VW Connect / Become primary user

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
wishawpubs
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

VW Connect / Become primary user

Post by wishawpubs »

I own a Polo GTI which was registered back at the end of November 2022. It was an ex-demonstrator which I purchased from a dealership in Preston as there were none for sale in Central Scotland back in January.

Anyway, ever since I’ve owned the car I have not been able to use VW Connect as I’m unable to become the primary user as I keep getting a “Unable to start app” warning on the infotainment screen.

I’ve had the car back at my local VW dealership twice and have also been in contact with VW Connect support both by telephone and email. Neither of whom have come up with a fix.

I actually got the car back yesterday after being at the dealership for 2 days and was advised a software fix was required and that could take months for VW to develop.

I have read on a number of forums about a similar issue just nothing Polo specific.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and managed to get it fixed?

Hardware : H57
Software : 0836
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: VW Connect / Become primary user

Post by SRGTD »

Forum member @lancslad1985 had issues with VW WeConnect in their new Polo GTI last year. They ended up rejecting the car as VW couldn’t solve the issue. See discussion thread at the link below.

@lancslad1985 hasn’t posted about any issues with VW WeConnect in their replacement car (another Polo GTI), so I’m assuming it’s been fine.

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=77752
wishawpubs
New

Post by wishawpubs »

I did notice that particular post back in January. Unfortunately rejecting the car isn’t really an option for me as I bought it outright.

It’s not really a problem for me just a pain in the backside being reminded every time I start the car.

I might just delete my login and run the car in guest mode until it's fixed.
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Post by Maarten »

Did you try factory reset of the infotainment?
This did the trick for me.
Factory reset, wait overnight, next day I could make myself primary user again.
wishawpubs
New

Post by wishawpubs »

I've just gaven the factory reset and leaving the car overnight a go. Unfortunately, that didn’t work.

I have tired a number of things such as a factory reset, soft reset, disconnecting the battery for an hour and even connecting the car to my home WIFI and routing that via a VPN to Frankfurt just in case there was any GEO-blocking. Nothing worked.

The car is definitely connected to the internet via the eSIM at I can sync my profile. I think either the hardware is faulty or the API in the software is pointing to an invalid URL or the URL is being blocked.
Maarten
Silver Member

Post by Maarten »

If you see the white globe than you have connection.
The eSim has 2 connections (so I've been told by support desk)
They also said there are/were a batch or cars that have/had primary user related issues and the my VIN nr also was in that batch. And that only the dealer could fix the issue.
Luckely, I could become primary user the day after, I remember now that I did make a new account at we-connect (diff. emailadres)
wishawpubs
New

Post by wishawpubs »

I’ve got the white globe on the screen. So I’m guessing the eSIM is ok.

I tried created a new account with a different email address a few days ago….that didn’t work ether. I’ve even tried changing the default country to Germany in the We Connect website.

My previous car a MK4 Leon had similar issues which were resolved with hardware/software updates when it was in for its 1st and 2nd services. I’ll just need to hold tight until the Polo is due it’s first service in November.

Just out of interest you wouldn’t happen to know which software version your car is running?
Maarten
Silver Member

Post by Maarten »

Currently on 0278 but I saw that version 0306 is available

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels:* None
Part No SW: 3G5 035 816 F HW: 3G5 035 816 F
Component: MU-O-ND-EU H22 0278
Serial number: VWZ---------------
Coding: 22700000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_MUOIMQB 001001
ROD: EV_MUOIMQB_001_VW27.rod
VCID: 2C0A6F0BF689145B6BB-8078

Display and control head 1 for information electronics:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5G6 919 606 HW: 5G6 919 606
Component: ABT_High-2 H61 9216
Serial number: VWZ---------------

Data carrier:
Subsystem 2 - Part No: V03 959 809 TB
Component: EUR 2021/22 5041
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I did indeed have issues. No matter what I did it would not connect and VW in Bolton said it wouldn’t even connect when plugged in. It was as if the WiFi module had been forgotten about. Bolton even said that they had a couple of other polos with the issues at the same time. I flat out rejected the car as I’d not even had it a month when the issue started and I’d complained.

My replacement “touchwood” has not had the same issue, nor had my wife’s r line bought at the same time as the faulty gti. I think the issue you’d have now isn’t that you’ve bought it outright, but you can basically reject any car no questions asked if you highlight issues within the first month of ownership to the dealer and they can’t put it right. You still have some rights now, but a flat out rejection would be tough. I just hope you didn’t buy it from Lookers VW in Preston as that was my old garage. They became so bad I switched to Bolton.
UCyborg
New
Drives: Polo Life 1.0 TSI 2022

Post by UCyborg »

Same issue with my Polo bought in September 2022, except back then I couldn't even login on the infotainment with VW ID account, now that works, but can't become primary user and still can't enter privacy and services menu under Users->Settings ("Unable to start app" message - seems both functions are connected to the same problematic app). Last time I was attempting was in November, back then I also asked about it on Ross-Tech forum (link to my thread). My unit also has hardware H57, but software version is 0809.
UCyborg
New

Post by UCyborg »

Issue resolved! No dealership visit, no software updates, no replacement of infotainment unit, but it actually took using VCDS software to alter specific adaptation setting on the infotainment control module.

Code: Select all

Address 5F,3G1 035 820 A,channel ENG278389-Market_and_brand_specific_preInstSet_of_webapps,adapted from,preinstallation_set_0 ,to,preinstallation_set_1 ,Saturday,20,May,2023,11:17:09:49452
After making the above adaptation change and rebooting the unit by holding the power button for cca. 10 seconds, both options to become primary user and open privacy and services settings have become functional.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Well done, although that’s annoying as I preferred my reef blue to my kings red if I’m honest :D
UCyborg
New

Post by UCyborg »

A strange thing that's happening since I got the unit to login as myself, contrary to when I was using a guest user, it doesn't remember the last screen I was on before turning off the ignition. I usually leave it on the car screen with the music playing via Bluetooth connection to my phone, but when I turn on the ignition, it goes to the radio screen.

I wonder if there's any update available for my unit as update checking is supposed to work now, but there hasn't been any notification about the update. So this particular unit is either up-to-date or maybe there's another loose end that it doesn't find an update that may exist. According to the manual, all conditions for update checking should be satisfied now.
UCyborg
New

Post by UCyborg »

About the thing not remembering the screen it was on...when you open the driver's door, the unit will start booting in the background (I think the boot process happens at that point only if you haven't opened passenger's door before that, if you did, it should be delayed to the point you turn the ignition on), the trick is to turn on the ignition soon enough after you open the door, if you're too late, it goes to radio.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

UCyborg wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:26 pm Issue resolved! No dealership visit, no software updates, no replacement of infotainment unit, but it actually took using VCDS software to alter specific adaptation setting on the infotainment control module.

Code: Select all

Address 5F,3G1 035 820 A,channel ENG278389-Market_and_brand_specific_preInstSet_of_webapps,adapted from,preinstallation_set_0 ,to,preinstallation_set_1 ,Saturday,20,May,2023,11:17:09:49452
After making the above adaptation change and rebooting the unit by holding the power button for cca. 10 seconds, both options to become primary user and open privacy and services settings have become functional.
makes you wonder why the VW garage could not have done this for you.. :roll: