1999 Polo central locking - electric instead vacuum ?

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
telbert twang
New
Drives: 1999 AER 1.0

1999 Polo central locking - electric instead vacuum ?

Post by telbert twang »

Hi,

Can someone tell - were there two different central locking systems fitted to 6N1 from factory - vacuum and also electric ? Were some (even 5D-s) totally manually locking, from factory? Mine is a 1999 1.0 37kw/50PS AER 5D with electric doors locks . The problem is, that there is no actuator present in tailgate, although the cables run in and being cut . Cannot imagine - what could do in there? Perhaps to install the universal electric actuator ? But how should it be installed , mechanically ? The doors locking works well . Bought this Polo as a backup to cover my drive needs while main car being fixed and maintained for quite a while , but it has been much fun to drive and reanimate it´s age problems. So , now it´ s time for bootlid / tailgate lock actuator getting fixed . Any pictures or videos to share about it?

Thanks in advance!
TT
JUUL
Getting There!
Drives: 6N 1995

Re: 1999 Polo central locking - electric instead vacuum ?

Post by JUUL »

Normally all Polo's 6N1 are fitted with pneumatic locking. I believe electric locking for the Polo begun in 2002 with the Polo 9n. Both 6N1 and 6N2 Polo's should have pneumatic locking. Reading your reply, I assume a previous owner removed the central locking for some reason. The original part number is 6N0 862 159A or 6N0 862 159B.
CV Polo.PNG
CV Polo.PNG (93.4 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
In the picture above you can see nr. 3 is the vacuum actuator which belongs in your car. I took the liberty to share the website where I found this information so you can browse around for yourself. I hope you have enough information to carry on with your repair :mrgreen:

Source: volkswagen.7zap.com
telbert twang
New

Post by telbert twang »

Thanks - this is a super cool link !

Yes - mine has got the electrically operating centr. locking system (It is the "Joker" model - meant only for German inner marked as i have read: 1.0 AER, manually operated windows, key operated door locks (on both fwd doors, locking fuel cap, every lock (incl. the tailgate) operated via the same, i.e. ignition key), sunroof and power steering, but for example no saloon light switches on aft doors and no boot light at all ?). the actuators are very similar to the universal ones (except mine are different colour - whitish/beige, "MES / Swiss made") :

Perhaps the "Joker" didn´t have vacuum, so the original owner got an electrical kit installed (and the fitters could not think out the mechanical fitting solutions between the tail gate lock and electric actuator? This was the original reason toi write here to find out any info about installing / pictures , etc of the tailgate´s el. actuator , but this may not have been the factory cas at all, then ...
telbert twang
New

Post by telbert twang »

... Anybody to share knowledge, pictures, info, about possibilities/how to install this (pic in previous post) universal type elec motor actuator into hatch lock (5D, 3D models) ? Even pics/video about the vacuum operated factory solution would be helpful, i guess...

Rgds,
TT
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Take a look at the r-click guide in the DIY section
telbert twang
New

Post by telbert twang »

JUUL wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:50 pm ...Normally all Polo's 6N1 are fitted with pneumatic locking. ....[/url]
... Some "research", meanwhile :

Mine might have come without any, from factory. It may have been someone just got/installed the aftermatket elec C.Locking kit , but ran to wall with the tailgate actuator installation (the wires have been decently drawn to the tailgate as well, though) , as there are actually two different lock cylinder frames, which i just recently discovered - the Vac C.Lock version has a proper actuator/rod engagement spot, while the manually locking version does not. (edit: my problem is moreover mechanical, with the tailgate)
Last edited by telbert twang on Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
telbert twang
New

Post by telbert twang »

alexperkins wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:36 pm Take a look at the r-click guide in the DIY section
i fail to locate it - can you give the link, please?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

telbert twang
New

Post by telbert twang »

alexperkins wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:09 pm https://f.shortnd.it/ukp/vw_polo.pdf
thanks!
tt