End of the line ?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Re: End of the line ?

Post by MikeDO »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:58 am With this discussion in mind, if there is to be a Golf 9 (albeit all electric probably) maybe there is hope for a next gen Polo model too:
https://www.cars.co.za/motoring-news/an ... ng/137782/
Martina Biene, freshly appointed as chairperson and managing director of VW Group SA, has confirmed both the Polo and Polo Vivo will continue “beyond 2025”.
Interesting read.

But sadly, I suspect the Polo will go on to live as yet another electric milk float :(

PS. I'm old enough to remember the electric milk floats. And every time I hear a Tesla move off, I hear the clink of milk bottles in my mind and smile :)
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Interesting thoughts on this thread and to add my thoughts there is this article to throw into the mix.
Times they are a changing. But then again, the more things change the more they stay the same. It did seem strange that VW seemed to be heading towards binning nameplates that had some history and the recent articles seems to prove that there has been some rethinking or perhaps forward planning to let people know that the car might change….but it’ll still be a “Golf”

Brands always bang on about conquest sales (where new customers come on board) but the core are people turning up and saying, right need a new Golf (insert VW car name) what have you got? So giving people an excuse to think twice can be counterproductive. Alternatively I do also see logic of saying that old car is gone now, we have a special new one and it’s so radical it needs a new name.

From other previous articles I felt Polo in Europe (as an ICE vehicle) would end in 2025ish but other worldwide markets would keep it alive for several more years. So this VW boss interview is almost saying, come 2025 doubtful we will have an ICE Polo in Europe but we could be selling ID Polo instead to keep some continuity into the EV age.

As for final fling special edition GTI, I am hoping we could have something perhaps to match mini JCW, but I feel marketing and VW costs would keep things rather subdued. Polo GTI Clubsport with 220bhp, lsd differential and those black/red seats (as in Golf), we can dream

It was interesting to read change in thinking from yes,definitely mk9 with combustion engines to perhaps Golf will survive but go all electric in mk9 form. (Audi are rumoured to be working on EV A3 on the new SSP platform for circa 2027, so as the two models have always been linked it seems sensible to share development costs.

Also this software debacle does seem to be hurting VAG group quite a lot and I think streamlining of developments makes sense.

I was surprised and not surprised by budget announcement on EV VED rates. As it has it has upset a lot of people and from what I read there are adjustments on all VED bands whichever year you registered and you will pay something. That does seem sensible especially when you consider the weight and wear and tear on roads.

It was always going to happen and it’s also an easy tax to take because everyone will moan, but then have to pay it. Also means it’s easier to rationalise an ICE car purchase if something good pops up in next few years if you know the cost for tax is very similar.

So back to Polos, I am hoping for something special in 2024 to celebrate 50yrs of Polo (and Golf). Let’s hope the VW boffins haven’t been too restricted by accountants.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

AndyGTi wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:48 am
As for final fling special edition GTI, I am hoping we could have something perhaps to match mini JCW, but I feel marketing and VW costs would keep things rather subdued. Polo GTI Clubsport with 220bhp, lsd differential and those black/red seats (as in Golf), we can dream

So back to Polos, I am hoping for something special in 2024 to celebrate 50yrs of Polo (and Golf). Let’s hope the VW boffins haven’t been too restricted by accountants.
I’m with you let’s dream for something special as a parting gesture
Alboyuk
New
Drives: R Line

Post by Alboyuk »

I think the post you were looking at refers to India VW have not said anything about stopping the polo in the UK yet
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

The article is talking about the European Polo. Its not saying its dead, but they are saying its in the balance
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

CarbonChaos wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:01 pm
AndyGTi wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:48 am

I’m with you let’s dream for something special as a parting gesture
Sign me up as well :)
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Just seen a very interesting article at the link below that was posted over on golfmk7.com forum regarding the proposed Euro7 emissions regulations and what that could mean for next generation petrol / diesel engines cars, including a next generation Polo.

It seems that compliance with Euro7 emissions regulations could be the nail in the coffin for many petrol / diesel powered cars - at least in European markets. Some of the key points from the article below, although IMHO it’s worth reading the article in it’s entirety;
  • July 2025 implementation date for Euro7 is earlier than expected, so giving limited time for vehicle manufacturers to develop compliant solutions.
  • The European Commission can make changes to the proposed Euro7 regulations right up until 2024, leaving little or no time for compliance testing and certification of vehicles prior to implementation date.
  • Ties up significant resource and budget of car manufacturers to develop compliant solutions that are perceived to deliver limited environmental benefits over Euro6 regulations, and it diverts resource and budget away from EV development.
  • For vehicle manufacturers to develop Euro7 compliant vehicles would add to the cost of petrol / diesel powered cars which would be reflected in selling prices.
  • Poor quality fuels in developing countries would damage Euro7 compliant engines meaning they couldn’t be sold in those countries, limiting the potential market size, revenue and profit streams for vehicle manufacturers.
  • All new vehicles are included in the proposed Euro7 regulations and not just next generation models when they’re launched. That would require vehicle manufacturers to make their current models Euro7 compliant, rather than just develop and implement Euro7 compliant engines in their next generation models.
Link to article;
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/ne ... 62#image=4

So going back to the title of this discussion topic; ‘End of the line?’ Euro7 regulations could well mean the end of the line for many petrol / diesel powered vehicles, at least those sold in European and UK markets.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I know the German car makers have gone back to complain about Euro 7, saying it’s pointless if they’re making us all go electric from 2030 anyway. Let’s see what happens.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:17 am Just seen a very interesting article at the link below that was posted over on golfmk7.com forum regarding the proposed Euro7 emissions regulations and what that could mean for next generation petrol / diesel engines cars, including a next generation Polo.

It seems that compliance with Euro7 emissions regulations could be the nail in the coffin for many petrol / diesel powered cars - at least in European markets. Some of the key points from the article below, although IMHO it’s worth reading the article in it’s entirety;
Wow, that is great article explaining the situation which is developing around EU7 test. It will be very interesting how things develop.

Not only is the planned implementation going to be problematic but as it says previous editions have affected newly released models but this is ANY new car after the date needs to be compliant.

I’d say the car market is just about to recover in 2023 just before another rush/constriction in supply hits as everyone starts to try and get a car in 2024 early 25.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Another article - this one from polodriver.com - suggesting the current iteration of the Polo may well be the last and not be around to celebrate its 50th anniversary; not in the UK and Europe anyway. The article states that compliance with Euro7 emissions regulations would add ‘at least £3,000 to the average price of cars like the Polo’, making them uncompetitive, price-wise.

http://www.polodriver.com/polo-1975-198 ... -the-road/

It goes on to state that the Golf may become an electric only model. I read recently on another forum that the next generation Golf could be a model in the ID model line up, sold alongside the Golf-sized ID.3.