R Line seats - Opinions?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Swain_M
New
Drives: 2020 RLine 1.0

R Line seats - Opinions?

Post by Swain_M »

Hi everyone I am new to the forum.

I drive a 2020 RLine 1 litre. I am very happy with this car, I am impressed with how ‘mature’ it feels compared to the previous models (this is not my first polo).

Anyway, my only issue with this car is on long trips the backs of my thighs ache terribly. No matter how much I fiddle with the settings of the seat I cannot seem to get comfy.

This problem might be peculiar just to me, but I wondered if any other owners of this car have any opinion on the comfort of the seat?

I suspect it’s the way the seat is raked upward toward the wheel, I seem to be sitting with all my weight on the backs of my thighs. There is no setting to adjust the rake of the seat cushion (that I am aware of).

Thanks!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: R Line seats - Opinions?

Post by SRGTD »

Not an R-Line, but I’ve only found a comfortable driving position in my 2020 GTI+ within the last six months, and I’ve owned the car from new for just over 34 months! The main area of discomfort I experienced was under my left thigh. My current car is my fifth VW and I never had an issue with seat comfort in any of the previous four cars.

I have long term back issues so seat comfort is important to me (I’ve slipped a disc on various occasions which has left me with sciatica most of the time). I tried adjusting pretty much every thing - seat height, backrest angle, backrest lumbar support, fore and aft position of the seat, height of upper seat belt mount, headrest height, steering wheel reach and rake. I also checked under the seat cushion to make sure the seat cushion foam wasn’t disintegrating (it wasn’t). With perseverance and small adjustments to fine tune the items listed over a number of months and I’ve now found a position that’s OK for me. I’ve made a note of what’s been adjusted and the amount of the adjustments made, so if (or being realistic, when) the seating position gets changed when the car goes back to the dealer for servicing work, I can hopefully reset it back in the ‘correct’ position.

Perseverance is key in finding that sweet spot. You might also want to consider some form of orthopaedic foam seat cushion wedge; Google ‘car seat cushion foam wedges’ and you’ll see there are at variety of types available. You may also find the guide at the link below useful.

https://www.physiomed.co.uk/uploads/gui ... igital.pdf

Good luck! I hope you find that optimum searing position soon 🤞.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

My wife has the facelift r line and loves it, no aches or pains at all. I’m the same in my gti. Think maybe we got luck with our setups quickly.

My only issue is I need a little lumbar support now but that’s my back.
Swain_M
New

Post by Swain_M »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:43 pm Not an R-Line, but I’ve only found a comfortable driving position in my 2020 GTI+ within the last six months, and I’ve owned the car from new for just over 34 months! The main area of discomfort I experienced was under my left thigh. My current car is my fifth VW and I never had an issue with seat comfort in any of the previous four cars.

I have long term back issues so seat comfort is important to me (I’ve slipped a disc on various occasions which has left me with sciatica most of the time). I tried adjusting pretty much every thing - seat height, backrest angle, backrest lumbar support, fore and aft position of the seat, height of upper seat belt mount, headrest height, steering wheel reach and rake. I also checked under the seat cushion to make sure the seat cushion foam wasn’t disintegrating (it wasn’t). With perseverance and small adjustments to fine tune the items listed over a number of months and I’ve now found a position that’s OK for me. I’ve made a note of what’s been adjusted and the amount of the adjustments made, so if (or being realistic, when) the seating position gets changed when the car goes back to the dealer for servicing work, I can hopefully reset it back in the ‘correct’ position.

Perseverance is key in finding that sweet spot. You might also want to consider some form of orthopaedic foam seat cushion wedge; Google ‘car seat cushion foam wedges’ and you’ll see there are at variety of types available. You may also find the guide at the link below useful.

https://www.physiomed.co.uk/uploads/gui ... igital.pdf

Good luck! I hope you find that optimum searing position soon 🤞.
Hi thanks for the reply!

I don’t have any back problems (that I know about at least!) but I had the exact same thing .. my left thigh, not matter if I rest on the floor or the deadpedal, seems to be the worst. Like a dull ache almost like I’m trapping a nerve.

I dearly hope that I find a sweet spot like yourself, it would be a real shame to swap this car because aside from this issue everything is perfect.
Swain_M
New

Post by Swain_M »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:33 pm My wife has the facelift r line and loves it, no aches or pains at all. I’m the same in my gti. Think maybe we got luck with our setups quickly.

My only issue is I need a little lumbar support now but that’s my back.
Hey thanks for the reply.

This is a bit of an odd one for me, because the first few months after purchasing the car everything was fine, no discomfort at all. In fact the very first day I picked it up I had a long journey to do and everything was great.

This problem seems to have appeared recently. I don’t think it’s anything wrong with me though, this pain is very specific and only ever appears sitting in my car.

There is a possibility though that I’ve played about with the seat so much it’s just miles out from where it was initially.