Advice needed AW GTI+ 2019

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
RyanArosaGTI12
New
Drives: AW GTI

Advice needed AW GTI+ 2019

Post by RyanArosaGTI12 »

Hi guys,

This is my first post. I’ve owned a couple of different model polo GTIs over the years. I’ve just bought a 2019 GTI+ yesterday and have already developed a fault.

After a hard acceleration (rev’d through 3rd) the engine light started flashing and the EPC light came on along with auto start stop error. The engine light flashed but then went away leaving the EPC light on and the car running very rough, juddering quite violently under any acceleration.

The problem goes away if I turn the engine off and the car will run normal until I try to accelerate rapid again. I know I will need to get it scanned which I will get done tomorrow. Just looking to see if this is a common issue or if it’s worth giving the car back to the dealership and washing my hands with it. Il be gutted if I had to give it back as I love the car already!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: Advice needed AW GTI+ 2019

Post by lancslad1985 »

Personally I’d have it straight back to the garage. The sooner they see any issues the easier it is to reject it. When I looked into it all, as my current car is a lemon, it basically said that if the garage is made aware within a month that there are issues you can just flat out reject it any point (I’m sure someone else will know the intricacies better than me!). Which is precisely what I did.

I understand you like it, I actually like mine bar the software issues, but you could get lumbered with it if you don’t take it back.
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

This could be potentially a faulty mass airflow sensor which is something that regulates air intake into the engine, and relays this info to the car’s computer which then adjusts fuel supply to match. If this is not working properly, this can cause a fuel starvation issue, however when this happens you will normally notice a slight hesitation in the accelerating power of the car.

It could even be the fuel filter blocked which isn’t allowing enough fuel through it when under hard acceleration.

All of the faults are stored in the ecu so even if the warning lights go away you should still be able to see which triggered it.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@RyanArosaGTI12; I can’t recall reading on the forum of any GTI / GTI+ owners experiencing the fault that your car has. There’s a useful summary of your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 at the link below;

https://www.themotorombudsman.org/knowl ... ying-a-car

And a slightly more detailed overview here;

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

The rights outlined in the two items above apply if you bought your car from a dealer. Unfortunately, you legal rights are more limited if you bought the car privately.

Please update this topic once you’ve had an opportunity to speak to the seller; it’s likely that a fault code (or codes) will have been stored and they should be able to scan the car for faults to determine what the cause of the problem is. Hopefully it’s something that can be easily rectified and you can get back to enjoying your car.

Good luck 🤞
RyanArosaGTI12
New
Drives: AW GTI

Post by RyanArosaGTI12 »

So got it scanned today, misfire on cylinder 1. RAC guy said straight away it will be the coil, garage seemed to agree. Dealer I bought it from has been great, paid for my taxi home and sorting a courtesy car. Given me a £50 a day travel allowance should I need it. It’s in with them to get repaired now so fingers crossed.

EPC light has gone out and engine light stays on now. They said the EPC was just an early warning until the engine light stayed on
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

RyanArosaGTI12 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:33 pm So got it scanned today, misfire on cylinder 1. RAC guy said straight away it will be the coil, garage seemed to agree. Dealer I bought it from has been great, paid for my taxi home and sorting a courtesy car. Given me a £50 a day travel allowance should I need it. It’s in with them to get repaired now so fingers crossed.

EPC light has gone out and engine light stays on now. They said the EPC was just an early warning until the engine light stayed on
Good to hear it seems like an easy fix and that the dealer is looking after you.