Fuel economy

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Polo72
New
Drives: Polo Life 1.0 Tsi

Fuel economy

Post by Polo72 »

Hi All

Just out of interest what are people getting fuel wise on the 1.0tsi dsg 95. How many miles to a tank and mpg

Thanks
Tom
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Re: Fuel economy

Post by POLO Clive »

I usually get somewhere between 50 to 55 on most journeys, obviously less pottering around town and to the shops etc, and my Long Term reading is 48.3, that's the overall figure since I got the car new in March 2020.

Mine is the 115ps 6-speed.
Andy D
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTi + in Flash Red

Post by Andy D »

I have a 2020 Polo 2.0 GTi and on a run I can easily get 50mpg, last run was 50.7mpg. Around town sort of 30ish +. It doesn't answer the OP's question but it hopefully will give you some kind of comparison :)
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

When I first took delivery of my vehicle back in 2019 the fuel economy was bad but then one always wants to see what a new car is capable of. 3 years later and my current long term avg. is 6.7/100km, or ±41 mpg. When on a freeway it comes down to ± 5.8L/100KM, or 48mpg but with regular daily driving it settles around 6.7L/100KM .
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Long term average in my GTI+ is around 41-42 mpg. Like @Andy D, i have no problem getting 50+ mpg on a decent run.

IMHO that’s more than acceptable for a 2.0 litre hot hatch 🙂.
arkay
New
Drives: Polo Life DSG (95 PS) in Stormy Grey

Post by arkay »

Hi Tom

I have exactly the model you asked about so can give you a realistic idea of the fuel economy. I have kept careful records of fill-ups and the overall economy over 3900 miles is 53.6 mpg. The best tankful mileage (out of 10 fill ups) was 58 mpg and the worst 49.6 mpg. I can usually get 400 miles from a tank.

The car is nearly six months old and is loosening up nicely. The engine/gearbox combination works really well for me. Yes the car can be a little bit hesitant at roundabouts/junctions. I have learned to switch the stop/start function off and that has reduced the hesitancy. But overall I am delighted with my choice. It replaced a Fabia 110 PS auto and I find the Polo more refined and economical - the Fabia’s average consumption over 9000 miles was 46.3 mpg.

I don’t think you would be disappointed with this 95 PS/DSG combination. For info, my model is the Life version and I find the standard specification/equipment to be really good.
Polo72
New

Post by Polo72 »

Hi Arkay

So I have the 1.0tsi model 95bhp dsg and so far it’s only done 170miles from new. The reason I was asking about mpg is currently the cars says I’m getting 35 - 40 at a push and it’s looking like I’ll only just get 370 to a tank at a push and I was a little disappointed. I had the manual before and that was amazing. I’m kind of hoping once it’s loosened up abit and got more miles on it the mpg will improve abit. Do you find that when setting off it’s goes up the gears fairly quickly like it doesn’t rev much about 2000rpm ish and it changes.

Thanks
Tom
Polo72
New

Post by Polo72 »

Sorry forgot to add Mine in the life and yes I agree it’s a dam good spec car
arkay
New
Drives: Polo Life DSG (95 PS) in Stormy Grey

Post by arkay »

Hopefully the fuel economy improves as you put on more miles. I must admit I mainly use the Polo for longer journeys like holiday trips/shopping further afield. I have a wee electric car - Seat Mii electric - for more local trips. So my good mpg figures are partly down to that I’m sure.

As for the the DSG gear changes, I just leave the car to do its own thing! It does change up quite quickly I suppose but that is by design - the theory is it improves fuel consumption by getting the car’s engine revs down quickly. On the few occasions when I need a quick getaway, I knock the gearstick back into Sport mode or floor the accelerator and the car drops a gear or two and responds a bit quicker. The GTi version is made for faster/more responsive driving so at least that is an option people have. The mild mannered behaviour of the 95 PS engine suits me fine!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Polo72 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:48 pm Hi Arkay

So I have the 1.0tsi model 95bhp dsg and so far it’s only done 170miles from new. The reason I was asking about mpg is currently the cars says I’m getting 35 - 40 at a push and it’s looking like I’ll only just get 370 to a tank at a push and I was a little disappointed. I had the manual before and that was amazing. I’m kind of hoping once it’s loosened up abit and got more miles on it the mpg will improve abit. Do you find that when setting off it’s goes up the gears fairly quickly like it doesn’t rev much about 2000rpm ish and it changes.

Thanks
Tom
I think it’s a little early after just 170 miles to say whether your current fuel consumption is representative of what you can expect to achieve longer term - as you’ve said, the engine won’t be loosened up yet. Lots of factors also influence mpg;
  • type of journeys driven; If predominantly short urban journeys, mpg will suffer
  • whether or not your typical journey is long enough for the engine to get up to optimum operating temperature
  • driving style and speed driven
  • number of occupants and weight of luggage in the car
  • volume of other traffic and stop start disruptions to your journeys
  • ambient temperature; mpg will be worse during the colder winter months than it will during the warmer months
  • tyre pressures; IMHO it would be worth checking them if you’ve not already done so - don’t assume they were set to the correct pressure when your car was PDI’d; one of mine had been left at the transit (from the factory) pressure of 50psi 😮.
There will no doubt be other factors in addition to those listed above.

Also, if you’re relying on the car’s fuel computer for your mpg figures, bear in mind it’s unlikely to be 100% accurate - better to calculate it manually if you want accurate figures.
Polo72
New

Post by Polo72 »

Hi

So the car does 11 miles to work and 11 back so 22 a day. This is on slow country lanes with hills and bends now I type it this probably isn’t helping. I’m quite a gentle driver to be honest I don’t thrash cars. There is only ever me in the car and the car is empty to be honest. Tyre pressures I’m going to check tomorrow. The manual was really good on fuel going to work but I suppose maybe for the type of roads it is the auto will never be as good.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

I average 58MPG to a tank. I do mainly motorway driving for my work commute. That's 47 miles round trip. Even though it has drop off a bit now it's gone cold.
Polo72
New

Post by Polo72 »

Steve 2019 is your the 1.0tsi 95bhp?
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

Polo72 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:15 am Steve 2019 is your the 1.0tsi 95bhp?
No its a 1.0tsi 115bhp DSG
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Steve, what speed do you usually do on the motorway for your commute? I’m getting the 115 DSG and was curious about economy.