New car! Oil leak worries, help sought

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Fitzroysdemise
New
Drives: 6N2

New car! Oil leak worries, help sought

Post by Fitzroysdemise »

Hello everyone! I'm new, name's KD. I've today acquired a 2001 1.4l E that's done 120k which is gonna be my only car for the foreseeable future. It's not only my first Polo but it's also my first car manufactured more recently than 1970 so lots of parts I'm unfamiliar with... Looking through this forum there's a helluva lot I don't know ("lamda sensor"?!)

First things first, making sure it's gonna last me, it's booked in to a garage for replacement cambelt and water pump (in July) as I'm superstitious about doing that on "new" cars.

Previous owner told me the starter solenoid is worn and that's the reason it only starts 50% of the time. Really hope so and I don't have to get into the gearbox to fix the issue!

My main worry is the MOT says minor oil leak and I've got no idea what is causing it and can't spot it myself. Anyone got any ideas for what I should be looking for and what would mean it's worrisome? I want to know as much as I can about my new car.

And what do folks do at the first signs of bubbling paint and rust around the sills - I don't want to let it worsen?!

Any suggestions on other major servicing items I shouldn't neglect on a 6N2 would be really welcome. I'm sorted for the very basics of topping up fluids, cleaning spark plugs, changing oil...
Fitzroysdemise
New
Drives: 6N2

Re: New car! Oil leak worries, help sought

Post by Fitzroysdemise »

I'm a real newbie, not just to the forum - what do I use to clean the engine when looking for this oil leak? Haven't had to use more than a soft brush before!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: New car! Oil leak worries, help sought

Post by alexperkins »

Welcome.

For the starter, I'd look to replace the starter in its entirety. you must make sure you change the bush on the gearbox housing too (they always include one with the new starter) as these wear down and youll quickly chew up a new starter motor otherwise

Ignition switch is known to fail on these as they get older

As for your oil leak, wipe it down with a rag and some brake&clutch cleaner spray. That breaks down oil and evaporates quickly as its solvent based.

Make sure you change the oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs and importantly the fuel filter as this often gets missed. Cabin filter is important to do also