Beware: The soft limiter bypass videos…

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Beware: The soft limiter bypass videos…

Post by ad_182_uk »

Came across this which appears to show someone showing how to ‘bypass’ the soft limiter on the DSG.

From what people say the limiter is there to protect the gearbox when in park / neutral, although if it’s that dangerous why can you rev it at all…

Anyway - video in question here, seems innocuous but those claiming to have mechanical experience suggest it’s not good.

Im guessing as one off whoever it is in the video may get away with it, although after asking it appears they have blocked my comments on youtube or removed the vid so take from that what you will.

https://youtube.com/shorts/FWFLTppcZyM?feature=share
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: Beware: The soft limiter bypass videos…

Post by lancslad1985 »

The video has been set to private, as I can’t see it either and I haven’t commented.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Interesting, I was able to see it a while back and confirm it is now blocked. Basically, the chap said to put the gear lever between Park and Reverse. This would remove the gear indicator from the digital display and then reved it to 7000 RPM. Quite a silly idea if you ask me.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

Yes that is pretty much what he did. Handbrake on and foot on both brake pedal and accelerator.

Hopefully he did it once and got away with it. I have no idea how many times / how long you would have to do this to cause damage. Not about to test it out though! :lol:
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:33 pm Interesting, I was able to see it a while back and confirm it is now blocked. Basically, the chap said to put the gear lever between Park and Reverse. This would remove the gear indicator from the digital display and then reved it to 7000 RPM. Quite a silly idea if you ask me.
Agree; a silly idea.

I’ve not even used launch control in my car in just over two years of ownership so I’m hardly likely to want to bypass the soft limiter.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Maybe I’m just getting old but my main thought on this was “why?”.