Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by OomStu_ZA »

SRGTD wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:36 am I received an email yesterday from the salesperson I dealt with when I bought my current GTI+, inviting me to book an appointment to ‘assess my options’. VW currently have a Spring Sales Event, so I dare say the salesperson was attempting to entice me into ordering a new Polo GTI as I’ve had my car for 32 months, so they were probably thinking I may be considering buying a new one.

I politely declined the offer - I rather keep my old tech, non-connected pre-facelift GTI+ with proper physical knobs, buttons and switches and none of the software gremlins that the facelift cars seem to have 🤔.
+1 from me. With the last service of my car at 90 000KM's (3.5yrs old now) the sales manager also approached me and made me an offer I just had to refuse. To replace my car with all options ticked (sans Nav from factory) would cost me 22% more than what I paid in 2019. No thanks. My maintenance plan expires at 150 000KM's and will probably renew to 200 000KM.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I know I’m probably the only one, but I actually don’t mind the haptic buttons now I’ve had the car a while. I don’t like the fact I need to take my eyes off the road to use the haptic climate controls, but I do like that I can use the slider function for temperature, fan speed and even the radio volume.

Would I purposely choose a car with haptic buttons in future? No. I wouldn’t be as bothered by a car having them next time though.
Mike222
Getting There!
Drives: Polo gti 2023 face lift Reefblue /black

Post by Mike222 »

Well today I ordered a new Polo, PCP coming to an end on the grey GTI + . I have gone for a Reef blue with black roof . The car is already built and in transit from South Africa. A factory order is a 10 month wait ! So have decided to go with a car that my dealer already has in the pipeline. I am hoping the 18 inch wheels aren’t too bumpy a ride . They seem to be preferred by prospective customers so sales people are ordering them instead of 17 inch. The car has rear camera and Art velour heated seats which my wife will like !
I hope the new car will be as enjoyable as the old one , interested to see what the 7 speed box is like !
TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Post by TurboTrev »

Does the latest Polo GTI still just have the two suspension settings, or does it now have more now like the golf?

Also, does the GTI have the light strip that stretches across the full width of the front grill? If so, it it on with the drls, the headlights or both. Thanks.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

The car rides just fine on the 18in rims. No worries there.

Only two settings on the suspension (IE. Normal and Sport).

I think the light bar only comes on with the head lights.
TurboTrev
Getting There!

Post by TurboTrev »

^^^ Thanks for the reply MikeDO.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Unless you can change it with software, the light bar is only on with full headlights. Same with the front fogs, they come on automatically with headlights and can’t be turned off.
TurboTrev
Getting There!

Post by TurboTrev »

^^Thanks for the info.
Jamie7971
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Jamie7971 »

Hi all,

Been following the forums for a while and finally took delivery of my new GTI a few days ago. I was really chuffed as did a factory order in Jan so came through really quick. I went for white with black roof pack and the bigger wheels. I kept the red dash and must admit despite it being a marmite option I think it goes really nice with the white.

So far the car is brilliant. Obviously I'm still running it in but it is so nice to drive. It feels like one of those cars that is happy to race along but also happy to plod along at 60mph. For a new car I'm already getting some good MPG. I had a Polo before and I think like others have mentioned the build quality feels a little bit better. I can't put my finger on it but the doors feel a bit more solid to shut for example. I can't believe the amount of kit chucked in too. A lot to get used to and work out lol.

Just a couple of questions for you other owners.

1. What kind of fuel do you use? I know some people say the car costs a lot so use the super unleaded but others have said don't bother. I've also had people say use normal unleaded and once a month chuck in a tank of super.

2. On the infotainment system it is doing my head in that every time I start the car the music goes back to track one on the memory stick. This is despite me perhaps listening to something beginning with say "s" previously. I know there was something mentioned before about this on here but I can't for the life of me find it. Was there a solution?

Cheers

Jamie
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Jamie7971 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:08 pm Hi all,

Been following the forums for a while and finally took delivery of my new GTI a few days ago. I was really chuffed as did a factory order in Jan so came through really quick. I went for white with black roof pack and the bigger wheels. I kept the red dash and must admit despite it being a marmite option I think it goes really nice with the white.

