Factory Radio keeps turning off

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
F17ANT
New
Drives: Polo 6C 1.0

Factory Radio keeps turning off

Post by F17ANT »

Hi there,

I need help! I have a 2015 Polo with the factory radio (the one that is touch screen and has a CD player and SD card reader in the glove box)

I have never had any problems with the radio before and today on the way to work I turned the car on and radio came on as normal but switched off like after 15 seconds . Then it comes back on does the same after 15 seconds then comes back on again. And repeats this process like 10 times then just stays off.

Because I was on the way to work I didn't have time or tools to check much but both connectors behind the screen are plugged in. I didn't look at the unit behind the glove box but will do later.

Me and the Mrs are the first owners of the car so we know its always had the factory unit and know one has played with the cables behind.

It seems more like software fault has anyone got files that I can flash it with? But again will it stay on long enough to get flash?

Help needed thanks in advance

Antony
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Factory Radio keeps turning off

Post by RUM4MO »

It is not the onset of colder weather that has caused this?

Round about the time these cars were launched, there was some issues with cold weather performance of the infotainment system, maybe resolved by a S/W update, I can't say, my wife's car bought new by her in August 2015, a factory order so build in late July 2015 before the change to 2016MY, and it has never suffered from any infotainment issues - yet, it tends to be garaged 90% of the time.

Maybe look on the internet for directions for performing a system reset, I've forgotten how you do that.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:07 pm It is not the onset of colder weather that has caused this?

Round about the time these cars were launched, there was some issues with cold weather performance of the infotainment system, maybe resolved by a S/W update, I can't say, my wife's car bought new by her in August 2015, a factory order so build in late July 2015 before the change to 2016MY, and it has never suffered from any infotainment issues - yet, it tends to be garaged 90% of the time.

Maybe look on the internet for directions for performing a system reset, I've forgotten how you do that.
Yes. cold weather did cause performance issues with the first generation MIB infotainment units that were installed in the mk7 Golf from 2013-2016 (blank screens, unresponsive buttons). The 6c Polos had the second generation MIB units (MIB II). My 6c Polo was built at the end of 2015 so was a 2026 model year car, and I also never had any issues aside from the very occasional blank screen which always sorted itself after a few seconds.

To do a reset, with the infotainment unit on, press and hold the power button. The system will power down. Keep the power button pressed until the unit powers back up again. YouTube video at the link below showing this being done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3ni6UZrNg

@F17ANT; I don’t think software updates are out in the public domain for owners to apply themselves, so if a system reset doesn’t work then it’s worth checking with your dealer to see if there are any software updates that they can apply to hopefully solve the issues you’re experiencing.
F17ANT
New

Post by F17ANT »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:07 pm It is not the onset of colder weather that has caused this?

SRGTD wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:31 pm

Yes. cold weather did cause performance issues with the first generation MIB infotainment units that were installed in the mk7 Golf from 2013-2016 (blank screens, unresponsive buttons). The 6c Polos had the second generation MIB units (MIB II). My 6c Polo was built at the end of 2015 so was a 2026 model year car, and I also never had any issues aside from the very occasional blank screen which always sorted itself after a few seconds.

To do a reset, with the infotainment unit on, press and hold the power button. The system will power down. Keep the power button pressed until the unit powers back up again. YouTube video at the link below showing this being done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3ni6UZrNg

@F17ANT; I don’t think software updates are out in the public domain for owners to apply themselves, so if a system reset doesn’t work then it’s worth checking with your dealer to see if there are any software updates that they can apply to hopefully solve the issues you’re experiencing.
Thanks for the reply guys but I can't do the reset as it turns off before I even have a chance to do it
rbz5416
Getting There!
Drives: 6C

Post by rbz5416 »

My May 2015 does odd things occasionally, especially when the weather changes. Very sluggish to respond to screen input & sometimes hangs at the VW screen. Of course when reported to the dealer under warranty, with video evidence, "No fault found". Really must get round to fully researching a replacement.

Maybe try holding the power button down while turning on the ignition?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Personally I'd ignore the fact that it does not stay on long enough - and just get on with trying to carry out a "reset" as advised, nothing to lose.

Edit:- I would hope that if the "reset" does not work, at least there will be fault codes stored in its memory - it does have that capability and these fault codes can be retrieved using a scan tool that is fully VW Group compliant - maybe try to find someone local to you that has VCDS - plugging that into your car would let them read any stored fault codes - this unit might just be faulty in a way that S/W can not solve.

If you buy a used unit, you will need to take the car to a proper VW Group Indie or VW dealership to connect to VW mothership and get Component Protection removed and that used unit to be returned to being a "virgin" unit - unless it has been reported as being stolen, then assigned to your car.

I've done this already with my 2011 Audi S4 and had no problems - remember some stupid VW workshops might try to tell you that you can't fit a used unit - they are being stupid and lazy, they only want to sell you a new one as fitting it is just plug and play for them.
F17ANT
New

Post by F17ANT »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:07 am Personally I'd ignore the fact that it does not stay on long enough - and just get on with trying to carry out a "reset" as advised, nothing to lose.

Edit:- I would hope that if the "reset" does not work, at least there will be fault codes stored in its memory - it does have that capability and these fault codes can be retrieved using a scan tool that is fully VW Group compliant - maybe try to find someone local to you that has VCDS - plugging that into your car would let them read any stored fault codes - this unit might just be faulty in a way that S/W can not solve.

If you buy a used unit, you will need to take the car to a proper VW Group Indie or VW dealership to connect to VW mothership and get Component Protection removed and that used unit to be returned to being a "virgin" unit - unless it has been reported as being stolen, then assigned to your car.

I've done this already with my 2011 Audi S4 and had no problems - remember some stupid VW workshops might try to tell you that you can't fit a used unit - they are being stupid and lazy, they only want to sell you a new one as fitting it is just plug and play for them.

Hi I tried the reset process does nothing. I think I'll either buy a unit from lemon shark and use this opportunity to upgrade to something better and if I'm not happy send it back and buy a second hand unit on ebay thats already had the protection wiped (they ranging from £99 - £120) as its only the unit with Bluetooth and SD card no Nav and No carplay.
Rikinillo99
New
Drives: V 6r

Post by Rikinillo99 »

F17ANT wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:39 am
RUM4MO wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:07 am Personally I'd ignore the fact that it does not stay on long enough - and just get on with trying to carry out a "reset" as advised, nothing to lose.

Hi I tried the reset process does nothing. I think I'll either buy a unit from lemon shark and use this opportunity to upgrade to something better and if I'm not happy send it back and buy a second hand unit on ebay thats already had the protection wiped (they ranging from £99 - £120) as its only the unit with Bluetooth and SD card no Nav and No carplay.

Hi!

I’m habing the exact same issue. Did you find any way to fix it? If you changed the whole radio, was it easy??

Thanks!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Rikinillo99 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:00 pm
Hi!

I’m having the exact same issue. Did you find any way to fix it? If you changed the whole radio, was it easy??

Thanks!
Sorry, I've only read about this happening on these cars, on my wife's 2015 Polo this has not yet been a problem.
F17ANT
New

Post by F17ANT »

Rikinillo99 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:00 pm
F17ANT wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:39 am

Hi!

I’m habing the exact same issue. Did you find any way to fix it? If you changed the whole radio, was it easy??

Thanks!
I changed mine for a new unit that has applecarplay been flawless since. Even looks original too