Brake pad contact

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Brake pad contact

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes the battery coding is carried out in the CAN-Gateway controller for this model of Polo.

What you need to consider is, in the general workshop environment, a lot of these actions have been dumbed down, so "anyone" can carry it out, and as such, your workshop might just have a specific "tool" for coding batteries on many marques of cars - so the operator might never know that he/she is addressing the CAN-Gateway when they are carrying out this task.

VCDS is designed to be used by someone that is willing to and can dig deep down and find where to change things and so is very flexible, Carista for instance just has a series of "one click options" - ie it has been dumbed down for maybe dummies to use. So in Carista, you just connect to the car, and go into, if I remember correctly "advanced servicing" and from there select "battery coding" and that presents you with a few options, like "technology", "capacity" and "serial number" - so hopefully as you can see, the operator does not know or need to know where to look for it, the Carista app does all that in the background - but the end result is the same, ie "job done".

Edit:- that wiki link to Rosstech covers a few "types" of versions of where the battery coding exists and how it is presented to the operator, your Polo is the more simplified newer and less restrictive version of this.

Another Edit:- I always think that if you as a "non car" person, take your car into a workshop where there are many trained people, and try regurgitating something that you have read online - then you are just fooling yourself and maybe even annoying, amusing or alienating yourself to that workshop staff - and you will probably pay for doing that.
AlexT99
New
Drives: 17 Plate VW Polo mk5 6C 1.2TSI 90PS

Post by AlexT99 »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:52 am Yes the battery coding is carried out in the CAN-Gateway controller for this model of Polo.

What you need to consider is, in the general workshop environment, a lot of these actions have been dumbed down, so "anyone" can carry it out, and as such, your workshop might just have a specific "tool" for coding batteries on many marques of cars - so the operator might never know that he/she is addressing the CAN-Gateway when they are carrying out this task.

VCDS is designed to be used by someone that is willing to and can dig deep down and find where to change things and so is very flexible, Carista for instance just has a series of "one click options" - ie it has been dumbed down for maybe dummies to use. So in Carista, you just connect to the car, and go into, if I remember correctly "advanced servicing" and from there select "battery coding" and that presents you with a few options, like "technology", "capacity" and "serial number" - so hopefully as you can see, the operator does not know or need to know where to look for it, the Carista app does all that in the background - but the end result is the same, ie "job done".

Edit:- that wiki link to Rosstech covers a few "types" of versions of where the battery coding exists and how it is presented to the operator, your Polo is the more simplified newer and less restrictive version of this.

Another Edit:- I always think that if you as a "non car" person, take your car into a workshop where there are many trained people, and try regurgitating something that you have read online - then you are just fooling yourself and maybe even annoying, amusing or alienating yourself to that workshop staff - and you will probably pay for doing that.
I get what you're saying. If I was saying things in a way that suggested they were thick as sh*t or something. "Teaching a granny how to suck eggs"
Then I can see that biting me in the ass. But I genuinely asked them about battery coding and they shrugged it off and acted like they didn't know much about it. Of course then I explained how I read online that a VAG-COM can be used to code the battery. Still got crickets from the guys.
Maybe I will phone a few places and ask if they do battery coding. I assume they will all say yes though because a customer is a customer?

I get what you're saying about the different platforms. Essentially, it doesn't matter which one the mechanic uses, the same job is performed and the same outcome is achieved. The approach type doesn't really matter.

In this case I think I will take it to an auto-electrics place and ask them to code new the battery.
Do you think I should give them the specs? Or should I leave them to check the battery?
Do you think I should mention that the serial number has to be changed for the car to see it as a new battery or should I just assume they will know this info? :mrgreen:

I suppose there is a fine line between asking someone if they know something and offending them with the question
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I suppose you could ask them if they are just going to alter the existing serial number and see what the answer is - as your new battery will not have a BEM type et of data printed on it. They will read the specs off the battery.

By now "battery coding" must be a well known easy task for workshops.
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

... you might have the usual bad luck of having the workshop manager delegate the work that needs to be done on your 6C to the newbie they just hired on a low-paying apprentice contract, so you have to continue with that distrust of anything can happen and tell them how granny sucks eggs the right way ...

Now seriously, trusting others is like accepting all the cookies on your damn smartphone, with a single click... find your mental click because finally you will end up paying for the contracted work... so keep calm, relax and enjoy.