GTI engine information

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Discoboy
New
Drives: 2022 GTi

Re: GTI engine information

Post by Discoboy »

In case it is of interest to anybody. Having taken delivery of new 2022 face-lift GTi and when compared to the AW model before. The engine version has changed from an EA888 Gen3B to the new EA888 Gen/Evo4 engine with the 6-speed DSG box being changed to the DQ381 7-speed wet clutch DSG box.
Andy D
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTi + in Flash Red

Post by Andy D »

Discoboy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:53 pm In case it is of interest to anybody. Having taken delivery of new 2022 face-lift GTi and when compared to the AW model before. The engine version has changed from an EA888 Gen3B to the new EA888 Gen/Evo4 engine with the 6-speed DSG box being changed to the DQ381 7-speed wet clutch DSG box.
But is there noticeable improvement ? :)
Discoboy
New

Post by Discoboy »

Hi Andy D,
The engine cover is much thicker with an extra layer of rubber sound deadening added.
Also, the oil filter cap is now directly above the cam cover (so now more forward to the engine bay front) and has a larger opening and not to the rear and smaller opening as with the pre face-lift engine.
Performance wise and mpg time will tell I guess... :wink:
Discoboy
New

Post by Discoboy »

PS. Also noticed it's no longer dual injection IE. direct & port injection it’s now just direct injection only... :shock:
RinDman
New
Drives: Polo AW GTI DSG6

Post by RinDman »

How the evo 4 can prevent carbon buildup without mpi mode then ...
Metman888
New
Drives: 2022 Polo GTi

Post by Metman888 »

Discoboy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:41 pm PS. Also noticed it's no longer dual injection IE. direct & port injection it’s now just direct injection only... :shock:
According to VW it does. I know in the US the evo 4 engine has lost dual injection though.

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/ ... ngine-7437
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Metman888 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:02 am
Discoboy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:41 pm PS. Also noticed it's no longer dual injection IE. direct & port injection it’s now just direct injection only... :shock:
According to VW it does. I know in the US the evo 4 engine has lost dual injection though.

It’s worth being aware that the content of VW’s communications and product literature aren’t always 100% correct (not saying the information in news article at the link above is wrong, just that there’s a chance it might not be 100% accurate).

For anyone who’s interested to know for certain whether or not their new GTI is dual injection or direct injection, they can always remove the engine cover and check if the key components for dual injection are present (port injector fuel rail, port injector fuel connector and fuel pressure sensor).

You can see those components highlighted in the picture on the EA888 Gen3b engine in forum member @monkeyhanger’s post at the link below - link should open on page 119 of the linked discussion topic; the picture is in @monkeyhanger’s post that’s one post up from the bottom of the page;

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php? ... 1f#p548978
Discoboy
New

Post by Discoboy »

Hi SRGTD,
Here is a photo of my UK purchased late Nov. 2022 reg GTi 207ps engine bay (EA888 Gen/Evo4).
In the photo you cannot see any Port Injection hardware such the rail or low-pressure rail sensor.
In fact, you can see the blanked off ports on the inlet manifold where to port inject would be installed on a Gen3B engine…

Discoboy
New

Post by Discoboy »

Metman888 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:02 am

Maybe that VW article was issued at the time the pre facelift GTi engine transitioned from the 200ps 6-speed to the 207ps 7-speed Gen3B. Then the facelift GTi got a newer 207ps 7-speed Gen/Evo 4 engine without port injection.. :?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Discoboy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:36 pm Hi SRGTD,
Here is a photo of my UK purchased late Nov. 2022 reg GTi 207ps engine bay (EA888 Gen/Evo4).
In the photo you cannot see any Port Injection hardware such the rail or low-pressure rail sensor.
In fact, you can see the blanked off ports on the inlet manifold where to port inject would be installed on a Gen3B engine…
Thanks for posting your picture. Seems to confirm the EA888 Gen/Evo4 engine as fitted in the facelift Polo GTI doesn’t have dual injection.
Discoboy
New

Post by Discoboy »

Maybe this is the reason taken from a VW article on the new EA888 Gen/Evo4 engin

https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1615

“From the moment air is introduced into the 2.0-liter EA888, a specially designed charge-motion flap in the intake manifold closes asymmetrically to induce a combined swirling and tumbling flow motion in the air/fuel charge. While its primary benefit is to aid in the mixing of air and fuel, it also helps to realize an increase in efficiency by allowing clean air to enter the marginal areas of the combustion chamber, even at low engine speeds. At high engine speeds, the flap closes, and maximum power can be achieved.”

A new inlet flap. :?
j_sheath
New
Drives: POLO GTI AW

Post by j_sheath »

does this mean that the new Polo gti facelift model actually shares the engine in the golf and not a 'roided' version of the engine in the Tiguan's?
flyingdonkey
New
Drives: Polo GTI AE 22

Post by flyingdonkey »

Discoboy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:36 pm Hi SRGTD,

Hi so i have Australian purchased early 2022 Polo GTI i understand im abit out of place but this the best forum i've found as these cars don't seem to sell in Australia. But i was wondering as i have a facelift but mine comes with 6 Speed DSG and the 200PS so would mine come with EA888 3B or the EA888 Gen/Evo4.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

flyingdonkey wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:24 am Hi so i have Australian purchased early 2022 Polo GTI i understand im abit out of place but this the best forum i've found as these cars don't seem to sell in Australia. But i was wondering as i have a facelift but mine comes with 6 Speed DSG and the 200PS so would mine come with EA888 3B or the EA888 Gen/Evo4.
VW Australia website shows the current (facelift) Polo GTI as having the 6 speed DSG and an engine power output of 147kw which is the same as the pre-facelift GTI. That does suggest the facelift Polo GTI for the Australian market retained the pre-facelift car’s engine and transmission - same as the facelift GTI in South Africa. The UK facelift GTI’s have 7 speed DSG and engine power output is 151.5kw / 207ps / 204bhp.

Forum member @OomStu_ZA who’s based in South Africa asked VW SA a while ago why the pre-facelift engine and transmission were retained for facelift GTI’s sold in South Africa and he was told it was because of poor fuel quality sold in that country. Maybe that’s also the reason in Australia?

The above does suggest your car’s engine may be the gen 3B unit and not the newer Evo4 version, although I’m only guessing that’s the case.
flyingdonkey
New
Drives: Polo GTI AE 22

Post by flyingdonkey »

Yea thanks for the reply it would make more sense for it be the gen 3b. Im not to sure as to why Australia didn't receive the 7 speed and Evo 4 because from my memory our fuel quality is pretty good compared to most of the world but defiantly is laking behind most of Europe. Would the best idea to figure out what motor is the car to head to VW and ask them?