travel assist currently unavailable

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Re: travel assist currently unavailable

Post by johnpolo2 »

As I've said before, bizarrely after my car went to the dealership, the original problem disappeared, and a new one appeared.
To this day, I have problems with Bluetooth dropping, and the travel assist problem has completely vanished. The dealership says no updates were downloaded when they had the car. Curious and curiouser.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:10 am
johnpolo2 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:35 am
MikeDO wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:36 pm Just wondering if anyone that's waiting for a new steering wheel has heard anything yet?

Last I heard was "by the end of June". Might give the dealer a buzz next week and see what's going on (assuming they know of course :D ).
No news on my steering wheel. Went in on the middle of April. May chase mine up now it's reminded me.
Lots of mk8 Golf owners waiting for new steering wheels and have been waiting many months. From what I’ve read on some of the Golf forums, a new steering wheel doesn’t always fix the issue either….🤔
I hear what you say and have seen the same posts re Golf.

But there was a rumor doing the rounds, that VW were stopping replacing the current steering wheel like-for-like (IE. haptic controls version) and that new replacement steering wheels would revert back to ones with "real" buttons.
Not sure how much truth there is in this though. Time will tell.

Though since I got my new steering column (to fix the creaking noise) I only get the "travel assist" warning message occasionally, rather than none stop. Coincidence?
But even occasionally is too often in my books.

TBC
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

Dealership called me today. New steering wheel is in. Got it booked in for next week.
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

johnpolo2 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:10 pm Dealership called me today. New steering wheel is in. Got it booked in for next week.
Good news.

Do you know if it's "like-for-like" (IE. haptic controls), or one of the supposedly new steering wheels where they have gone back to old fashioned buttons?
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

That I don't know Mike. Will find out next week.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MikeDO wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:34 pm
johnpolo2 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:10 pm Dealership called me today. New steering wheel is in. Got it booked in for next week.
Good news.

Do you know if it's "like-for-like" (IE. haptic controls), or one of the supposedly new steering wheels where they have gone back to old fashioned buttons?
johnpolo2 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:01 am That I don't know Mike. Will find out next week.
Mk8 Golf owners who’ve had replacement steering wheels fitted have had like for like replacements, so I dare say it’ll be the same with the Polo.
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

So I've had the steering wheel replaced, like for like.
A software update was also done for Bluetooth, which became the real problem for me. So far, so good.
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

johnpolo2 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:06 pm So I've had the steering wheel replaced, like for like.
A software update was also done for Bluetooth, which became the real problem for me. So far, so good.
Good news. Lets hope that's the problem permanently sorted for you.

Gave my dealer a phone this morning to ask if the new steering wheel had turned up and was told "it's just arrived" (indeed!?).

Unluckily the earliest date that they could book me in for was the 21st September. They always seem very busy. Probably due to being a large multi dealership franchise.
So also booked it in for it's 1st service at the same time.

Cars..............
Aidey
New
Drives: 2022 Polo Gti

Post by Aidey »

I'll join the club of travel assist woes, mine started to do it a few weeks back and get it about 4 times a day now, really annoying as i had a mk8 r that i hated due to the interior system being absolutely useless, hope this is fixed somehow
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

Aidey wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:52 pm I'll join the club of travel assist woes, mine started to do it a few weeks back and get it about 4 times a day now, really annoying as i had a mk8 r that i hated due to the interior system being absolutely useless, hope this is fixed somehow
If it's the same thing as everyone else. Then sadly the only fix is a replacement steering wheel. And unless availability has improved, then the wait list for one of these runs into several months.

As I've commented before... VW (this problem also effects other VAG models with similar steering wheel) has known about this problem for the best part of three years.
I personally find it disgusting that they have not come up with a "real" fix for this ages ago.
The attitude seems to be "lets replace the steering wheel" and hope the problem goes away. The technician at my local dealership pretty much admitted that this was the case.
Also rather sadly, there are numerous accounts on the Internet of people getting a new steering wheel, only for the problem to re-occur several weeks.months later :(

Good luck.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

I read an interesting post over on the Golf R forum earlier today regarding replacement steering wheels to resolve the travel assist / SOS issue. Interesting (and quite concerning?) to see the number of steering wheel replacements, many of which are 2nd replacements - presumably because the first replacement didn’t fix the issue.

I’ve taken the liberty of copying and pasting that post here (credit for the post goes to Golf R forum member Bugs2206)

Booked in for diagnostics for travel assist bongs. Been getting steadily worse over the last few weeks since first service (don't think it's related). Shame really as I have had a good year of no issues.

The guy was very chilled about it just asked was it SOS or travel assist and as soon as I said a variety he said yeah probably steering wheel and booked me straight in.

I asked some additional info if it helps anyone. Could be dealer talk so take with pinch of salt:

VW threshold for faults is about 5 occurrences for the error, and then they'll order the part.
At one point they had 55k wheels on order across the UK. A lot of those were repeat orders, for 2nd new wheel.
They did change the part numbers for the wheel. Official policy from VW now is to just change the outer rim of the wheel and the dealer swap all the components out, apparently to save cash.
Also confirmed they've had tiguans and arteons with the same issues. I also know someone with a Skoda with issues.
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

If the fault rate was as high as 50k replacements in the UK alone! Considering the time frame for a replacement wheel (IE. several months), then I can actually believe this figure.
Then I'm truly shocked that VW have not got to the bottom of this issue quicker. Assuming they actually know what the underlying problem actually is.

Mine gets replace on the 21st of next month.
Though it's actually been pretty quiet since they replaced the steering column. Connected issue maybe? Who knows!

PS. There are loads of complaints from Skoda owners if you dig around on GOOGLE. Sad really...
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

MikeDO wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:15 pm If the fault rate was as high as 50k replacements in the UK alone! Considering the time frame for a replacement wheel (IE. several months), then I can actually believe this figure.
Then I'm truly shocked that VW have not got to the bottom of this issue quicker. Assuming they actually know what the underlying problem actually is.

Mine gets replace on the 21st of next month.
Though it's actually been pretty quiet since they replaced the steering column. Connected issue maybe? Who knows!

PS. There are loads of complaints from Skoda owners if you dig around on GOOGLE. Sad really...
Agree, it is a shocking situation. I dare say that sadly, VW’s priority is generating sales volume and revenue rather than fixing problems. Even coming up with fixes for safety related issues that are the subject of official recalls can take them many months - e.g. the 2018 recall (VW R/2018/142) on the current generation Polo (and Seat’s Ibiza) to fix a faulty rear seat belt buckle that could unfasten involuntarily in certain situations seemed to take ages to resolve. In the meantime, cars with faulty seat belt buckles were still being built and sold 🤔.

Back on the subject of replacement steering wheels - there was one Australian forum member on the Golf R forum who, from memory, had been waiting since February for a replacement steering wheel and up until a few weeks ago they were still being told it was on back order. In the end they rejected their car and were going to buy a non VAG replacement.

Hopefully your replacement steering wheel solves your issue permanently 🤞.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Fingers crossed all get it sorted. Touchwood I’ve been lucky with mine but currently looking to change the car so hopefully it can last a bit longer.
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

Just to add, my replacement steering wheel so far continues to be a success. It has been many weeks since fitting.