So far the car is brilliant. Obviously I'm still running it in but it is so nice to drive. It feels like one of those cars that is happy to race along but also happy to plod along at 60mph. For a new car I'm already getting some good MPG. I had a Polo before and I think like others have mentioned the build quality feels a little bit better. I can't put my finger on it but the doors feel a bit more solid to shut for example. I can't believe the amount of kit chucked in too. A lot to get used to and work out lol.

Just a couple of questions for you other owners.

1. What kind of fuel do you use? I know some people say the car costs a lot so use the super unleaded but others have said don't bother. I've also had people say use normal unleaded and once a month chuck in a tank of super.

2. On the infotainment system it is doing my head in that every time I start the car the music goes back to track one on the memory stick. This is despite me perhaps listening to something beginning with say "s" previously. I know there was something mentioned before about this on here but I can't for the life of me find it. Was there a solution?

Cheers

Jamie
Welcome Jamie and hope you enjoy your new toy.

I can’t answer your second question, but for the first I use regular fuel and then chuck redex octane booster in. Works out cheaper for me and tracking my mpg I get better results when using it. However if I didn’t get the redex so cheap I’d chuck some premium fuel in every few tanks just to clean it out.
Aidey
New
Drives: 2022 Polo Gti

Post by Aidey »

Picked mine up a few weeks ago, Pretty impressed with it so far, I have had quite a few Vw golfs and a few R's but thought i would try this new Polo for a change.
Mike222
Getting There!

Post by Mike222 »

Picked up my face lifted GTI this morning. ( reef blue black roof , 18” wheels . Rear view camera. Art velours seats ) .
Initial impressions driving home . Seems quiet compared with gti + I like the seats . I was concerned about the 18” wheels being a harsher ride compared with 17 on old car . ( I need not have worried! ) car seems better build quality!
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

I said this when I got my gti and my wife her r line in the facelift. The car seems better quality, the doors feel less hollow, the ride is a bit nicer, etc.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:54 pm I said this when I got my gti and my wife her r line in the facelift. The car seems better quality, the doors feel less hollow, the ride is a bit nicer, etc.
That might be down to the placebo effect of a new car, and also the effect of replacing an existing car that has part worn components with a brand new one. In my reckless youth (which was a very long time ago 🤣), I replaced a two year old car with an identical brand new one; the replacement new car seemed quieter and ran more smoothly and I put that down to the fact it hadn’t seen 25k-30k miles of use that the car it replaced had seen.

IMHO it’s unlikely VW will have made a major investment in changing the construction of the doors to make them feel less hollow or altered the suspension set up to improve the ride on the facelift Polo; they’ll have been looking for the facelift changes to maximise or maintain customer interest and sales and for any financial investment they made in the facelift to be recouped by the end of the AW/BZ Polo’s lifecycle.

Historically, VW facelifts have tended to be mainly small, low cost cosmetic changes or ‘stealing / borrowing’ from the parts bin of other VW models, so that any investment in the changes can be recouped before the next generation model is launched. There have been instances where VW has used a facelift model to introduce next generation power plants and other mechanical changes that’ll be carried over to future models. However, with the next generation VW model ranges likely to be EV’s, there may be limited scope to carry over certain types of mechanical changes from final generation ICE models to next generation EV’s.

If the doors on the facelift Polo feel less hollow - presumably when closing them - it’s possible VW may have redesigned the door seals; something that I dare say would be relatively cheap to do, and redesigned door seals could also be used on other models which would shorten the investment payback period. Different brand of tyres - or a later version of an existing tyre - could alter the ride quality too; if VW had made changes to the Polo’s ride, then I think they’d have promoted those changes in their marketing material, and it would’ve been commented on by motoring journalists when they test drove the facelift car.

Whatever ‘hidden’ changes VW might - or might not - have made, it looks to be having a positive effect on the ownership experience.
Mike222
Getting There!

Post by Mike222 »

I think your may be correct regarding placebo effect ! Although I the modified engine cover is definitely reducing engine noise.
( It’s a much more substantial thick rubber ) .
As to the ride , I was expecting it to be harsher on the 18’s Compared with previous car , but it’s not ! But as you say , I am not comparing apples with apples , 17 - Michelin 18 - Continental, also the art velours seats are more compliant effecting the ride comfort .