Tail light (passenger side) failure

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Tail light (passenger side) failure

Post by AndyGTi »

Well tonight’s problem looks like failed tail light.

Driver rear light cluster works fine with indicator, brake light and tail light working as it should.

However passenger side does not show tail light in the main rear cluster.

The indicator works and the brake light works but on the tail light only the red strip on the section linked to hatch is showing red.

I appreciate that your unlikely to help but I had a fiddle inside the little hatch and pressed contact with wiring but nothing would spring it to come on, I suspect trip to dealer is required to get it to work or worse has it blown as nd needs new LED.

Just thought it’d mention it in case others have same experience.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Re: Tail light (passenger side) failure

Post by ad_182_uk »

Pre-facelift the whole cluster comes out with one wingnut removal from behind the carpet.

If that helps…
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

@ad_182_uk Thanks I did see the wing nut and had a half hearted attempt to turn it but it didn't give and I chickened out of trying further.

Maybe I will have another look in daylight, just about to look at the Workshop guide on here and see if I can give it another try. The fact the all other functions are active suggests that there may be a loose wire somewhere rather than a full problem but of course as its LED I think its sealed. I'm thinking that the fuses are ok as its only one side as the other side works fine.

I will let you know.

Thanks
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

You can try and remove the light cluster but the first time you remove the wingnut it is very tight, but does eventually come loose. You need to be at just the right awkward angle to be able to have enough power to loosen it with your hand. Or use your phone torch and you’ll see a red clip over the wire harness where you need to pull it out before removing the connector. I’d recommend leaving it to the dealer because it may also be one of the settings in the BCM which has bugged out preventing the light from being enabled.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

I would leave it to the dealer as well with it being a brand new vehicle.

I took mine out to replace the indicators and reverse bulbs with LED so it matched the rest of the GTI+ lights. Was super simple but you do need tiny hands.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

ad_182_uk wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:16 am I would leave it to the dealer as well with it being a brand new vehicle.
Agree.

@AndyGTI; you don’t want to give VW any opportunity to wriggle out of a warranty claim if a new light cluster is needed - they might try to maintain it’s been damaged by the customer if there’s any evidence of attempts to access or remove it (VW do seem to take a much firmer stance on warranty claims since the dieselgate debacle back in 2015).
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

Yes the rear light cluster release nut is very tight, you'll need a 10mm socket on it if you're doing it for the first time, thereafter you'll be able to do it by hand, assuming you only tighten it by hand when replacing it.
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

It might be worth having someone push the light cluster into the car when trying to unscrew the wingnut as this will put less friction on the screw as you’re loosening it. But I would recommend with the others to just leave it with the dealer. I hope it isn’t a common fault as being this new could be a sign of a bad batch of clusters.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Hi All

Thanks for all your replies above. Yes, I tend to agree with you, I will just need to take it to dealer, I've read the updated Polo Workshop manual as well as Owners manual and it says if LEDs fail, you need to replace whole cluster. Perhaps as mentioned above there is some coding error that needs to be reset but I certainly can't do that and the most I could do is wiggle some wires and press in connectors (in case anything loose).

Yes, didn't want to try and get cluster off just to then have to visit Dealer anyway. They'll either play around themselves or have a straight replacement policy (think I saw somewhere or comment from @SRGTD that they have a fault finding guide and have to follow that when diagnosing any issues.)

I'll let you know, it'll be next week before I can get in there.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

AndyGTi wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:56 pm Yes, didn't want to try and get cluster off just to then have to visit Dealer anyway. They'll either play around themselves or have a straight replacement policy (think I saw somewhere or comment from @SRGTD that they have a fault finding guide and have to follow that when diagnosing any issues.)

I'll let you know, it'll be next week before I can get in there.
With mechanical faults yes, there’s a set procedure laid down by VW that dealers need to follow - if they don’t follow it, then they don’t get paid by VW. With something like a faulty light cluster, hopefully there will be relatively few possible causes (e.g. faulty connector, fuse, the actual light cluster); with any luck it’ll just be a straightforward replacement of the light cluster itself 🤞.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Hi All

Thought I would give you an update. Car has been into dealer today and is now back all sorted out with working left taillight (...and also working right tailight :lol: )

Dealer rang about 11am to say the light cluster was working fine (as they had tested that). They needed a few hours to do wiring test and then test control unit.

Anyway rang at 1.45pm to say found the fault in wiring around rear seats and from what I understand, the wire was pinched and earthing on the metal car frame. Anyway that is that sorted out under warranty.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Good to hear Andy and glad you have your car back.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Good to hear it’s been fixed @AndyGTi and it was easy for the dealer to track down and rectify the cause of the problem. Hopefully no more issues 🤞.

Now you can get back to enjoying your car 🙂.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Thanks guys @SRGTD and @Lancslad1985. I now enjoy going out in the dark showing off the 3D Effect LED tail lights :lol: :lol:

Glad it was an easy fix in the end.