error?

Post by SRGTD »

Yes, pretty certain it’s illegal in the UK to remove the GPF if a car has one fitted from new. The EML in the car’s instrument display will be illuminated if the GPF is removed and that’s an MOT fail, as is removal of the GPF itself. The GPF is there for good reason - for environmental and health benefits - to significantly reduce harmful soot particle emissions in exhaust gases.

MOT issues aside, there could also be insurance implications in removing it; if a car with its GPF removed was extensively damaged in an accident, its removal could be discovered by the insurance company claims assessor / vehicle inspector (or whatever they’re called) when inspecting the car to assess the extent of the damage. The insurance company could then deem the vehicle illegal for road use (i.e. technically unroadworthy), void the policy and refuse to pay out on the claim for damage to the vehicle. Under UK law, even if an insurance company voids a policy, they still have an obligation to pay out for injuries sustained by others (i.e. the third parties) that are caused by the policyholder’s negligence in an accident. However, the insurance company can legally seek to recover those injury payments from the negligent policyholder, and with the size of some personal injury claim payments, that could be very costly!

IMHO it’s not worth taking the risk - better to stay legal and learn to live with and love your GPF! 🙂
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

From what others have been saying about GPFs, they are almost undetectable compared to the non GPF cars. They usually regen about once every 1000 to 2000 miles from what others have said on this forum. I agree with SRGTD, keep it legal. You can remap your car to get more power if that’s what you’re looking for, you already know that would void insurance if not declared 😂 is it more for the sound that you want it to be removed? You could probably remove a setting in VCDS if you have that software to tell the car it does not have a GPF if you decide to remove it.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:51 pm From what others have been saying about GPFs, they are almost undetectable compared to the non GPF cars. They usually regen about once every 1000 to 2000 miles from what others have said on this forum. I agree with SRGTD, keep it legal. You can remap your car to get more power if that’s what you’re looking for, you already know that would void insurance if not declared 😂 is it more for the sound that you want it to be removed? You could probably remove a setting in VCDS if you have that software to tell the car it does not have a GPF if you decide to remove it.
I’ve had a maximum of three regens that I’m aware of in just under 9,000 miles. Only the last one displayed all the tell tale signs of it being a forced regeneration (slight engine hesitancy, a ‘hot’ smell, louder exhaust, reduced mpg), so I’m thinking that the previous two were passive as the only tell tale signs were a louder exhaust note and a slight ‘hot’ smell.

So i can live with one forced regen in 9k miles. Frequency will depend on the car’s use though - lots of short journeys when the engine doesn’t get up to optimum operating temperature = more frequent forced regen. I don’t use my car on short journeys - I walk, which is better for me and for the environment 🙂👍.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

I do enjoy the clean tips and minimal fumes out the back end to be fair.

Sound wise everything is fine due to the milltek straight pipe from GPF back.

I was considering a remap once the car was out of warranty and to unlock the cars full potential, just wondered if the GPF robs a lot of power when the remap comes around. If its like 10 BHP i'll certainly leave the GPF in!

MRC are quoting circa £850 for ECU and DSG mapping custom done and DYNO tested.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

I know this is as much use as "I know someone down the pub" statement, but I recall reading about Audi in Car Magazine and they were working on about 40bhp lose for the RS3 with GPF, so perhaps in region of 10% power. Then on the other hand after the implementation of GPF the Golf R dropped from 310 to 300ps so not sure if they had to tweak tuning on the Golf and for reliability or save money settled with 300ps as output for remainder of production run
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

AndyGTi wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:42 pm I know this is as much use as "I know someone down the pub" statement, but I recall reading about Audi in Car Magazine and they were working on about 40bhp lose for the RS3 with GPF, so perhaps in region of 10% power. Then on the other hand after the implementation of GPF the Golf R dropped from 310 to 300ps so not sure if they had to tweak tuning on the Golf and for reliability or save money settled with 300ps as output for remainder of production run
The 10ps power drop for the Golf R, along with fitting a GPF and switching from multi point to single point fuel injection, coincided with the change from NEDC to WLTP method of producing vehicle manufacturers official fuel consumption and CO2 emissions figures. So I suspect those changes to the Golf R were necessary for it to achieve acceptable WLTP test results and gain WLTP type approval certification so it could continue to be built and sold. Many mk7 Golf R enthusiasts consider one of the last of the pre-WLTP compliant R’s with 310ps and multi point injection as the one to own.

There may have been other similar changes as above to the RS3 too in order for it to gain WLTP type approval certification.